Bought another Ruger for CC

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by rugertoter, Mar 24, 2019.

1. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

I bought this EC9s today. At a sale price of 219$, I could not pass it up. Sadly, I had to pay 30$ for a spare magazine!
    [​IMG]
    I will get it to the range for a breaking in period, sometime this week.

mrmike7189 likes this.
  2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

LC9s.JPG That's quite a good price. I paid $279 sale price for my LC9s. It looks like a twin to your EC9s. Mine also came only with one magazine.
    quote from rugerforum dot net:
    "LC9s has blued finish - EC9s has black oxide finish.
    LC9s has driftable 3 dot sights - EC9s has sights integrally machined into slide & no dots.
    Otherwise they are the same pistol. Same trigger, frame, mags, etc..."

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    rugertoter likes this.

3. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

I use the LC9 for summer carry. If I would have known they ( Ruger ) were going to offer a striker version, I would have waited.
    Got too many upgrades involved with this one and have it where I really like it. Trigger job kit makes double action pull much smoother now. The Hogue 'slip-on' grip sleeve does wonders for this pistol. I don't have large paws, and wear a medium size glove, but this sleeve is really comfortable and the **NEW** Ruger magazines work fine:
    [​IMG]

rugertoter likes this.
  4. buster40c

Today I did some target shooting with my LC9s and it just affirmed why I carry a revolver. Jam a matic big time. At first I was shooting steel case ammo, about 43 rounds. I had a bunch of fte which caused a fail to feed. I had to drop the magazine then then rack the slide to clear the casing that didn't come far enough back to eject. The magazine was a bit hard to release since the spent casing was jammed on top of the next round in the magazine. The spent casing usually was sitting on top of the next round in the magazine. I made sure I wasn't limp wristing it so I don't think that is the problem. I made sure I wasn't riding the slide either. As I recall I had jamming problems since I first got this gun.

Actually I had more of a problem shooting low than having a mussel flip from a weak hold. My first shots I was shooting like a foot low from 10 yards. As I progressed I was hitting more center target.

I then shot a box of WB and I had the same problems. Jam-a- matic. There is no way I would ever carry this gun as my CC.

Should I send this jam-a-matic back to Ruger? This is crap as it is.
    I am interested in how the OP does with his new gun and if anyone else has had more than an occassional jam.
    What say ye?

I did a search and this jamming problem with the LC9s actually has quite a few reports about it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  5. louchia

louchia Member

You did not mention any steps you have taken to correct the issue. Have you checked the extractor for damage, extractor spring, thorough cleaning, etc.
    Definitely call Ruger. Get a shipping label and send it in. From what you say, it is not good to you as is.

Fonzie and SGW Gunsmith like this.
  6. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

No mention of ammunition in the original post. What weight bullet? A heavier bullet will shoot higher. What is your aiming point. Dead on center, or 6 O'Clock?
    My LC9 is the hammer version and I haven't had any issues as far as jamming and I've used a variety of 9 mm Luger factory ammunition in it.
    It's your choice. You can send it back to Ruger or you can work the front sight down a little bit at a time until it prints where you want it to. These are not target pistols, they are for use at rather close distance, within the 50 foot safety margin, so aiming for the throat you will get "center-of-mass-hits".

Fonzie likes this.
  7. buster40c

Moved jam to new thread.

8. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Well, I took the Ruger EC9S, my Security 9, and my Beretta 92FS Compact to the range this morning, and the new EC9S ran perfectly. If I have one gripe, it would be the front sight post is, for me anyways, too thin in the rear sight notch...again, this is just a personal preference.

I shot the Ruger EC9S from 25 feet, two hand hold, and touched one off at about 1.5 second intervals. I shot 115 grain ball, and Speer Gold Dot 147 grain loads, and all ran 100%.

Muzzle "flip" was minimal, but I think I will add one of the slip-on rubber grip sleeves though, because the grip is a little skinny for my XL sized hands...the pistol tended to "twist" in my grip.

Overall, the gun was super reliable, and pretty much shot to point of aim, at least at 25 feet. Another great product from Ruger.
    [​IMG]

Fonzie likes this.
  9. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

The EC9s interests me, but I just can not bring myself to "pull the trigger" on one.

I have been in the market for a single stack 9mm for a few years now. Just having a problem finding one I really like. First, I judge every potential handgun purchase buy comparing the firearm to the S&W model 10 or the Colt model of 1911. Second, my favorite producer of firearms is Ruger. Third, I kike steel.

I have never met a Ruger Revolver I did not like. Kind of lukewarm on the LCR/LCRX models, but they have a place.

Ruger semi automatics are a different story. I like the MKII but kind of lost interest with the changes that came with the the MKIII. I like P series, although I am not fond of the DA/SA trigger. I very much like the SR1911. And I like the American pistols. The Security 9 and LCP II I am lukewarm on, but again, they have a place.

I wish Ruger made a version of their American Compact Pistol, but they don’t, so I am looking elsewhere. KAHR has the K and T series pistols. One of those is a strong contender. All steel nut a bit pricy. The other is the Honor Defense Honor Guard. I do think it will be the Honor Guard.

