Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard this on the news today that Ca. wants money back from National Guardsmen who signed up for a re-enlistment bonus. Some of the bonuses run from $15K-$25k. If you were deployed and signed up and got a bonus, California stated that it's legal for them to ask for a refund from men and women who were deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. The reason was not given nor who had to refund the money. They did not specify any MOS or specify on which groups. One sergeant had deployed and they wanted $15K back from him and he said he would fight it. He had 22 yrs. of service. He would have to re-mortgage his house or sell it. Details are very vague presently and the news mostly skipped over the details. If anyone has any info on this, I would sure like to hear about it. If Obama has a phone and pen he can do a presidential fiat (I hope that's the right word) and do the same thing for the vets like he did Obamacare. I have not tried to do research on this but am going to find out as much as I can. I am afraid Hilldebeast is going to win and I am sure she will follow through on this. Of course the money will make our country better as some illegal alien will get it so they can live a prosperous and better life.

Tommy

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
IF this happens, and they go forward with this,

I will advocate ...INSURRECTION ..or MUTINY ...by the troops.

Jim

·
Banned
5,591 Posts
I just watched this story on the news. Apparently, it only applies to California National Guard. This "special" bonus money was only to be used for reenlistments in "special" war assignments, but they provided these special bonuses to all during this time frame. Now that the California National Guard is hemorrhaging from a lack of money, they sent in some pencil pushers and discovered this error. We now have some high ranking legislators fighting to allow them to keep the money.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Seems like there is an old saying (there usually is): The foolish can be taught; there is no fix for stupid.

Stupid screwed up the payout - and there is no fix for that.

·
Banned
5,591 Posts
Just heard "breaking news" on this topic. Prezzy Obammie just weighed in and said he demands that the soldiers be treated fair. Well, that is typical liberal bullcrap IMHO.

Paul Ryan is now taking a stand to have the government dismiss the lost money. Finally have someone trying to do the right thing with our very own heroes.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Yep there is that loyalty to our troops. They have created a loop hole to rip off the troops. Yeah use the money to pay for all the bottom feeders that could be working.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Just heard "breaking news" on this topic. Prezzy Obammie just weighed in and said he demands that the soldiers be treated fair. Well, that is typical liberal bullcrap IMHO.
"Treated fair"...? Obammie demands huh.
Is that kinda like what the definition of IS is?

I'd bet our soldiers have had enough of Obammie "fair", same as our police!!!
Same as ANYBODY, joe citizen or police that doesn't let some thug murder them.

Fair? We'll see.....

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have an idea, how about those worthless government employees who oversaw this program be forced to pay the money back out of their overly inflated salaries?

·
Banned
5,591 Posts
It seems to have been resolved.

DEFENSE SECRETARY ORDERS PENTAGON TO STOP SEEKING REPAYMENTS OF ENLISTMENT BONUSES GIVEN TO CALIF. NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERS

BRUSSELS -- U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter has ordered the Pentagon to stop seeking repayments of enlistment bonuses given to California National Guard members who served overseas.

His decision comes in the wake of angry reaction from members of Congress who demanded he relieve the burden on the Guard members. And the White House said President Barack Obama has warned the Defense Department not to "nickel and dime" service members who were victims of fraud by overzealous recruiters.

In a statement issued during a meeting of defense ministers in Brussels, Carter said effort to collect reimbursement should stop "as soon as is practical."

He said he has ordered the department to set up a streamlined process by Jan. 1, 2017, to help the troops get relief from the repayment obligation, because the current program has moved too slowly.

"This process has dragged on too long, for too many service members," Carter said. "Too many cases have languished without action. That's unfair to service members and to taxpayers."

He said the new process will put "as little burden as possible on any soldier who received an improper payment through no fault of his or her own. At the same time, it will respect our important obligation to the taxpayer."

The plan, Carter said, is to complete all cases by next July 1. He said about 2,000 members of the California Guard have been asked to repay the erroneous payments.

http://abc7.com/news/defense-secret...of-national-guard-enlistment-bonuses/1573916/

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
The devil is in the details. The hassle ain't stopping, it just gets 'streamlined'. The Pentagon is going to streamline it? Hah!

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
The way that reads to me they are still going after the money. It sounds like the repayment will be in low payments. What a crock.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Congress was informed of the issue, in 2014, but didn't do anything to address the problem, and they are the only ones who can actually forgive the "debts".

Once again the do nothings, do nothing for veterans but pay them lip service.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Once again the do nothings, do nothing for veterans but pay them lip service.
As a Veteran , a disabled Veteran,
I have never seen as much "LIP SERVICE ONLY" paid to Vets as in the past 8 years.

After being in the VA Healthcare system since 1968,
Last year I had to go sign up for Medicare part B , which I have previously declined , as it wasn't needed.....now it is.:mad:

But if you listen to the politicians....they are so full of crap , how much they are helping Vets,....BS..its all LIP SERVICE.

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts