brass cleaning

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by buster40c, Apr 17, 2016.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

What are your methods for cleaning your brass? I read that walnut media can be bought much cheaper at pet stores than at gun shops. The pet stores sell it for bird cages and other caged critters.
    I read that some are using stainless pins of some kind and that the medium last a long time unlike some corn cob or walnut media. Some are using white rice for the media. Some are using Nu Finish wax and fabric softener added into the media to absorb the dust and dirt from the media and also to keep down the static electricity.
    Anyway I thought it would be interesting to see what you are doing and using to clean your brass.

2. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

I use corn and walnut media, Dillon cleaner/polish and a Dillon vibrating cleaner.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I've only used walnut media, with used drier tissues cut in strips to collect dust (which they do). Frankford Arsenal Brass Polish in the media does shine up the brass some, but the difference ain't dramatic.

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I am a simple minded person.

I use a Lyman Turbo tumbler with walnut and corn cob.

Now I do add a teaspoon of Turtle Wax Chrome polish.

I'm happy.

Jim

5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I use a vibrating tumbler with walnut and corn cob media with Frankford Arsenal brass polish,been using it for about 20 years now.

6. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I use Pecan hulls in a Dillon tumbler, some times add polish, when I do it sometimes gets the media soggy.

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I bought a 50 lbs. bag of walnut cat litter at a cowboy range store for $26.00 to use. I have yet to break into it and see how it works however my brother's buddy who lives across the street swears by it. Claims it cleans as good as regular walnut shells do. If this works good, I will let all know because I noticed that Sportman's, Bass Pro and Dillon's have raised their prices on cleaning media.

Tommy

8. daveag

daveag New Member

Lyman media works great get the Green

9. reloader550

reloader550 New Member

Scotch brite pads work great!! If u have lots of time!! Lol

10. buster40c

I went to Petsmart and bought 25 lb. of lizard bedding which is crushed walnut shell. $30. I cleaned about 200 or so 38 spl for about 2 hours and checked them with a cuetip and no powder residue. They seem good to load to me.

11. silveradoman59

silveradoman59 Member

I use the Lyman Turbo 1200 vibrating tumbler with crushed walnut reptile bedding. I add in either Lemi-shine or Borax laundry additive. Another method I use is a Shed Spread margarine tub. Put the brass in the tub and add water as hot as you can get from the tap, then add about a half a cap of real lemon juice and a couple squirts of dish soap. (I use Dawn) Stir the brass and mixture a few times and let it set a while, stirring a few more times till the water gets cold. Dump the brass into a colander and rinse with cold water. Spread the brass on an old towel or t-shirt and let it air dry. It takes about an hour and the brass comes out pretty shiny. I tumble the brass that has heavy tarnish.

12. buster40c

I am not really concerned with getting the brass to shine like new. All I care about is getting the shells clean with no remaining residue. Maybe that's wrong way to approach it but from what read the shine is not necessary. After the tumbling just in walnut shell the brass looks quite shiny.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  13. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I personally find that if the outside of the case is dirty, the cases tend to stick in my dies. Especially autoloading cartridges. I never got around to using a tumbler, I still do it the old fashioned way. Tub of hot water with dish soap. Let it soak a few days. Comes out quite clean, actually. Just gotta make sure that the cases are absolutely bone dry before reloading them.

14. buster40c

I hear you about not wanting dirty or powder residue shells going into the dies.
    I am a poor photographer but the pic shows my reload after 2.5 hours tumbler cleaned on left and UMC new rounds on right. It's hard to tell in the pic but IMO my reload casing is more shiny than the new UMC casing.
    I swabbed, after just blowing the dust off, several of my cases with a cue tip right out of the tumbler and I got no residue. I did decap all the shells before they went into the tumbler. It' a little more work but I have time and it keeps my cleaning media cleaner.

Attached Files:

15. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Looking good! I normally decap/resize before cleaning, except with 9mm. They're so gritty going into that die that I have to clean then before depriming.
    When I'm shooting my .357/.38 spl target loads, the brass isn't very dirty. Normally I don't have to clean them after just one use. Always with 9mm though......

16. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Hey Buster, I forgot to ask, what type of bullets are you using?

17. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I use a dual drum harbor freight rock tumbler and Lyman walnut media that already has the Rouge mixed in. I have also wet tumbled using BB's and dry the cases using a food dehydrator. I prefer the walnut shells because there is no drying involved, but both methods work well. I actually like the job the B&B'S do. (yeah, I'm cheap!)

18. buster40c

I am using Rainier Ballistics 38 cal 125 gr FP. I store was closing them out so they were on sale. I bought two 500 count boxes for around $49 each box.
    I use a hand tool for depriming, not my press die. When I do the resizing the primer is already gone and the shell is clean.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  19. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

What powder? How much powder? Have you tried the cotton to fill the gap between powder and bullet?

20. buster40c

Hodgdon Clays 2.5 gr. powder and no I didn't add cotton or any filler. I commented about my casings being powder dirty and VT said using cotton filler could help control that.
    I don't know squat about using the cotton filler. I am just punching paper and the shooting grouping is par for my shooting skills.
    If it would dry up a bunch I would be shooting again. My bullet stop has a low spot right in front of it........dang it I didn't think of that when I moved the unit.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016