Came home with a Ruger GP100

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by BamaFan, Jul 2, 2013.

1. BamaFan

BamaFan New Member

I have just recently sold my Ruger LCR since I don't carry it anymore and I just bought a Ruger GP100 with a 6 inch barrel. I will get it cleaned up tomorrow but probably won't get to choot it due to the rain that's sposed to move in. Anyways I have googled some holsters for this bad boy but didn't really get what I was looking for. So I figured I would post on a Ruger forum in the Ruger revolver sub forum and see if anyone that has GP100 with a 6 inch barrel and a holster could post some pictures or give me a link or two in the right direction. I bought a uncle mikes just for starters but thats gotta go. I will post pictures tomorrow and thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2013
  2. BamaFan

BamaFan New Member

Here is a picture of it, still no range report this dang rain ain't movin out. [​IMG][​IMG]

3. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Good looking gun....congrats....

4. craigsfishing

craigsfishing New Member

Attached Files:

5. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

Fine revolver. You might want to consider replacing the Hogue grips with the original wooden insert panel grips. I personally think they're much better looking. I didn't like the feel of the Hogues and find I shoot better with the originals on. Just a personal comment for your consideration. Don

6. BamaFan

BamaFan New Member

I am replacing the grips with these.... [​IMG]

7. BamaFan

BamaFan New Member

My HiViz sight came in yesterday. I will be installing it todat. Pictures to come.

8. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Sounds great....I installed a HiViz on my SP101 and my Mark III...awesome sites.....

9. BamaFan

BamaFan New Member

Here is my new sight installed. I like it...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  10. craigsfishing

craigsfishing New Member

looks like the same sight I put on mine. Midway USA has a huge variety of the Hogue grips.

11. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I bought a Bianci leather holster that fits my GP100 6" model perfectly. Can be carried on right hip or cross mounted on left hip......Love the smell of leather with a hint of Hoppes 9:D:metal2:

12. BamaFan

BamaFan New Member

Do you have a picture with your gun in it? I looked at the Bianci website but I would like to see what it looks like with the gun in it. Thanks

13. Don

Don Member

Congrats on your GP100. I had a 6" for years and during one of my spastic spells sold it. After a couple years of kicking myself I bought another one, this time in a 4". It is such a solid and nice shooting gun! I sure hope I don't go spastic again cause this is one I'd like to leave for my grandson. Is there anything made by man prettier than a Ruger SS revover? I think not!

14. BamaFan

BamaFan New Member

I don't know whats gotten into me but with the Ruger blackhawk 44mag and the GP100 I am really loving my wheel guns and forgetting more and more bout my automatics. I would really like to add a 45LC in stainless steel to the stable.

15. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I'm not good with posting pics. I'll try, but it may be a bit as I needt otake the pic, etc. :D

It looks real good and is comfortable in both side and cross mount on a belt.

The snap is tight at first, but once it shapes itself and is broken in, it's just an easy thumb flip to open it and to snap it back.

The gun fits perfectly. Hope this helps.;)

16. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

My GP100 has become addictive almost. The autos are getting outshot 2 to one. Just a great feeling extremely accurate gun is all I can say..... Having trouble finding brass. But I've taken to loading 158 grain lead wadcutters with lower load of powder so brass isn't getting stressed as much.

17. ecuchief

ecuchief New Member

I have a 6" GP100 and I use Uncle Mike's vertical shoulder holster. http://holsters.unclemikes.com/Holsters/Ruger/GP 100/6/Vertical Shoulder

I had a Colt Trooper 4" and had a Uncle Mike's vertical to carry and like it a lot. The 6" holster size for my GP100 feels like a good fit as well, however, the only problem I have is when I go to sit on the ground, when hunting or bend down at certain times to pick up something on the ground, the belt loop snap button always pops open. I am 6'6" and have the adjustment as tight as I can get it, however, it just hits my belt at times and pops that snap. I am planning to get a belt holster for hunting, similar to what craigsfishing posted above. Otherwise, I'm going to have to figure out something to help keep that snap fastened. I have considered removing the snap and replacing it with some type of turn snap button (http://www.sailrite.com/Common-Sense-Fastener-Cloth-to-Cloth-Complete-Unit). However, I am concerned that it poke my "love handles" too much and become irritating. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  18. craigsfishing

craigsfishing New Member

Worn cross-draw, I think the holster I Posted will work well sitting/hunting, but truth is I haven't been hunting with it. YET! Craig

19. BamaFan

BamaFan New Member

Well the grips I had posted earlier won't be here for a while. I got an email sating it will be 3 weeks before they ship out even though they showed in stock when I ordered. I got curious and started looking at other sites which stated it would be 7 weeks to December before they got them in. Whats the deal with these grips?