calling Single Six experts... tell me about my gun!

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by Schroedinger, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Schroedinger

Schroedinger New Member

Greetings all! New to the board. Just picked up this used Single Six today... I've been looking for a .22 plinker as a range toy, and always wanted one of these revolvers. It has definitely been used and has some wear and tear, but I got it for a fair price.

It is a Single Six New Model. Using the serial number, it dates to 1974 (cool... my birthyear). Shot it this afternoon; great shooting gun! Very accurate, and nice feel.

I figured this forum might have some historians that can tell me a little more about the gun. I actually don't know a lot about the model. I know that some of them can be converted to shoot .22WMR as well... is that possible with this gun? I like .22LR just fine, but it can be hard to find around here.

[​IMG]

2. weblance

weblance New Member

Its a 4 5/8" barrel model, one of the rarer lengths. Its a New Model. It can shoot 22 WMR with the correct 22 WMR cylinder. All Ruger Single Action 22 revolvers, made after 1961, have the WMR barrel bore. Its one of the greatest 22 revolvers ever made. It was Bill Rugers second design, after the iconic Standard Pistol. Dont let the bore rust, and it will still be shooting 100 years from now. The Single Six is that good.

I have one just like it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014

3. Schroedinger

Schroedinger New Member

Thanks for the reply! I spent the night stripping it down and giving it a good cleaning and oiling. The whole gun was pretty dirty, especially the bore and cylinder. I've got her gleaming like a new penny, and the action and trigger feel amazing. Can't wait to shoot it again!

4. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Nice score on the Single Six. These are magnificent guns and if halfway maintained they will last for many generations. Good job on tackling the cleaning job. For me, cleaning and maintaining my firearms is one of the most enjoyable aspects of this hobby.

If yours did not come with a .22WMR cylinder you should call Ruger and see if there is any way to buy one from them. My understanding is that these have to be hand-fitted thus they would probably need you to send the gun in. Ruger turnaround times for things like this are very good though. My Single Nine was back in a week when I sent it in for a problem.

Or just enjoy the gun in .22LR. It will also shoot .22 shorts and longs. For WMR you need the other cylinder.

My Single Six Hunter:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  5. weblance

weblance New Member

Redleg IS right. Ruger WANTS you to send in the revolver to be checked, and timed, when fitting for the WMR cylinder. However, many people buy a WMR cylinder on places like Ebay, and simply drop them in. Im not telling you its ok to do this, just relaying the info that there never really seems to be a problem doing this. If you go this route, find a New Model 22 WMR cylinder. Also, make a visual check to see that it lines up correctly before you shoot it. If you are at all hesitant to do this, then send it to Ruger, if you really want the ability to shoot WMR though your SS. That way, you have no worries.

Here is a pic of one of my other Single Sixes.

[​IMG]

6. Schroedinger

Schroedinger New Member

Wow... those stainless guns are awful purty. :)

Good to know that I can also shoot .22 short and long in the current cylinder. Finding any .22 rimfire ammo around here is hit or miss lately... infuriating, but what can you do. WMR is easier to find and more expensive, but still quite a bit less expensive than the 9mm I run through my CZ-75. There's a gun show in two weeks, gonna check it out to see if I can find some LR in bulk.

Think I'm going to call Ruger this week about sending the gun in for a WMR barrel, and to have the timing checked out.

7. weblance

weblance New Member

You already have the WMR barrel. Every Ruger Single Action 22 revolver built after 1961 already has the WMR barrel. You need a WMR CYLINDER.

8. Schroedinger

Schroedinger New Member

whoops- that's what I meant. Thanks!

9. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

The NM 4 5/8" aren't what I'd call "rare" by any means. Pretty darn common actually and they've been making them steady since 1973. The cylinder….good chance you can indeed grab one on ebay, a forum a show, a shop…wherever and it'll be a drop-in without any issues.
    The trip to Ruger will cost more but it'll give you that 100% guarantee of everything fitting and they'll do a complete check replacing any worn parts.

10. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I would send the gun in to get the .22WMR cylinder. This is a really nice thing to have. Shooting .22WMR is great fun, and like you say, sometimes that is what is available.

In a pinch .22WMR is also a very credible self-defense round, too.

11. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I would send the gun in to get the .22WMR cylinder. This is a really nice thing to have. Shooting .22WMR is great fun, and like you say, sometimes that is what is available.

Plus, if you send the gun in for this, I am imagining that Ruger will check out the entire gun.

In a pinch .22WMR is also a very credible self-defense round, too.

12. Schroedinger

Schroedinger New Member

Update on the gun...

After shooting it three times this weekend with three different types of ammo, I came to the conclusion that the precision was terrible. At 15 yards, it wouldn't group any closer than 5 inches... for comparision, my CZ-75B 9mm groups at about 1.5 inches at the same distance. It actually got worse after I cleaned the bore thoroughly. I suspect this is because of the larger convertible bore.. maybe it would have shot better with the magnum ammo, but I didn't want to put any more money into the gun.

Took it back to the shop I bought it at yesterday, and got a Mark III target instead. Put about 150 rounds through it, precision is amazing... tiny groups at any distance. On the other hand, stripping it down to clean it last night was a PAIN. Took me an hour to get the gun re-assembled properly. Now that I've figured out the hammer/hammer arm/trigger/magazine lock situation, I think it will be easier the next time.

13. weblance

weblance New Member

Something wasnt right with your Single Six. Even with the larger bore for WMR ammo, they are very accurate with Long Rifle. Mine will group into 2-3", elbows rested, at 25 yards, with LR ammo they like.

My Single Ten is exceptionally accurate. It also has the .224 bore for WMR, even though its a dedicated LR gun. It is as accurate as my Mark II Target at 25 yards. I would never have believed that, if someone had told me that.

Your Mark III Target will be extremely accurate. They are excellent pistols. Dont shoot any Hyper Velocity ammo through a Mark Pistol. No Stingers, Yellow Jackets, or Vipers.

The Mark III pistols need trigger work. I have 3 of them, and the triggers were very heavy, compared to my Mark II. There are drop in trigger components that will give you a very good trigger. Volquartsen(spelling?) is one popular way to go, as is the Speed Strip kit from Majestic Arms. I have the Speed Strip in all 3 of my Mark III Pistols. Not because I cant Dis/Reassemble my guns, but for $60 dollars, it dumps the magazine disconnect, vastly improves the trigger, AND gives you the benefit of the Speed Strip.

You want the 3.2 kit from Majestic Arms, if you go that route.

14. Schroedinger

Schroedinger New Member

Yeah, there was definitely something about that Single Six that wasn't right. Funny you mention the trigger on the Mark III... I've already been researching the Volquartsen kit. Funny thing about these guns is that field stripping gets you 75% of the way towards doing serious trigger work. Have you had the chance to compare the Valquartsen vs. Majestic? Price aside, what do you like better about one vs. the other?

15. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Well, you made another good choice. The Mark III Target is a great pistol. Here is mine:

[​IMG]

16. Schroedinger

Schroedinger New Member

Nice gun Redleg. Where did you get the fiber optic front sight? Does it work with the factory rear sight? Do you like it? Also, how do you like those wood grips? All upgrades I'm considering on my gun. Thanks

17. Redleg

Redleg New Member

The FO front sight is the Hi Viz front sight. You can buy it on Amazon. The grips are the Ruger grips on shopruger.com. Yes, the front sight has an identical POA as the black factory front sight and I like it a lot. I have trouble seeing a black front sight when shooting at my usual black targets. Love the grips. Very ergonomic and I like the look as well. All of these mods are easy to do, obviously. Use a little blue Threadlocker when replacing the front sight and you will be good to go. The same screw is used for the factory sight as the Hi Viz sight or you can use the one that comes with the Hi Viz sight if you want an allen screw instead of the Ruger slotted screw.

18. buildit

buildit Goofy Owner

I keep looking at the user name and thinking if the gun was still in the box it would be both accurate and inaccurate at the same time. LOL

PS How's the cat? ;)

19. thtguy1234

thtguy1234 Will

Just going back to the single six situation, I have one and I'm not particularly proud to say that I have shot lr out of the magnum cylinder before, it does no damage but does exactly what you described, it may be possible that you had the magnum cylinder the whole time and that was the reason for poor performance, I've personally never known any of these guns to give bad performance under any other circumstances.