Ruger Talk Forums banner

Buying sr9c

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  cunger13 
#1 ·
New to the whole gun scene! Just wanted some opinions on whether to buy Ruger Sr9c used or new? And also whether to buy online or go to a local store?

#2 ·
The SR9c is an awesome gun.

Such a straight shooter. The trigger is a much better improvement over the SR9 (which wasn't all that bad, but had it's faults) .

Crisp break, short reset.

Local and online both have it's advantages and disadvantages. If you go online, you will definitely pay the transfer fee.

Local allows for much better negotiation. But, you still might find a great deal online even with transfer.

Used vs New, well it depends on the condition and the price. Some of my best deals have been thru pawn shops.

Extremely motivated sellers! Especially, if you pay cash. You can pick up some AWESOME deals. That needs to be weighed with the wear of the gun, the care the previous owner took, etc.

Really too many variables to answer your which is better questions.

Doc

#5 ·
I bought a gun on the internet and when it arrived at my LGS for the transfer my LGS had the same gun in the showcase. After all said and done I could have had the gun a week earlier for fifty cents more than the internet deal total cost was.
Lately I check prices on the internet and then call my LGS for his price. I end up buying the gun from LGS for basically the same as internet price without the waiting.
I have the SR40c and it is one of my favorite guns. I paid $405+tax several years aho and many places today still have the gun for that price. A friend has the 9c and I have shot it also. Personally I don't feel much difference between the 9 and the 40. The 9 is cheaper to shoot due to ammo costs. I will say during the ammo shortage I often found 40 caliber ammo on the shelves when 9 wasn't anywhere to be found.

#6 ·
A used gun *in good condition* is usually a solid bet. The only thing is, does the dealer have the price set low enough that it's a good enough deal. I've never bought a used rifle or handgun, but I've bought several shotguns used and only got burned once. That was my own dumb fault lol.

#7 ·
Your local dealer may be aware of this...

Under federal law –
Handguns Long Guns (Rifles and Shotguns) Licensed firearms dealers Dealers may not sell or deliver a handgun or ammunition for a handgun to any person the dealer has reasonable cause to believe is under age 21.8

Dealers may not sell or deliver a long gun, or ammunition for a long gun, to any person the dealer has reasonable cause to believe is under age 18.

9 Unlicensed persons Unlicensed persons may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun ammunition to any person the transferor has reasonable cause to believe is under age 18, with certain exceptions*.10

Unlicensed persons may sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer a long gun or long gun ammunition to a person of any age.

Jim

#8 ·
Your local dealer may be aware of this...

Unlicensed persons may sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer a long gun or long gun ammunition to a person of any age.

Jim

Really? So, I could transfer my deer rifle to the16 year old down the block?

#12 ·
I can understand the reluctance for private sellers to sell handguns to under 21. I am not sure I would either, would have to think about it, meet the person, see how motivated I am, etc

However, it is completely legal for a private sale of a handgun to under 21. As long as, of course, all the other requirements are satisfied.. ie. no felons, over 18, etc.

Doc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.