Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So..... i ran 3 clips through my brand spanking new mark III last night and had 4 ftf's. I was using remmington's golden bullet, it was actually failure to feed not fire...the round was not presented at an angle and the bullet was smashed at the bottom of the nose. I forgot to clean it and oil it before use, is that my issue?

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Probably.

But the Golden Bullet ammo is not liked by a few of my guns.

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
A good cleaning first,

Try a different mag,

Then try different ammo.

Jim

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did forget my other mag in the box at home and i was there to shoot my new sr45 so i didnt spend much time trying different things. I need to clean my "four horsemen" tonight and then back to the range tomorrow night to see what changes.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Use a mag instead of a clip and your problem might go away. LOL

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
You might find with the .22 ammo being produced today, there will be different tolerances. Years ago I used to buy Winchester Wildcat ammo for $9.95 per brick. Then I went to the Remington Thunderbolt. Not only did my accuracy change, sometimes it would not feed. Now I am talking about at least 25 years ago. Much of the ammo produced, from what I am seeing is being produced overseas. When I go to the range, weekly, I always sweep up my area and I am always surprised on how many
.22 rounds I find that have been fired and not discharged. In my estimation, the tolerances of ammo has greatly changed along with the quality. I would experiment with a few different types of rounds and when you find the one that your gun will digest, then stick to it. Just MHO!

Tommy

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@tommy.... i think ill get some premium ammo and see if that helps. A good thorough cleaning of all my handguns is in the not too distant future.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
@tommy.... i think ill get some premium ammo and see if that helps. A good thorough cleaning of all my handguns is in the not too distant future.
My personal opinion is your gun can never be too clean. When I go to the range, I come home and unload my shooters bag and empty out all the expended brass and then tear my guns down and do the cleaning process. There are many times that it is so hot in my garage that the sweat pours out but they are my EDC's so I don't ever want to have to worry about anything should I need to use it. Sometimes I can do it in 15 minutes and other times it takes an hour but to my it's like having car insurance. We all bitch until the time we need to use it. MHO is all I am saying.

Tommy

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a MkIII, 22/45 Hunter. SS w/ long barrel. Bought it used like new at Carter's Country in Houston. I had big issues with fail to chamber jams. Bullet hit the edge of the feed ramp. After talk with Ruger, who failed to do anything, II found this to be a rather common issue and it is the magazine that is the biggest part of the problem.

I started a thread in the Gunsmithing section forum talking about this issue. Not much feedback here, but a site recommendation and I found several other sites with good info.

I have several MKIII's and a MKII that have never had this issue.

My gun works far better than in the beginning. And it was in such good condition, I think the 1st owner just got frustrated and traded it. I don't think he ever broke it down and cleaned it either.

But try working the lips of the magazine to better position the front of the bullet higher and when loading the mad, make sure all shells are seated back as far as they will go.

And mine did this on all kinds of ammo so I feel it's the mag, not the ammo. Hollow points were far worse as they snagged the ramp easier.

One other thing to check is the rod that the spring rides on above the chamber. A jammed shell can bend this rod and make the opening for ejected shells smaller, increasing the number of jams. When taking down and cleaning always make sure the rod is straight. I had to fix this issue also and it's one of the things mentioned.

Also, I bought new magazines and they work far better, but still once in while, jam time.....Hope this helps

http://www.rugertalk.com/forum/f37/22-45-mkiii-mag-feeding-issue-3058/

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a MkIII, 22/45 Hunter. SS w/ long barrel. Bought it used like new at Carter's Country in Houston. I had big issues with fail to chamber jams. Bullet hit the edge of the feed ramp. After talk with Ruger, who failed to do anything, II found this to be a rather common issue and it is the magazine that is the biggest part of the problem.

I started a thread in the Gunsmithing section forum talking about this issue. Not much feedback here, but a site recommendation and I found several other sites with good info.

I have several MKIII's and a MKII that have never had this issue.

My gun works far better than in the beginning. And it was in such good condition, I think the 1st owner just got frustrated and traded it. I don't think he ever broke it down and cleaned it either.

But try working the lips of the magazine to better position the front of the bullet higher and when loading the mad, make sure all shells are seated back as far as they will go.

And mine did this on all kinds of ammo so I feel it's the mag, not the ammo. Hollow points were far worse as they snagged the ramp easier.

One other thing to check is the rod that the spring rides on above the chamber. A jammed shell can bend this rod and make the opening for ejected shells smaller, increasing the number of jams. When taking down and cleaning always make sure the rod is straight. I had to fix this issue also and it's one of the things mentioned.

Also, I bought new magazines and they work far better, but still once in while, jam time.....Hope this helps

http://www.rugertalk.com/forum/f37/22-45-mkiii-mag-feeding-issue-3058/
Thanks, that is exactly my issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have something like 12-13 rimfire rifles and pistols (including a MkIII Hunter). Several years ago they evidently took a vote in the gun safe (all reside in the same one) and then let me know in no uncertain terms that any rimfire ammunition with the Remington name on it would be a most unwelcome
part of their diet. At the time the voters included two Remington 597 rifles and the ballot measure carried unanimously. Goldens, Thunderfarts, Eley-primed -- it doesn't matter -- there's none on the property -- and everyone is happier for it.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
The same here...

For some reason( quality) I don't allow any Remington .22 ammo to be fired in any of mine anymore either.
Roll a few across a flat surface and watch it roller coaster, and I got a box full of FTF (with good solid firing pin hits) rounds in a box in the gararge ...all Rems.

:rolleyes:

Jim

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think im going try something else, i think in bulk the rems are cheaper but maybe best suited for bolt action.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The same here...

For some reason( quality) I don't allow any Remington .22 ammo to be fired in any of mine anymore either.
Roll a few across a flat surface and watch it roller coaster, and I got a box full of FTF (with good solid firing pin hits) rounds in a box in the gararge ...all Rems.

:rolleyes:

Jim
I agree on Rem quality although the higher powered Yellow Jackets aren't as bad.

Something I've noticed about Rem is they are all dirty firing and leave any gun filthy. I think some of it has to do with the excess paraffin I notice on may types.

It's best to leave Rem anything on the shelf, especially T-Bolts.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The cci rounds are usually my favorite. When i was a kid, i used to plink with those and no issues at all. Even in pouring rain i had no failures. Where im at, there are never any on the shelf.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
...I was using remmington's golden bullet, it was actually failure to feed not fire...
I finally got to take my "new to me" Mark II to the range yesterday and I was having the same issue with Reminton Golden Bullets. I went to the store today and bought some Federal Premium HV Match, hope that will solve the feeding problem.

Guess I'll jump on board the wagon like many others and wont...
...allow any Remington .22 ammo to be fired in any of mine anymore either.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, my mossberg plinkster and my remmington speedmaster will jam with this stuff. I thought both rifles were just dirty but after being cleaned i get same results

1 - 20 of 45 Posts