Browning SA-22

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by VThillman, Jun 26, 2016.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

My only squirrel rifle I had was a hand me down from my grandfather. It was a Winchester Model 62 of which had thousand of rounds shot through it. Living with Grandpa, on a farm was a blessing as we had 500 acres (half of which was rented) a pond out in back and an enough wood pile of old trees he had cut down and never burned. We also had about 5 acres of shag bark hickory trees. I got the rifle when I was 7 and Gram would tell me to find us some squirrels or rabbits for supper. I treasured that rifle and passed it on to my little brother when he turned 16. His dad wouldn't let him have a rifle til he was old enough. That little turd thought it needed cleaning so he took and used steel wool to "clean" up the appearance. When I saw what he did, I told him to look me in the eye cuz I was going to shoot him there (right in the middle) with it. He still has the rifle in his safe and every once in a while when we trade guns, I tell him if he ever uses steel wool again, I will keep my promise and shoot him with it. He asks me if I ever forget anything and I tell him not when it comes to something that stupid. Appearances aside, he and I still take it out on rare occasions and still shoot it in reminiscence of days long ago. It still shoots good! I still love that old rifle.

Tommy

The only thing infinate are the universe and the stupidity of man. Quote by Albert Einstein

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Neat. My first squirrel gun was a 'well used' Winchester Model 62, handed down from an older brother. Running shorts it made hardly any noise at all. I could pick a squirrel out of a beech tree without alarming other squirrels - even in the same tree, usually.

Gray squirrel stew, with potatoes, carrots and onions (leeks if Maw had them), cooked slow. Biscuits with farm-churned butter. Apple pie. No fancy Frenchman ever had better.