Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand New Wiley Clapp SP101 357 2.25" headspace too tight right out of the box
took this brand new gun to the range. Tried two separate manufacturers' ammo. Both would not load properly. The headspace was too tight. The rim of the cartridge binds on the recoil shield. I can force the cylinder closed , but after firing, the rounds won't eject with the ejector. Thought about taking Emory cloth to the recoil shield, but dagnabbit , this is a new gun and I shouldn't have to do this. It's Friday night, so I'll have to call Ruger Customer service Monday morning to get an RMA and send it in. Wondering how long it will take to turn this around. Hope the gun comes back fixed, I dread getting it back and finding it still jacked. My first Ruger revolver. Should have stuck with S&W.
So disappointed.
Thoughts?

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Welcome to RugerTalk.

You may want to go to Introductions, and introduce yourself to all of us here.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
The problem you are having I bet Ruger replaces the whole gun. Sounds like your gun should have never made it past the main frame and cylinder check point. The frame or cylinder were machined out of tolerances the way you describe it.
You make the third recent owner of a new Ruger here on this forum with a problem gun from Ruger.
I just got mine back from Ruger and gun came back with a hammer with wear marks on it that weren't there when I sent it to Ruger. I think my hammer was replaced with a hammer from another gun. Her goes my call again to Ruger. I hope they agree to send me a new hammer that isn't used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smmmmmhhh.....

sent my pistol to Ruger. Two weeks to the day and it was returned. They replaced the ejector and cylinder latch. Looks to be fixed. Gonna take it to the range and see. No freebies in the box, two week wait. Smmmmhhhh. Not impressed with The Mother Ship. Should have been right out of the box. Prolly the last Ruger wheel gun I buy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
While the problem is not fun, Ruger fixed it chop,chop. Due largely to production volumes and modern manufacturing techniques, ALL of the gun companies are having these occasional fu-bas, yes even the perfect Glocks and the all mighty S&W.

And to top it off a lot of folks only join forums so that they have a place to cry. There are way more guns out there that run great, right out of the box!

Maybe a slow start, but Enjoy your new Ruger. :spot:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Was thinking of buying the SP-101,
maybe will wait a while.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
As many sp101 revolvers sold without any problems makes this a very rare problem not a common problem with this gun. Granted it makes for a bad day when a new gun has problems but when Ruger makes them right without any argument then that is a positive for buying a Ruger gun.
There was a saying regarding any production item. You don't want a product that was made on Monday or Friday. Human error seems to be higher on those days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sad.......

As many sp101 revolvers sold without any problems makes this a very rare problem not a common problem with this gun. Granted it makes for a bad day when a new gun has problems but when Ruger makes them right without any argument then that is a positive for buying a Ruger gun.
There was a saying regarding any production item. You don't want a product that was made on Monday or Friday. Human error seems to be higher on those days.
It is that attitude that ruined the American auto industry in the 80's and 90's. Ruger has lost me as a future customer. :mad:
Sounds like you are happy with mediocrity.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
"Sounds like you are happy with mediocrity"
I suggest you stick with hand made guns that cost an arm and a leg and I still imagine they even get a bad egg in the basket now and then also. Granted quality control should catch every flawed part or gun but being 100% perfect 100% of the time just doesn't happen. So I guess that means mediocrity is described as the norm. Like was said in above post even the almighty S&W high dollar revolvers are having problems. I don't consider S&W a mediocre gun. I guess they don't have 100% quality control either making them a mediocre gun manufacturer by your thinking.
Yes I can understand being pi$$ed when a new gun malfunctions as I just went through that with a gun known in the industry as the sturdiest made revolver on the market. Yep it is a Ruger M/C but I sure as heck don't consider this gun to be mediocre by any means. Ruger doesn't make mediocre guns IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Me Too

I have a similar problem with sp101 357 snub. Sometimes(randomly) a fired cartridge backs out of the cylinder enough to bind on the recoil shield(nomenclature?) and the cylinder won't turn. If I open the cylinder and push all the cartridges forward, it works OK for a while. No pattern to it. random. I shoot only DA and it makes the trigger almost impossible to squeeze. Have fired about 500 rounds of reloads thru it (158 gr LSWC, 4.6 gr Bullseye). Have fired only a few (<25) factory loads thru it, so I don't know if factory ammo will cause binding also. The gun will do this even when recently cleaned.

I have hesitated to contact Ruger because I think as soon as I say "reloads", they will say that is cause of problem.

Thinking of reloading 50 or 100 jacketed 125 gr bullets to see if problem occurs with them.

Comments, experiences, etc. ...?? ... :confused: old

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
So run 100 rounds of commercial ammo through it. If it happens then, contact Ruger. If it doesn't, something's up at the reloading bench......crimp too tight on some cartridges, maybe??

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I had recently bought some reman 38spl and they jammed two of my 4 guns. Turned out the problem was the casing head rim was to thick and the casings seemed bulged towards the top. Some of them I also had to push the live rounds in to get a flush fit into cylinder. The supplier replaced the whole 1000 rounds and I have had no problems with the replacement rounds.
I agree try some new quality ammo to see if problem persists or not.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
I have hesitated to contact Ruger because I think as soon as I say "reloads", they will say that is cause of problem.

Comments, experiences, etc. ...?? ... :confused: old
DON'T say reloads! :duck:
Like others have said, shoot a bunch of name brand quality factory ammo thru it. When it still has a problem Ruger will take care of you.
Make note of which chamber had the problem, see if it's the same one every time. That'll be good information for CS.
When CS asks what ammo you've been using (they'll ask) you can give em an honest answer.

Too many people take any load they can find in any book and call it a "by the book load" as if that makes it a quality load.
Gun manufacturers know this and will expect that to be the case. Can't blame em for saying no reloads.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I have had to send 2 of my .45 SR1911's back to Ruger and told them that I was using reloaded ammo. .45 ammo is the most widely reloaded and Ruger knows that. They had no problem is servicing my pistols and I had them back in a week. They know that you will shoot reloads so there is no sense lying to them. They run that assembly line fast however quality control does not take a back seat. In order to sell guns, you have to make a quality product and Ruger does. They also stand behind the product they sell. Give the CS a chance before you blow off steam. Take your time to makes notes and stick them in the box that they send you explaining the problem and they will correct the situation.

Tommy

·
Registered
119 Posts
To the OP,
To bad that you had the trouble, and glad that Ruger got it fixed. What a bummer. But stating you will never buy another Ruger is just punishing you're self. Every revolver I own is a Ruger and most were bought brand new. Never ever had a problem with any of them including my 2.5" SP101. I have had S&W and other brands. They do not impress me like the Ruger's and usually get traded for another Ruger instead. I hope you're SP101 works out and Ruger can win you back. Let us know how you're range session ends up.
Good Luck

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
The biggest positive for Ruger besides making a really good product is that no other manufacturer has a better customer service. Have a problem-----------Ruger pays both ways for repair..........often get the gun back repaired in about a week. There are a few gun makers that their guns are twice the cost of a Ruger but good luck getting any service near what Ruger gives.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Headspace to tight, repaired with a little file work A Bearcat, a Shopkeeper, a 22 sp101, and a Smith. Slow and easy, and very careful. There was another one, but don't remember what it was. The Shopkeeper was really bad, the others, not so bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts