Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working a table at a gunshow all weekend. Almost struck out on the buying. Guys bringing in really nice pistolas and rifles. However, they either wanted what they had paid for them or maybe they owed too much income tas and had to pay. Anyway, couldn't get into much with the Ruger name on it. Had to pass on an in the box Ruger MKII Target, a mini, and an LC9 too cause the guys wanted their money back. Could buy tham at the show for as much as they were asking.

So, I finally ran into a couple of traders I know that swap right. They had 2 "Bubba" milsurps that I did not want unless they were cheap. Also had this gun I got. They wanted 3 for the pair of milsurps, an Arisaka and a .303 Brit. Also 3 for this C.V.A. single shot. Told them to come by the table and give it up for 2 cause they would not get that offer from anyone else. They showed up later without the milsurps and gave up the "Stalker." Guy said he had bought it for his son in law and they guy turned out to be an axxhole. So he was getting rid of it.

Gun has a heavy 3/4" barrel, 24" long. Poly stock, black finish, break open, in 7-08 /rem. And I evne have loading dies for it, brass and bullets. Gun also had a BSA "Cateye" 3X12x40 mounted on it. It has a lighted reticle. hOpe it shoots as good as it looks. Range report after I load some ammo for it.

And another little score for the weekend was this Benchemade knife. Old guy came up wanting to sell a beater Remington .22 rifle. I would only give half of the 2 bills he wanted. However, I did hook the guy up with someone that would give the 2 bills. He was so happy, he discounted this knife from 35 bucks down to 20 bucks. It's al low mileage automatic. Only been run over by the old guy with his John Deere one time. The other knife he rand over did not do so well, it was a Gerber folder. Looked a little bent, so I passed it.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Put together a few rounds to try in this gun. Load is same as what I use in a Winchester Mod. 70 in the same cal. Hornady GMX bullets, 139 gr. Kinda expensive at 40 bucks for 50. That was all there was at the time when I got the dies last summer. Components were hard to get. Some IMR4831, 47 gr. a top end load in the Hornady books using CCI large rifle standard primers and Winchester cases. Not a smokin' load at @ 2700 F.P.S. but adequate for anything around here and the recoil is low.

Changed out the BSA "Cateye" scope for a Simmons 3X9X40. Needed the other scope for another project. Benched the gun using my wifes fowels for sandbags. Crosswind @ 5 MPH. Sunny and 65 degrees. Scope was bore sighted on my Bushnell grid type bore sighter to the right plae on the grid for the .28 to .30 cal rifles. Range @ 100 yds.

1st found was @ 4" low and right. Made guesstimated adjustments to scope and 2nd round went in the right directionbut not quite there. So, another adjustment to get it up to right at the top of my mark and still a little to the fight. Will fine tune later. It's good enough for M.O.D. (Minute of Deer) shooting. The load was easy shooting and there were no signs of excessive pressure.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
You did good again Pancho,

That 7-08 is one of my favorite calibers.
I passed up a TC Encore pistol ,like new, in that cal, and am still kicking myself.

2 bills for gun and scope in great shape , your in good shape.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Muy bueno Fido. Have ya shot the little Sav. .22 yet? Has the cold let up yet? Thanks for the response.:D

Guess no one else shoots rifles on this forum? Oh yeah, it's a game forum.:D

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Hey Pancho,

I love long guns , I have more long guns than handguns.

They are calling for 60s next week.

Ill post a report as soon as I get er out.

.Jim

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Pancho,

I love long guns , I have more long guns than handguns.

They are calling for 60s next week.

Ill post a report as soon as I get er out.

.Jim
Got up to 84 here today. I would have been out shooting the little rifle, but I have not loaded any more ammo. Don't wanna use the factory stuff I got.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also shoot the 7mm-08 in a Browning A-Bolt. My favorite caliber
Nice easy shooting round. Had an A-Bolt in 25-06, but decided it was too much like my .270s and not quite as versitle. Bullet weight range was a little light. I could do about as well with the .243 for a varmit gun without all the blast of the .25-06.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts