Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
S&W model 28-2 in box.jpg
Yep I went and done it again. I have been reading a lot about the S&W models 27 and 28 in .357 magnum. These guns are the big N frame design and supposed to be very accurate and have great trigger action. The 28-2 is the poor working man clone of the 27. Basically only difference between the two is the 28-2 has a satin blue finish instead of the polished deep blued finish on the 27. This will be mostly a safe sleeper since it sure isn't a carry gun.
I was bit so of course the next thing I do is start looking for one. I told myself if I find a 28-2 for around $600 I would buy it and well I found one. It will probably take a week before it gets into my hands. It was made early 1967 and has a 6" barrel that appears to be in very good condition by the pics and dealer description. I hope that is the case I find when I get it. View attachment 12302

·
Registered
685 Posts
As an auxiliary in my younger days, we had to provide our own handguns. It had to be able to chamber and fire 38 special +P+. My BIL who also worked in LE gifted me a new S&W Model 28. You will like that handgun.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nice find, those are really good guns. The only thing that could be named your last gun would be the one you are buried with.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the 28-2 today and it was better than I expected. No buyers remorse on this one.
The double action was a bit heavy so I backed off the tension screw 1/4 turn and that got the action where I like it now. The single action is more like cutting butter than breaking glass.
The gun appears to have been shot very little and the finish overall looks better than I expected. The grips number to the gun and are in excellent condition.
It's a biggun so no it will not be a carry piece that's for sure.
28-2 SW 001.JPG

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Vertical shoulder holster maybe?
Cool weather of course. (Aprox 3 months round here). Lol

:D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Awesome gun Buster, congratulations on your new gun. It’s a great find on something that far back and in such pristine, immaculate condition. Are you ready to sell it? LOL. I absolutely love my GP-100 .357 magnum. I sleep comfortably with mine under my pillow and I carry it when out and about in the outdoors with a leather Bianci holster. You just need a good strong 1 ½ or 1 ¾ wide belt for it to be a comfortable carry. It feels good on the hip, just my 2 red cents on that.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Congrats compadre. Muy Buena pistola. I cut my teeth on one. Well, on the Sam Browne holster rig that my dad carried one in. He use to hang the rig on the end of my crib when he came home from work as a Chief LEO in the city. He was the only on qwirh a magnum at the time. The other 2 guys had some old leae cutting Colt Police Poaitive .38s. Actually it was the first handgun I ever fired. I use to sneak it off to onwe od rhe ranges when I was in Jr High. He hardluy ever carried it cause of the weight of the rig & gun. He had a Colt .25 that he usually always had with him. So, the 3.5" Mod 28 put in more with me till I left for college. I used all the .38 spl. and mag ammo I found in drawers & ashtrys in the house cause he put fresh ammo in it often.

Never did get the gun outta all the Chief's that came after he retired. One LEO used it for years after that. Saw the gun in his holster when he came by my office at the juvenile department. Recognized it right away. The gun had been blue and was sent to be nickled when I was in high school. When it came back, I sneaked it off and found that it was outa timea. The cylinder would jump over the bolt stop and misfire. Checked rhe cylinder, bolt stop and ratchet for probems. Looked like the cylinder & extractor were all beat up by the firing pin and it would not extract well. Had to file fit all the parts there and found that the bolt stop spring was outta place. Easy fix on that model. It was a 4 screw frame. The screw in front of the trigger guard just had to be backed out and the spring repositioned. After that, it worked fine. I had to tell my dad I had fixed it cause he used it to quality every year. From the dents on the cylinder, it appared that he had tried to use it. He had tried and gave up on it. He did not want to carry it anyway. He had requrested a Chief's Special .38 snub, but the city would not pay for it.

Well, he was kinda pizzed that I had been sneaking it off, especially being department issue. But glad it worked at least. He was given a Colt Trooper Mk III in .22 LR cal. when he retired cause he did not get the old 28 and I got him the Trooper III in .357 a few years later. I have them both now, but I would have given the department any new gun they wanted for the old Mod 28. It might still be in the gun locker there.

Yeah, I get all nostalgic when someone mentions a 28. I had a couple of nice 6" blue ones, that I no longer have. Hsrd to find a 4" one at all around here. Much less an early 3.5" one like his. it was so smoooooth. Even the 66, 686, and 629 that I have date back to the 80s and 90s. They are nowhere near that smooooooth.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Awesome revolver,I know what you mean about buying the last gun.I happen's to me way to much...lol

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the last gun I just bought.
It is an Beretta 81 .32 acp with a 7 round magazine and da/sa trigger. It is a law enforcement trade in I got for $239 delivered. It is like a mini Beretta 92fs. The Beretta 84f .380 is basically the same gun but changed barrel and magazine. Actually the 81 barrel can be swapped out with certain model 84 barrels and magazine to shoot the .380 acp.
I shot 100 rounds through it and not so much as a hickup. The sights are sorta sucky but usable. The 81 BB model has adjustable rear sight and better front sight. The gun is more accurate than I am with it. Surprising the bullet goes POA. I just have to hold on POA to hit POA which is my usual shooting problem.
I was wanting a 32 acp semi auto but thought more of a pocket mouse. I came across this sale from another forum and for the price I decided to get one. The gun is Beretta quality.
Beretta 81 32acp 002.JPG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts