bought a taurus ....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by hoosierguy, Nov 14, 2019.

1. hoosierguy

hoosierguy New Member

44 mag . 6.5 barrel . anyone else have or shot one ? weather has been awful here

hope to shoot it in a few days . just an impulse buy . lots of debate about taurus quality . on exam the gun looks pretty well made . hopen it will be a good one !

Pancho_Villa and rugertoter like this.
  2. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I've had a few Taurus revolvers in my day...........had being the operative word! Certainly not the quality of older S&W or Rugers! All of mine loosened up in a very short period of time! Just sayin!

3. hoosierguy

hoosierguy New Member

thanks paul.....
    yeah , have like stories . was more or less an impulse buy . the gun seems pretty tight , but i will give info after firing it . taurus has came a long way in the last 5-10 years , i am just not sure how far . it does have a life time warranty if there are any problems

4. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

The only Taurus revolver I have is the M605, in .357 Mag. I have had it awhile, and have put about 250 .38 Special & .38 Special + P's through it, and about 50 or so rounds of .357 Magnum. Mine still locks up tight, and I carry it as often as possible.

I also have a G2C, and have close to 500 rounds through it...it has been flawless, even with 147 grain loads. Those tend to jam up some of my pistols.

5. hoosierguy

hoosierguy New Member

with out a doubt , taurus does make some good, serviceable guns . i checked my gun when i first handled it . the cylinder locks tight and it indexes properly on each cylinder and the trigger is pretty darn light on both double & single action . feels good in hand also . gonna have it out to range soon , !

rugertoter likes this.
  6. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

Good to know about Taurus. I've been wanting the Taurus Tracker in .357, possibly .44.
    How's the recoil on the .44? Pretty stiff, or too stout for a normal sized 5'10" kind of person..

7. OLDBRASS

OLDBRASS Member

I've shot a Taurus 41mag very inmpessive. My wifes edc is a Taurus 38 stubby it goes bang everytime

rugertoter likes this.
  8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Let us know your range report on that hand cannon.

9. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

10. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

I have had better performance with the revolves than the autos. The qutos seem to be better now. I have had several model 85, 5 shpt .38 spl. revolvers, no issues with those. Cuttently have an 85 UL and it has been flawless. Had a 605 snub ,357 and it was great. Back in the '90s I had acouple of model 82 .38 spls. Like q S&W Mod 10. Those had no issues. Also had a Mod 66 in .357. The barrel shook loose in the frame. I had to lock it back in. It worked right them. It was like the S&W mod 19. Recently, I had a used Protector in stainless, 5 shot in .357 with the shrouded hammer. The gun was o.k. in D.A. mode, but the hammer took both hands to manually cock it for S.A.

Now for the .44 mag Tracker. I got it as you did. Guy I knew brought it in a gunshow and it was a 2.5'' round butt snubby. Not being able to afford the S&W 629 snubs, I bought it. I have a Super BBH & 4'' S&W 629, but don't carry them in the field as backups to a rifle due to weight. Have .357s I use, but would rather use a .44 mag. So this is suppose to do it. So far, it had exraction problems with the max handloads I use in my 629. Didn't even bother to try the hotter SBH loads. Accurate enough at close ranges. D.A. & S.A. were both good. Recoil was stout with magnums, noisy, & a large fireball out front.

I only had Winch. 200 gr. Silver tip JHPs in .44 spl. for a facgory load. Ain't had any factory .44 mag I some time to try it in the gun to see about the extraction. The .44 Spl loads worked perfectly and extracted just tine. Probably work out a handload along those spexcs in .44 mag cases later when I run outta the .44 spls.

100_0089 (2).JPG
    I call it my ''Po' man's'' 629 snub.

rugertoter likes this.
  11. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

That's a good looking revolver buddy! Looks to be a good carry size as well...not too big, not too small.

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  12. hoosierguy

hoosierguy New Member

an update ... finally !
    after the having 6 months, i took it too the range last week. only had 44 mag. loads so that is what i shot. was 45-50 ft. away from target . single action was sweet & the hits were very good , mostly in the 9 circle on the target . double action was not as accurate but decent enough to count . managed to get 4 out of 6 shots low in the center 9 ring touching each other . if i can't shoot the gun can !
    by the time i reloaded & fired the 5th cylinder full my hand was stating to tire ! believe the grip is a little large for my average hand .
    liked firing the gun . the recoil was a bit more than i expected but not un-controlable .
    will take it out again this summer . i like it so it is a keeper !

Stonebuster likes this.
  13. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

I also bought a 6" stainless Tarus Tracker .44 mag virtually new with only a box of rounds through it. My buddy had other .44 mag pistols and wanted to sell it. $400. seemed fair.

Got the Tarus Tracker in March and then in April I got a 1980 RUGER Single Six with .22 LR/.22 WMR cylinders. Great pistol and only $315. Up until that time I had never owned a revolver and I'm a geezer. I like 'em both and theTarus is very decent quality. No it's not a Damn Wesson but it IS very serviceable and I'd bet my life on it in a grizzly confrontation, which is why I bought it.

greg_r likes this.
  14. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

My experience with Taurus revolvers is limited, but it has been positive. I have had a M85 For some 25 years. It has been shot extensively and still runs perfectly. My nephew has a 608. I know of no issues with it either.

I finally decided to buy the 9mm revolver I had wanted for so long. I had decided on thevRuger SP101. There was one of the new a Taurus 692 revolvers in the case. After comparing the two, I chose the Taurus. Bigger, heavier, carried 2 more rounds than the Ruger, and it was $50 cheaper. Still expensive for a Taurus I think. Plus it came with an interchangeable 38/357 cylinder.

I bought 15 TK Custom moon clips for it. I did not like the Taurus clips. Two would securely hold only 6 rounds out of the package and both promptly broke when I tried to adjust them. The remaining 3 however still work well.

The revolver itself runs well, it is accurate and pleasant to shoot. And it has a very good trigger for a production revolver. Maybe I just got lucky on the trigger, don’t know.

Reliability wise I have no complaints. I have shot it every weekend except one since I bought it. Typically I shoot 50 rounds of 357 and all 18 of the moon clips. That’s over 2700 rounds since I bought it. I can see the .22 Long Rifle version in my future.

I have no regrets.

15. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

Thanks greg, I bought a stainless .44 mag. Tarus Tracker, practically new from my shooting buddy. 2nd revolver ov my life. After getting my middle finger get bumped had by the rear of the trigger guard I got a Hogue grip and it is now comfortable to shoot. I bought the Tarus only for the times I'd be backpacking in grizzly country.

A few weeks earlier I bought a 1980 manufacture RUGER Single Six with .22 LR and .22mag cylinders. Great 2lb. 4 oz. trigger and exceptional quality. I can see why used it cost a lot more than a new RUGER Wrangler.

Eric B.