Bore snake

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by buster40c, Jul 14, 2017.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I just started using a bore snake for all my 22lr guns including the handguns. I really like the ease of using a bore snake versus rodding out and patch cleaning. Especially on the 22lr since the bore is so small. If I want to do just a quick cleaning then I really appreciate the bore snakes. Two pulls and its done with a shining bore.

Have you tried snakes and what is your opinion of them? How do you use the snakes? Do you wet the bristle section of the snake with hopes#9 or just run the snake dry?

2. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Never used a snake on a .22lr. I can see how it would be useful though, as .22s don't suffer much from copper fouling. When I used snakes on my high powers, they were ok for punching the loose crud out, like for a quick cleaning at the range or before putting the gun away. I liked that I could run some #9 through the bore, knock the powder out of it, and oil it all in one pass. But for thorough cleaning and getting rid of copper fouling they didn't cut it.

mrmike7189 and pmdoit like this.

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I've got one for me .22's and one for my .30/06

I like them

pmdoit likes this.
  4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I like bore snakes and own several. Great for a quick cleaning, but doesn't replace the need for that occasional breakdown and thorough cleaning. Iwet the bristle part.

C. D. Bates, mrmike7189 and pmdoit like this.
  5. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Watch out for the fangs around the end of the barrel.

Attached Files:

6. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I like them for a quick clean. I put Hoppes just in front of the brush section.

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I like them,
    I have them in every caliber I need.

Usually I add bore cleaner solvent to the front section of the snake .

I may add a little Rem oil to the tail end for the last pass.
    Then run a clean patch thru to see if its clean.

Yep....bore snakes are a good invention.IMHO.

Jim

C. D. Bates and pmdoit like this.
  8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hah. I prefer to clean guns the way paw did.

Hah 2. I have several bore snakes. Because I like to store the guns with a light coat of oil in the bores - and prefer not to remove the oil with a speeding bullet, I use the bore snakes to do the removing.

Question: In case I decide to depart from the lessons of history, and clean bores with bore snakes - how do you clean the bore snakes?

jmohme likes this.
  9. phideaux

Once in a while , I throw mine in a pot of water with Dawn detergent , soak overnight,

Swish them around , sqeeze em a few times, rinse real good, hang to dry ,

Good to go.

Jim

C. D. Bates, paulruger and pmdoit like this.
  10. buster40c

LOL The Dawn keeps your hands nice and soft also. Just had to add that in here.

Carl Crosby and pmdoit like this.
  11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Enforced idleness while his fingers heal (and the summer heat continues) is going to increase the softness. "Soft as a baby's butt".

:duck:

12. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Pretty! Look better dead though!

13. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Well how about that.

Somebody gave me a little used bore snake. I never even took it out of the bag. At a glance I thought this thing ain't gonna do much.

I didn't have a clue about what it would be good for. Reading this thread gives me some ideas.

Thanks guys... :)

14. buster40c

Yeah Mag I had mine for months before I finally opened the package and tried it. Me likey.

15. phideaux

Buy the cheap China ones off Ebay.

Just as good, ask me how I know.;)

M U C H cheaper in price.

Jim

16. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Best thing since sliced bread...have two for every caliber I own...one in the range bag and one for duty at home.

They work...

17. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I also use for quick clean before leaving the range. Still give good clean at home if going to store in safe for awhile.:cool:

18. buster40c

I just ordered 3 snakes. 12ga, 38-9-357, and 45. Total $5,97 and the seller is even in the USA.

19. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

Personally.........no, I do not, or will not, use a "bore snake" on any of my .22 rimfire guns. Here's why. The cloth rope involved with the bore snakes that I've seen and, once tried, become embedded with carbon and the glass particles involved with the primer mix that makes up rimfire priming compound. I, just don't feel I want to drag that impregnated rope through a .22 rimfire bore with groove to land height, in the bore, that's only 0.0020 to 0.0025 of an inch in distance, over and over again. It's bad enough that a lead bullet needs to push that stuff along the barrel and out the muzzle, so I just don't want to exacerbate the problem with a cloth rope having an accumulation of stuff in it. I now use a length of "weed-whacker" line and pull a felt plug soaked with EEZOX through 2 times, and then a dry plug:

[​IMG]

Carl Crosby likes this.
  20. silveradoman59

silveradoman59 Member

SGW, I like that set up. What did you attach to the end of the string to keep the felt plug on the line? Where did you get the felt plugs? I'd like to make to make one for my 22lr's.
    And thanks for the idea.

SGW Gunsmith likes this.