Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you find you have to pull the bullet from a loaded cartridge, should you replace the primer?

I figure banging away at the puller must be dislodging some of the primer explosive. Doesn't it?

Doc

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Doc, Ive pulled a bazillion bullets and never had a problem with leaving the primer in.

Maybe someone else has a different experience.

Jim

·
Registered
3,442 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, ok.

With that many pulls, surely by now you would have had problems with failures to fire or squibs if primer damage was a concern.

Thanks, Jim

Doc

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I hate to pull bullets. It takes forever. Although,recently, I believe I discovered the trick. Smack the hammer HARD.

Here's the solution:
Do the mess up in the first place

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Guess I'm the only one that uses a collet type bullet puller.
All of my shooting buddys use the hammer deal like y'all.
I've looked at them. Most of my bullets don't have enough cylindrical portion to grab onto.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I use the hammer style bullet puller however the collets don't seem to stand up quite as long so I inserted a shell holder into the hammer and hit it hard once, the bullet comes out. If the primer is not perfectly seated, then use the collet as that is what they are designed for. That is for taking bullets out of a pistol cartridge. Pulling the bullet in a rifle is a different story. I have the bullet puller for rifle however I have never used it. The powder in the primer is held in with the anvils in the primer. Only striking the primer will release the powder from the primer and that will set the round off. Use safety googles and a glove (heavy duty) when removing the bullet from the casing. Safety is primary!

Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I don't pull bullets, I just trash them. For $.25 I am not going through it. I don't see the need happening enough either to worry about it. To each his own.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Guess I'm the only one that uses a collet type bullet puller.
All of my shooting buddys use the hammer deal like y'all.
I use a collet puller. Only for rifle bullets. I tried a hammer that a buddy had years ago. Nope. I don't load alot of pistol ammo anyway, just for revolvers now. I would rather buy auto pistol ammo.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't pull bullets, I just trash them. For $.25 I am not going through it. I don't see the need happening enough either to worry about it. To each his own.
It's the brass that can be used 10 (or however many) times that I am after mostly. Not the 12cent bullet, 3cent powder, and 4cent primer

Doc

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have both a hammer type and a collet type. I had a bunch of .38 specials that were given to me by my brother, who bought them from a friend at work. They came along with some dies. I'd had one squib before in some Wolf 9mm, so I decided to pull them down and re-use. I kept all but the powder because I didn't know what brand or type it was. I used the collet type since there were a lot of them, when I have only a few I use the hammer. That's pistol, if I have rifle rounds to pull down I use the collet type.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts