Breaking 'em in...

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by Brian Richman, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Brian Richman

Brian Richman New Member

My previous .22 pistol was a Walther P22QD. It sucked big time. Took 1,000 rounds and swapping out the stock barrel for the 5" one for it to be broken in enough to be usable. Every single mag of 10 rounds had at least one stovepipe or mis-feed. It got better at about 500 rounds and was more or less Ok after that first thousand.

So my new Ruger 22/45 Lite is giving me at least one mis-feed every mag and one stove pipe every two or three mags. Only about 150 rounds on it so far. I decided to do several things:

1. Wait until I have at least 600 or so rounds through it before forming any kind of view.
    2. I ordered the Acurizer kit from Volquartzen. Has anyone else here fitted it and what were the results you got? Did this need a break-in period too?
    3. I also ordered a new trigger from TandemKross (TK) and sorry about the spellings there. I like the look of it with it being more or less straight and cut out in the center too.

The actual installation of everything looks easy enough.

More money than sense? This has blown my entire shooting budget for the fall... Going to be running down my ammo reserve for a few months to pay for all this!

So TK also have a mag tuning video with a namesake of mine (Brian). My LGS gunsmith agrees with it about gently filing away some of the straight corners and smoothing off rough edges on magazines when you get mis-feeds/stovepipes. Lots of warnings about not overdoing it - and my local gunsmith will do it for both my factory mags for only $120. Hmmm.

rugertoter likes this.
  2. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

A number of years back, I had the Walther P-22, and yes, the one I had sucked too.

Brian Richman likes this.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Neighbor has a Walther 22 compact and it is a jammamatic. Some 22 pistols are finicky to not liking maybe one type ammo but his was finicky in that it only like Thunderbolts.
    I called Walther for him and was told the gun is made to shoot mainly high velocity 22lr ammo. I have news for him, the Walther didn't like high velocity 22lr either.
    I think I will pass on anything Walther.
    My Ruger MKII and MKIV shoot everything I put in them except Calibre Supers.

4. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Congrats on the .22/45. It should be a great shooter if you find ammo that it likes. I don't have a 22/45, but I do have 3 Mk IIs. Two are stainless target models and one is a 4" standard blue one. The stainless guns each have their favorite brands of ammo. One is a 7" tapered bull and the other a 5.5" bull barrel. They will feed the bulk pack stuff by remmy & Fed, but each one likes one brand and not the other. The standard model will feed justr about any crap ammo I put in it and the high vel stuff too. Wife and I keep that one by the bed. Wife has killed one javelina with it that was fighting wit the dogs in the yard.

I have tried other auto pistols in .22 cal also. Had a High standard Sport King years ago. It was pretty reliable and a couple of Colt Woodsmans. Wish I still had them. They were all picky about ammo.

More recently, I had a Sig Mosquito. It worked well and fed bulk pack struff. However the trigger was not good. at all. A good plinker, but no paper puncher.

Moare recently, I had a S&W 22a. It was a nice gun overall. Reliable and accurate enough with certain brands of ammo. Trigger was o.k. Sights were huge and adjusable. Actually the whole gun was kinda big for me anyway.Didn't keep it.

I am satisfied with the performance of my Ruger Mk IIs. I ahve also had some Mk Is/ Kist dpm't have any now. Maybe there will be a 22/45 coming in the future. Still thinking about an SR22 also.

Hope ya get the 22/45 runnign well. All those custom parts should help with accuracy.

5. armbruse

armbruse Member

I'll have to keep swapping out trigger and all in mind. I have a charger take down, it pushes anything and everything through.

I picked up a Mark 4 20/45 this last Christmas, had it to the range twice (maybe 100 rounds per trip, as had other guns with me), had 1 one stove pipe each trip, was leaning towards rounds being used

6. Brian Richman

Brian Richman New Member

Thanks all for the comments. The VQ and TK parts are in the gun. Crazy enough the hex head on the screw for the safety you need to undo to remove for internal access was a different size mid way between two other sizes which took me well over an hour to sort out. The smaller size was way too small and the larger size wouldn't fit at all. Took a while of filing down a sacrificial one to get it to fit and then it was all just fine. There were also a few cussing moments as I needed three much smaller fingers to get everything where it should be, but in the end it all got fitted.

The results? With dry firing only, the overall feel is a lot more like a "new" gun with no "slop" to anything; much tighter overall.

The hammer fall feels significantly stronger than the stock hammer. Not sure what effect this is going to have.

The trigger pull is much different. No "wall" to pull through with no real clue to when its going to break. I'm sure I'll detect one when I am at the range, but if it is there it's really small. This of course is how it should be. This way there is no jerking as you try to pull through the resistance. It now feels about half the previous pull is needed too, so its really easy. All the crunchy feel with the stock parts is gone. It's like there were a lot of burrs on the stock parts that are not there now.

I have to work out the adjustment screws and seal them into place yet but the trigger travel is already down by well over 50% just by rough adjustments. The checked finish to the trigger face will take a little getting used to but I'd rather have to do that than have a slippery surface for it.

Looking forward to range time...

7. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

One of the main issues with Ruger Mark pistol magazines are the feed lips. If you are noticing fine brass particles in your pistols receiver, that's from how the cartridges are being fed along the feed lips buy the bolt.
    There are several things mentioned in the you-tube videos that are completely incorrect. One involves filing the front edges of the rear feed lips. That practice was needed for the old High Standard .22 pistol magazines, which are almost the same as how the very early Ruger Mark pistol magazines were formed. Magazines, beginning with the Ruger Mark II type are way more improved and completely different in shape than those earlier magazines. In fact, the Mark II style magazines work much, much better in the early Ruger Mark pistols than the originals do. For the A 54 grip frame, you will need to move the follower button over and into the follower track in the right side of the magazine.

When I first viewed the magazine tuning video put out by TandemKross, I almost spit coffee all over my key board. Many of the Ruger Mark II, III and now Mark IV magazines have sharp, burred, edges that are folded over and form the feeding path for cartridges. These sharp burrs will shave brass off the cartridge case during feeding into the chamber. That will cause the case to drag in the feed lips, unless those burrs are removed and the edges polished.
    If you carefully take note of the you-tube video, the guy wrongfully states that "we don't want to remove any metal from the feed lips".
    Well folks, the raggedy burrs are METAL that are caused on these edges by the stamping process when the magazines were formed. We need to remove those burrs, and that means metal MUST be removed and then the feed lips polished to as close to a mirror finish as can be done. We want those .22 cartridges to 'glide on' forward without being impeded by and drag on the feed lips.
    Here's a way to check your magazine feed lips for burrs. Steal a few cotton swabs from your wife's make-up area. Drag those cotton swabs along the edges of the feed lips and then look to see if any cotton fibers are caught by burrs. If you see fibers left behind, you need to wrap some #320 emery paper around a popsicle type stick and polish the magazine feed lip edges until you can slide that Q-tip over the edges without losing any cotton fibers.