Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Father just picked up a Ruger Blackhawk Buckeye Special (32 Mag/32-20) NIB with all paperwork etc...

What is this thing worth? Should he shoot it or leave it unfired?

·
Registered
30 Posts
TINCAN. I have one I picked up unfired with the box,papers and 32 mag cylinder. I paid 450.00 for it and it became a safe queen. Then I picked up the Marlin 32-20 ducks unlimited lever action and started shooting both. The ruger is a wonderful gun out to 50 yards with my cast 100 grain semi wadcutter and a dose of 2400. I regret not shooting it sooner but if you don't reload it does get expensive, if you can find the factory ammo. I looked at one last weekend that was well used for 500.00. New in the box should run 550-650 in the real world. Not many people appreciate the caliber.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got some pictures of the gun, doing some research now, if anyone has any inside info, please share

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Gunbroker has one, and only one, for sale at $995. Like new with box and papers.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Good looking gun. Do you or your dad reload? Could get pretty pricey. Why did your dad buy the gun? to shoot, or to keep his safe occupied?
That flower engraved on the top is a nice touch!

·
Registered
108 Posts
The flower is the Buckeye.

Back in the day when I was shooting Ruger Single and double Actions in .44/44 Magnum, and
autos in 10mm,, I looked for a Buckeye 44-40/10mm for years
but couldn't find one, or was late to the auction for them.

Those with both the .32-20 and the 10mm in a set are really cool Ruger collectors.

I for one, would probably not shoot a pristine Buckeye these days.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good looking gun. Do you or your dad reload? Could get pretty pricey. Why did your dad buy the gun? to shoot, or to keep his safe occupied?
That flower engraved on the top is a nice touch!

To answer your questions:
1: yes we reload, I already reload the .32 Magnum (I have a .32 Single Six Vaquerito)
2: He bought it as an investment, we both have a pretty decent collection of shooters, so no need to shoot a collectors item like this
3: the "flower" is the bloom of the Ohio Buckeye (horse chesnut) tree

I am planning a full write up soon.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The flower is the Buckeye.

Back in the day when I was shooting Ruger Single and double Actions in .44/44 Magnum, and
autos in 10mm,, I looked for a Buckeye 44-40/10mm for years
but couldn't find one, or was late to the auction for them.

Those with both the .32-20 and the 10mm in a set are really cool Ruger collectors.

I for one, would probably not shoot a pristine Buckeye these days.

you could build one. Have a gunsmith like Gary Reeder, Alan Harton, Hamilton Bowen or ? start with a .357 new model, they can add the .40 cal barrel and re chamber your cylinder for 10mm.

this way you could shoot it all you want and not worry about ruining the value of a collectible gun.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
To answer your questions:
1: yes we reload, I already reload the .32 Magnum (I have a .32 Single Six Vaquerito)
2: He bought it as an investment, we both have a pretty decent collection of shooters, so no need to shoot a collectors item like this
3: the "flower" is the bloom of the Ohio Buckeye (horse chesnut) tree

I am planning a full write up soon.

Well, if he bought it as an investment, then I'd say no, don't shoot it. Sounds like between the two of you, you have quite a number of firearms. Keep it looking nice and pretty in that safe!

Thanks for sharing, beautiful gun!

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Years ago when I was in better financial shape I used to buy safe queens just to add to my collection. When I got divorced I had to sell my guns (had more than I could ever shoot) but I did enjoy collecting. Now the guns I have are all shooters except for 2 that are antiques (over 100 yrs. old) and I don't trust them. I can say I did not loose any money on the guns I sold however, due to my situation at the time, I hurriedly sold them and didn't make as much as I should of. With the upcoming election, you can bet that the price of guns are going to go up. Now that depends on how the market trends follow. Many of the imports are getting cheaper and many more are coming to the U.S. The average sheople will buy the lower end weapon whereas the collector will buy your safe queen. I wouldn't be in a hurry to sell your safe queen, but watch how the market flows and if history is correct, you should redeem a nice profit. If Hildebeast gets in you can bet that ALL types of weapons will escalate. Just MHO!

Tommy

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Good write up. I did see one error.

Here's the paragraph
"You may also know that Ruger also made a Single Six chambered in .32 H&R Magnum (as well as a VAQUERITO). They did not chamber the Single Six in .32-20 however"

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good write up. I did see one error.

Here's the paragraph
"You may also know that Ruger also made a Single Six chambered in .32 H&R Magnum (as well as a VAQUERITO). They did not chamber the Single Six in .32-20 however"

thanks, it seems no matter how many times I proof read my posts, there is always something I miss....I guess that's why editors exist.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
^^I'm familiar with that!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts