Bringing a mini 188 series back from the dead

Discussion in 'Ruger Mini 14' started by tat2highway, Oct 10, 2015.

1. tat2highway

tat2highway New Member

Simply put... I got a smoking deal on a weapon that was customized totally wrong!!! Lol. The PO had sprayed it with truck bed liner and Jacked up the job pretty bad.
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1444509577.447990.jpg
    This picture was taken after sanding te gunk off for a while. I am hand sanding this stock, so it's taken a lil longer than normal. I've actually only gotten this much done...
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1444509669.546009.jpg ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1444509719.664467.jpg
    I plan on refinishing it wit a cherry stain.

I took the weapon apart and CLP'd the crap outta all things metal and shiny. Only mechanism I didn't take apart was te bolt. Wanted to clean out the firing pin, but couldn't figure out how to access it. Otherwise every bit of caked on carbon was removed out/off the weapon.

I'm lookin at different stocks. Really like the look of the folding stock. Curious if I can figure out how to fab one up and retain te ability to use my current stock, but chopped down and adding a pistol grip as well...

I like the tactical look on these weapons and they remind me of my extremely m4 I ha during my deployment to Baghdad from 04-05. So.. That is the direction I would like to go with this rifle.

I plan on updating this as things are done and basically making a diary out of it for later reference. All comments and opinions are welcome. And most of all THANKS FOR LOOKING!!!

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Where did I just see this....!? :rolleyes:

3. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

What was done was criminal!!! So glad your giving it new life! Thanks for doing this thread!!!!

4. shadowman

shadowman New Member

some people just shouldn`t own guns. I am glad you got it are bringing it back to life.

5. tat2highway

tat2highway New Member

I totally agree. I just like rebuilding things and turning junk into a treasure. I do the same with bike builds.... My other hobby

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Same with bikes, some people just shouldn't own them.
    I modified the ram air on a ZX11 years ago for a friend.
    After the guy sold it to a ah, well person I saw it and was DISGUSTED by the way it had been treated.
    We had that bike as perfect as is humanly possible.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  7. tat2highway

tat2highway New Member

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a bike as well... Lol. ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1444614978.159180.jpg
    I've rebuilt several actually. My 99 r1 I rebuilt was immaculate. A year and a half later, it's back at my house and I'm rebuilding it for the second time!!!! Lol ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1444615087.153529.jpg
    This is actually where I spent my whole day!!! ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1444615276.200376.jpg
    With my end result going from this... ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1444615354.727059.jpg
    To this... ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1444615387.005833.jpg
    To this... ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1444615440.429859.jpg ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1444615457.978733.jpg
    I then hid all my wiring behind my frame, but was too dark to take decent pics by then.
    Next up is risers, dirt bike bars, and bar end mirrors.

8. tat2highway

tat2highway New Member

But... This is a gun thread and not a bike thread... Lol. I'm on another forum for that business...lol. However, magnum, if u got a pic of that zx11, I'd love to see it

9. tat2highway

tat2highway New Member

Magnum.. Saw u were from Texas south east coast... Like Galveston?

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

No, just south of Houston.
    The only pic I have of the ZX11 only shows the extra ram air duct we put in it.
    You really can't tell anything from it, not worth posting as best I can remember. I'll dig it up to see what it looks like.

11. tat2highway

tat2highway New Member

Kool. I go down to msrh in angleton every now and agin to do track days. I'm over in lake Charles.

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yeah, they have club races there sometimes. I've gone to watch but it's not really a spectator track.

MSRH hosted a car track day some friends went to with Corvettes. One of them gave me a slow tour in the vette. Looks like a fun track.

13. tat2highway

tat2highway New Member

It's nice. I'm usually runnin about 2:15 a lap consistently. I have yet to drag knee, but I'm pretty damn close. 2.38 miles and 17 turns. I'm doing another track day next month.

14. tat2highway

tat2highway New Member

I guess since this is my thread, I'll post what I want... Lol. Pretty proud of the finished headlight job I just did on my r6 that cost less than 30 bucks...
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1444779774.396527.jpg
    All I need now are risers and dirt bike bars!!!

15. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yeah I guess so but it sure would fit well in the Motorcycle pic thread. :D
    That way I know where to find cool pics of your motorcycle project without trying to make my old brain remember where to look. ;)

:machinegun: And I can keep up with your Mini-14 project here. My memory ain't what it used to be so..............

16. tat2highway

tat2highway New Member

Kool deal bud. Will do.

17. Gabby

Gabby New Member

Tattoo HWY
    pick up a couple scrapers they will save you tons of sanding and peel that gunk right off, I think you can get them from auto body supply or wood working supply stores and even online, they make them that are straight and curved. They are also flexible.
    almost forgot keeping the stock near "stock" will be nice. Pick up a plastic stock to get silly with and have the real wood for when you want to fondle it.
    Gabby

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Mailman556 likes this.