I amoust bought the Honor Guard a while back, but found out it was deemed not drop safe. I understand that the concern has been addressed. But wait, it is plastic you say! No, in my opinion, it is not. Like the American Pistol the only plastic in the pistol is the grip frame. The chassis, which is the real gun is stainless steel, as are all other parts. The grip frame is easily switched out, to me no different than the grip panels on the 1911.

So, unless my beloved Ruger comes out with something comparable in the very near future to the Honor Guard, my next firearms purchase will be a non-Ruger product. The first such purchase in a very long time.

6D1B4932-4B17-4E29-81CE-FBE55A139DC4.jpeg

10. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

The new Mossberg 9mm seems pretty impressive from what I've read. I am looking forward to actually seeing them in the stores.

Buying an all steel, single stack pistol, is going to be pricey. The polymer guns are easier to produce and lighter, thus so many of them, but lots of them have steel chassis inside the polymer grip frame, so I don't think there is going to be longevity issues.

11. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

polymer pistols are definately lighter, and pouring plastic in a mold is definately cheaper than machining metal.

very few of the "plastic fantastics" have a chassis. most of them have a reciever block. and a good number of the reciever blocks are aluminum. examples are the Security9 which kas an aluminum reciever block, and the American pistol, which has a stainless steel chassis.

Another way to tell the difference is how easy it is to remove the grip. For examples look at the Security 9 again, You have to drive out pins to remove the reciever. The American Pistol you just remove the takedown lever and the chassis comes right out.

The Security 9 will last me my lifetime and a lot longer, nothing wrong with it. It will remain my truck gun, but the American Pistol will remain my EDC. I will pay the extra dollars and tote the extra weight to make me happy.

Another example. The S&W Shield has a polymer frame and a steel reciever. it has a plastic trigger. magazine release, and back plate. the Honor Defense Honor guard has almost exactly the same profile, internals are different. It has a plastic grip frame, stainless steel chassis. All parts except the grip frame are also steel. It weighs a few ounces more and costs a bit more.

12. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

and I am not condemning the EC9S. It is what the people want and a decent pistol that like the Security9, will last a lifetime or more.

I do like it, it's just not exactly what I want. I walked away from one just a few months ago. just under $230 out the door. I felt in the end I think I would not be happy though. I walked away from a $230 deal that would do all I needed it to do, just so I could spend more on something that will not do the job any better. Or so the spousal unit says.

it has nothing to do with anything but likes and dislikes.

13. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Buster,

The only jams my LC9s ever has are from steel case ammo or from very fast light bullet ammo. Check your mags - Ruger branded "made in Italy" mags are from Mec-Gar and are of the best quality. Ruger "made in USA" mags are of much lower quality. I have 3 Italian mags for carry and the USA mag is just for range time now.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you. The LC9s has a pretty good rep for reliability. I guess, barring a limp wristing problem, yours needs to go back to Arizona for some TLC...

14. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

I almost boufht an EC9 in August '18 at a gunshow. Guy had them for 199. He only had the hammer firfed guns, so I passed it. Didn't make much sense to buy it cause I had just sold my first LC9 at the front of the show for 280 and I still had the LLC9s at home. My intent was to buy another LC9S. The guy did not have an EC9s, so I did not make the buy. Liked ghe striker fired guns better. Both worked perfectly fine with all the ammo I put through them.

And I stumbled on a SCCY 9 in a swap a few weeks later, so I decided to give it a dance. Don't care for the DA guns, but th4 trigger on it was much better than the KelTec P11 I had 15 years ago. The Taurus Pt111was even worse in DA only at That time.

My son has ghe SCCy 9 now and I may go for The EC9s, but a Glock 43 might be interesting just cause I don't have one. But it ain't much different than the Shield which I already have and don't carry much. Decided if I was going to carry any double stack like the SCCY, it would be my Glock 27 in .40 cal. Might just get a G26 at some point also cause I don't have one.

All the 9s and 40s just seem to keep gettinh more redundant. I have dumped 4 of my 9s and a couple of .40s in the last few months. Don't matter much cause some more will always turn up at the shows. And my thirst for .45 cal autos seens to be getting worse. Not a bad thing. They are just more expensive to feed.

Most of the time, I will have a 5 shot rrevo 38/.357 or my LC9s in my pocket when I am shooting the bigger guns.

15. louchia

louchia Member

Can you explain why you think USA mags are of "much lower quality"? I have mags made both U.S. and Italian. They seem exactly the same.

16. spikedriver

My "USA" mag have a dull finish, scratch more easily, bend more easily ( the notch for the mag catch has had to be re-bent twice, as it would slip off the catch and fall out), and the spring is noticeably softer than the Italian mags. The Italians have a nice durable glossy shine, better springs, and don't bend at the notch. They also seem to fit a little tighter but still drop free.

If you Google it you'll find threads on other forums about it the lesser quality of the USA mags. I should note that the Italian Mec-Gars I have are all Ruger branded ones I've bought brand new at gun stores. My LC9 hammer came with one USA and I traded that mag in when I traded the gun on a new LC9s. That gun also came with a USA mag. Like I said before, I only carry the Italians. I just don't trust the American mags any more...

17. spikedriver

This range pic illustrates the difference in the finish. The USA mag is in the middle of the three mags on the table. You can very clearly see the difference: Screenshot_20190401-232003.png

mrmike7189 likes this.