Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been to the range yet with my new 10/22 and BX-25 mags. There's many youtube vids on the BX-25...a couple show some fails.
Just my observations...
The ability to disassemble the BX-25 and clean is terrific ....Of the first 2 I bought, 1 had more gusto when depressing the follower and letting it jump back.
So I opened 'em up and sprayed with (hornaday) One Shot, dry lube as suggested on one vid......excellent the rounds jump into place!
Cycling the bolt with Fed and some Rem I did encounter a misfeed with the Rem as the nose of the round stayed down....I don't know what the solution is as many plinking rounds have a lot of play with the crimp.
Another observation: a few youtube vids complain about the BX-25 sloppy movement when installed in the 10/22,.....possibly my Timney trigger has tighter tolerances ( on the mag latching pins) .....no movement at all!

Sent from my iPad using Ruger Forum

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went to the range today and put 100 rounds through my two Ruger OEM BX-25's. One fail to chamber with CCI standard velocity, lead nose.

After clearing, inspection of the round indicated the nose of the bullet had some lead shaved off. The metal lips of the magazine also had lead shavings where the bullet rubs against the mag lip as it's stripped. I suspect the bullet either had some play or was not at the right angle when fed. Cleaning and dry-lube of the mag might help.

The Ruger mags fit very snug with no discernible movement. I have read several accounts of movement with after-market mags. Also feed problems using mags with plastic feed lips.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 4new BX-25s ran flawless with the bulk Fed....the REM on the other hand had 3 misfeeds of 50... Nose down....I'm staying away from Rem & sticking with Fed or CCI minimags.

·
Banned
410 Posts
I eventually got rid of my BX25's. The feed aggravation got to be touch. I bought 12 of the 10 rounders and four of the ALANGATOR's and never looked back. 120 rounds at a time and never an FTF or FTE since. With ANY ammo. Just what worked for me.....

Sent from my VS950 4G using Ruger Forum mobile app

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I eventually got rid of my BX25's. The feed aggravation got to be touch. I bought 12 of the 10 rounders and four of the ALANGATOR's and never looked back. 120 rounds at a time and never an FTF or FTE since. With ANY ammo. Just what worked for me.....

Sent from my VS950 4G using Ruger Forum mobile app
I hear ya dutchs.....seen videos of some with bx25 problems.....but one vid said clean & lube (dry) every 300rds, swears by it. The other 2 issues were sloppy fit and poor ammo....my fit with the Timney trigger is solid......time will tell...
You are right though the 10rd mags are +1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Took apart my BX-25's and found a build-up of the CCI Standard Velocity bullet coating on the inside surface of the mag feed lips. In my earlier post I said the build-up was lead but this was a sticky, waxy substance. Cleaned the mags and fired 75 rounds each of Federal and Remington without any problems or build-up. Seems to be more a function of the ammo than the mags. It's a good thing they are easy to open and clean.

·
Texan by Birth • Grace
111 Posts
I have 5 of the BX-25 Mags. Have had repeated and major feed problems with the Remington ammo in each one. It has not been specific to any on mag. FTF and it bends the bullet out of the case. Not good. Have had 2 of the same type of FTF with the 10 round mags. In comparison though to the number with the BX-25 that figure is negligible. The Remingtons have been retired from the 10/22.

Just got a hold of some dry lube and going to open each one up - clean and lube. Hope this solves the problem using any other ammo.

Luckily I only have about a 1000 rounds of the Remington ammo left. I will run it through the LCR and my Beretta NEOS pistols (they seem to eat everything O.K.). Do not seem to have the problem with the Winchester, Federal or any CCI stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts