Bought a Ruger In A Zip Lock Bag

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by MARYANN, Feb 14, 2019.

1. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

About two weeks ago I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk Old Model . It came to me in two Zip Lock Bags and a box . Today I made it back in to one piece and did shoot it .

It has a 7.5 Barrel the blue is not so good but I will fix that . Sending it out today to have the barrel cut to 4 5/8 and a new front sight .

This poor thing will have a new life and be shot a bunch and I have the parts to make a half a gun to . All this fun for $150 bucks

Carl Crosby, fredc, 835mag and 4 others like this.
  2. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Post some pics please!

armbruse likes this.

3. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Muy Bueno MaryAnn!!!!!!!!! Always wanted to cut one of mine down back in the days when there were no short .44 mags. Never did. Bought a short .41 mag instead.

Only baggers I have picked up were a Ruger MKI and a Colt SAA. Got both working.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  4. armbruse

armbruse Member

Like paulruger says, pics please.

You should enjoy, I got one from a buddy, close to the same way. I really enjoy mine, but only changed sights.

5. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

Happy to post a picture when it gets back from the barrel cutting .

6. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

Actually, that's not really bad. At one point in time I had several customers wanting Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnums, and the only ones available from distributors were the 10 ½ barreled versions.
    I cut the barrels shorter on a few of those and re-silver soldered the front sight back on and installed a 'glow orange' front sight insert and white outline rear blade:
    [​IMG]
    This makes the sights much more visible when up against a dark target.
    I did do one shortening job on a .44 Super Blackhawk for myself to 6-inches. I could pull that revolver out of a Bianchi rig much faster than the 7 ½ original barrel, and figured I just might need that for an upcoming trip to Crossville, TN for a handgun hunt for hogs.
    The front sights are silver soldered onto the barrels, or at least they were then, so that's how I re-set the front sight. Used a trick I learned as a toolmaker cub from an 'ol fart from Czechoslovakia on how to prevent the barrel steel from decarbing in the bore during the silver soldering process. Worked like a charm, and that revolver was the most accurate .44 magnum I ever had and cleared my holster very quickly.

7. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Wow. For that price, it could come in a paper bag as far as I would be concerned!

8. 41magnum

41magnum New Member

nice work SGW!
    back in my 'smithing days, mine were VERY similar cept I used chartreuse insert mat'l, since it absorbed light better...that is, unless the customer wanted something else.
    OH, MARYANN, great bag buy!