Broken Bolt Stop Pin

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by harrise, May 5, 2013.

1. harrise

harrise New Member

This little 10/22 has been interesting. Love the thing, it's just been a bit more than an out of the box shooter. At the range last Thursday my Bushnell kept unscrewing on the eye side every magazine. Every single time and it was shooting high left from the zero I enjoyed for a few weeks. At first I thought maybe a buddy had done something to it while I was messing with the mini. Then I got home to commence a quick clean. As usual the bolt stop pin fell out, but it made a different sound this time. Two sounds. Clink, clink...

[​IMG]

Ruger has one on the way post haste, but I'm going shooting at the friend's ranch today! So I prepped on the interwebs trying to find a MacGyver way around it. Interestingly, I found a lot of folks running without one!?! In the end I hustled down to the local smith and chatted him up. Hacksaw a bolt, razor off a shank from a nylon bolt or glue stick were his recommendations. After making four stop pins out of nylon stock the glue stick thing wouldn't let go.

I found some 1/4" glue sticks at a hobby store and I've got a lot of glue sticks now. And a stop pin made from it. Racking the bolt and releasing it aren't shooting it, but that glue stick has made the entire receiver area MUCH quieter. I shall see if it works today.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have heard of this before, using glue sticks,
    but Ive never heard a report on how it works in real life shooting.

I would be interested in your report after shooting.
    Any problems or differences.

Jim

3. harrise

harrise New Member

Well, I'm back. It was a bit windy out there yesterday so most of my day was spent working through a 525 brick. Got my first prairie dog too!

The glue stick was up first and it was quiet. It worked for 10 rounds no problem so in went the BX-25s for 50 more rounds. By the end of the first mag there was noticeable, slop, in the movement of the bolt. Kinda felt like the next quickly fired round was being slapped with a wet towel, if that makes sense. On round 58 a casing didn't fully eject so the glue stick was removed. It has visible little chunks and nicks and the ends were tapering off a bit. This made for a wiggle within the receiver. My verdict is it works for a few rounds, maybe more not fired so quickly. Definitely a band-aid and not a fix.
    [​IMG]

The nylon bolt shank, however... Works BRILLIANTLY! Guess I never noticed the noise of a 10/22 before because every one I've been around was bone stock. The density of it is enough to make for a solid feel when shooting multiple shots and it does feel slightly softer to me. After adjusting myself (and scope) to the new kick my 10/22 is back in business.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the report.

Looks like the wy to go is the nylon bolt.

The glue stick is definitely a temp fix.

Thanks

Jim

5. tbspeed1

tbspeed1 New Member

The glue stick heats up and deforms. I sell a delrin bolt buffer on ebay- got over 10000 rounds through the one in my comp rifle.

6. Popeye

Popeye New Member

I've also been using the shoulder portion off a nylon bolt on mine almost from day one. It must have at least 2000 rounds on the rifle using it. It's surprising just how well they do hold up, and it's quite a bit quieter. I can't see me ever sticking the original one back in.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  7. Reagan

Reagan New Member

After seeing a youtube vid on the benefits of a non-metal bolt stop, especially the wear on the receiver pin holes elongating because of the shock with the steel bolt stop, I searched amazon, midway, etc for reviews on replacement pins...
    I live by the reviews. Yes, cut off nylon bolts might do the job.....other products softened or melted , after a few hundred rds......
    So nylon, polymer, whatever is best???
    I bought 2 of these Buffer Tech pins (pricey) from amazon. The reviews were better than all the other plastic pins and I believe they are polymer....but details like that are always hard to come buy...( I find that buying gun upgrades is like homeowners doing plumbing....a million parts without interchangeable specs...or no specs, detailed measurements, etc) Geeeech! What is the big secret?
    Well anyway these are what I ordered....not tested as yet.

Attached Files:

8. tbspeed1

tbspeed1 New Member

Reagan, send me your address and I will send you one for free- if you like just tell your friends

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

9. Reagan

Reagan New Member

Thanks much, I appreciate the offer, ....I have these others I ordered and like to try....but I'll make a note and look ya up on ebay in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Ruger Forum