Brass question

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by silveradoman59, Apr 9, 2016.

1. silveradoman59

silveradoman59 Member

Went to a local flea market today and found a small bag of assorted brass for a dollar.:D When we got home I went through it and among others I found a 30-30 Winchester case that had been cut down to 1.42". The diameter is too small for 44 mag, and too big for 38 spl or 357 mag. Any ideas what it may have been adopted for?

2. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

So has it been necked down or up? What is the neck diameter? Sorry I'm a tad confused

3. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Probably cut to be a straight walled case- but you've got me as to what someone would want it for.

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I suppose maybe a 40 cal wildcat, or a 41 mag?

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Absolutely no idea other than a wildcat.

6. silveradoman59

silveradoman59 Member

Wildcat is what I was thinking. The case mouth diameter is .377 and like I said the case length is 1.42. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone on diameter. The only other thing I can think of would be a major case failure. And if that's it I'd hate to see the gun or what happened to the shooter.

7. silveradoman59

silveradoman59 Member

Some people on another forum think it may have been in the middle of the process of being necked down for a wildcat. Sounds reasonable to me.:)

8. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

That's what I was wondering. Think ya got it figured out!

9. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture New Member

My Dad used to cut off cases he found in calibers he didn't load for, and solder nails on them as handles, and use them as powder dippers.

10. silveradoman59

silveradoman59 Member

I've heard of that being done too. Someone was telling me years ago his Dad or Granddad did that and he made them to pour the precise weights he needed. Wish I was that good. :D

11. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture New Member

You just trim them down with a file. They are about as accurate as a cylinder style powder charger. Dad used to set them up for a light load, and then trickle in to get his maximum.

IIRC, the original Lee kits had little scoops to measure the powder.

12. sawman

sawman New Member

I have .32 S&W, .32 S&W LONG, .2 HR MAG and .32-20 BRASS .32 BULLETS, LEAD OR SEMI JACKETED.
    .41 Winchester factory loads jacketed in boxes (spendy), .41 LONG BRASS, and .41 L DIES - RCBS .38-40 BRASS and DIES - RCBS .38 SPL BRASS up to 2000
    28 GA. SHOT SHELLS Trade or sell, Am new here so.... will try to check back often.

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

You are talking about something that I haven't heard in years. Back in the late 50's and early 60's reloaders used to do that especially for wildcat rounds. The plastic spoons were not as available then as they are now.

Tommy

14. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I assume that atmospheric conditions have some effect(s) on powder measurement, whether by volume or by weight. Wondering which characteristic is more influenced.

15. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Both​

Principals of physics.....

Jim