Bought some long guns today

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Tommycourt, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Today I had a buddy of mine who turns 80 this year and decided he wanted to sell some of his rifles. As it turned out, I ended up buying all 3.

1. Remington Model 12 pump .22 cal. condition good to very good. The condition of this rifle will surprise you due to the age. Approx 80-85% bluing.

2. Remington 760 30.06 slide action that is in ext. good condition 95% bluing, with old Weaver 4X scope in original box and with scope mounts. He also left the original factory iron sights on. No nicks on stock at all

3. Remington 12 ga. Model 31 standard field grade shotgun 75-80% bluing with very clean stock and good slide action.

I also got 6 boxes of 30.06 rounds. 3 boxes of Federal 180gr. 2 boxes of Remington Core Lokt 150 grn.

I ended up giving him $600.00 for everything.

I have not shot a rifle in years but bought these for investment and hope to turn them over. Pictures to follow.

Just wanted to entertain some of your thoughts and how do you think I turned out. It has been over 20 years since I bought any long guns and I did some research but don't have the expertise that some of you may have so any help will be appreciated.

Tommy

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I am seriously handicapped in my analysis of your transaction by complete ignorance of the guns in numbers 1 and 3. I have heard only good things about the Remington 760, except that, it being a pump, you have to full-length resize the cases.

That old Weaver scope has probably lost its nitrogen, but the lifetime warranty may still be in force.

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

You made out like a bandit! I have a model 12, and in good condition they go for 600+ alone! What model twelve is it? I have the 12a. ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1460783648.336213.jpg
    I'd say you made an excellent deal all right!

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Savage,

I got the 12A and just from your photo (and I apologize for not having my photo on yet) my rifle is in better shape as far as the bluing and little scratches that you have. I mean this 12A is in really GOOD shape. I am not knocking yours. When I first looked at it I was thinking, I don't think he has shot this rifle much at all.

Tommy

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

^Nice! That's impressive considering these guns are almost 100 years old. Before mine came into my possession, it was a little bit overlooked, hence the condition of the blueing. I really like the fact that the rifle will come apart into two pieces. My one complaint would be the sights. They are truly terrible. Luckily, the rifle points very naturally and shoots pretty straight, whether you can see the front sight or not. I've killed many squirrels with mine, I like it. I've mostly retired it for now though.

Good work, hope you enjoy shooting it!

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Tommy you did REAL good, it aint everyday you get to make buys that good.:cool:

Congrats,
    We need to see these beauties .....soon.
    :)

Jim

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Gee Tommy it sounds like you fell into a fresh bottle of Hoppes on that deal.

8. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

9. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Wow! What a deal!
    You should change the title to stole some guns ;)
    Very cool!

10. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Man, how come I never find deals like this? Of course, if I did I'd have to go to church every day for a month to repent for stealing!;)JK, that's a great deal and I love that shotgun.