Buying used Ruger Single Six .22L.R./.22 mag.

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by Litehiker, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

I found a 1980 Ruger Single Six with two cylinders in original box W/ red bag and owner's manual in my area so I'm getting it as a companion to my Ruger 96/22 mag. lever gun.
    This pistol shows just enough blueing wear from holstering and just enough wood grip open grain to make it look very "authentic" as a cowboy revolver.

Soon I'll have two .22 mag.Ruger's, a lever gun and a revolver, a perfect pair. Can't wait to pick it up. Gonna get a cloth lined walnut box for it.

Eric B.

C. D. Bates and Pancho_Villa like this.
  2. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

Nice find. I've got one from 87. Purchased it new and it still functions flawlessly. In fact, I just cleaned it today from yesterday's range time. You'll enjoy it.

3. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

Thanks for the encouraging report Fireman, I'm getting either a Bianchi or Ruger holster for it. Looking forward to shooting it at our Boulder City range soon.

AND I'm waiting - and waiting - for my new Ruger 57 pistol to arrive. That pistol will be a companion to my FNPS90 carbine.

Take care and happy trails, Eric B.

4. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

My old beater '76 model with the ''200 Yr. Liberty'' mark on the barrel. Bianchi leather holster. It's 3rd from the top.

100_0096 (3).JPG

5. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

Nice collection!

6. C. D. Bates

C. D. Bates Member

Fantastic find

They are good shooters, reliable and will last forever. Fun times ahead.

7. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

Got it today and Midway also delivered my Hunter holster for it. Fits well after I shaved 3/16" off the top to clear the rear sight. A great day!
    The .22 mag cylinder was never used. Amazing. That's what I'm going to use with it.
    I'll be taking it and my Ruger 96/22 mag. lever gun to the indoor range soon. Just too much fun.

Pancho, you need another revolver - or two. ;)

BTW, my digital trigger pul scale measures it at 1 lb. 12.3 oz average. Kinda "lite".

Eric B.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    Pancho_Villa likes this.
  8. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

I got a Hunter brand holster from Midway for it. It's the Model 60 for that 6 1/2" barrel. After some judicious grinding of the top with my Dremel tool the rear sight now clears nicely and the fit is great. This model has a diagonal snap strap that comes around over the trigger guard. The other horizontal snap strap secures the self belt loop.
    Very cool but not fancy.

Eric B.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I've owned one of those, w/6.5" barrel, for over 40 years.
    Don't count that LR cylinder out just yet. Mine is crazy accurate with Fed 36 gr HP LR (550 round bulk pack) ammo at 50 yd.
    It's just as accurate with every type of Magnum ammo I've tried but it is a little picky about what LR ammo it likes.
    (Two clicks down for LR at 50 yd). ;)

phideaux likes this.
  10. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

Thanks for the info on the LR cylinder and the the ammo it likes. I'll try some Federal 36 gr. LR ammo.

With the COVID 19 scare there is now panic gun and ammo buying. Glad I got this Single Six before all that started. Also got a Tarus Trekker .44 mag revolver from a friend and some ammo before the SHTF. Got all the ammo I need and won't even try to get more until mid-summer.

Eric B.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Every gun is different. Yours might like some other ammo.
    My 10/22 doesn't like Fed 36 gr HP nearly as well as it likes CCI 36 gr HP Mini Mags but the Single Six doesn't like Mini Mags at all.

phideaux likes this.
  12. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Good looking bunch of pistolas Pancho..

Jim

13. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

Very nice "posse" of revolvers there, Pancho. I had a Ruger .44 Magnum with the 10-inch barrel that I wanted to use on a "hog" hunt in eastern Tennessee. So I could get it out of my Bianchi holster a bit quicker, I lopped off 4-inches of the barrel and reset the front sight. At six inches the barrel was much easier to clear the holster. One handload of Speer 240 grain flat nose bullets, and I had some of the toughest dang meat I ever tired to chew on.

14. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

Hogs should be shot in the neck, or the head (behind the ear) if using small caliber. They'll drop easily than when shot in the rib cage.
    Piglets taste better 40 lbs. or less. The older hogs are tough and taste like stale muddy hog water. They are okay if trophy hunting.

15. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

Sweet looking collection Pancho_Villa.