Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
My only squirrel rifle I had was a hand me down from my grandfather. It was a Winchester Model 62 of which had thousand of rounds shot through it. Living with Grandpa, on a farm was a blessing as we had 500 acres (half of which was rented) a pond out in back and an enough wood pile of old trees he had cut down and never burned. We also had about 5 acres of shag bark hickory trees. I got the rifle when I was 7 and Gram would tell me to find us some squirrels or rabbits for supper. I treasured that rifle and passed it on to my little brother when he turned 16. His dad wouldn't let him have a rifle til he was old enough. That little turd thought it needed cleaning so he took and used steel wool to "clean" up the appearance. When I saw what he did, I told him to look me in the eye cuz I was going to shoot him there (right in the middle) with it. He still has the rifle in his safe and every once in a while when we trade guns, I tell him if he ever uses steel wool again, I will keep my promise and shoot him with it. He asks me if I ever forget anything and I tell him not when it comes to something that stupid. Appearances aside, he and I still take it out on rare occasions and still shoot it in reminiscence of days long ago. It still shoots good! I still love that old rifle.

Tommy

The only thing infinate are the universe and the stupidity of man. Quote by Albert Einstein

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neat. My first squirrel gun was a 'well used' Winchester Model 62, handed down from an older brother. Running shorts it made hardly any noise at all. I could pick a squirrel out of a beech tree without alarming other squirrels - even in the same tree, usually.

Gray squirrel stew, with potatoes, carrots and onions (leeks if Maw had them), cooked slow. Biscuits with farm-churned butter. Apple pie. No fancy Frenchman ever had better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts