Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Derringers, neat little "Two Shooters". The last one I owned was a .380, all aluminum.
Any time I carry a derringer alone I feel very outgunned with two shots and a gun that could hit the broad side of a barn, but only if you're inside the barn. Lol

I see greg_r mentioned Bond Arms in another thread. Those are some neat little two shooters.
This is the one that does it for me... You can change barrels and have different calibers and lengths.
A guy could have a one gun collection made up of multiple barrel / calibers. How cool is that!
Now if I could just find a use for a derringer 'belly gun'... Backup gun in an ankle holster maybe?
Well, it does have the 'cool factor' going for it......

Attachments

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I have read a lot of positive reviews on Bond Arms derringers. I also noticed some are not all that small. I figured the recoil would be like a mule kick but if it was heavy enough then maybe not. I also thought they are expensive for what they are.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I wanted one specifically for a snake/fishing gun. It would take over the role that's played by my H&R 45/410 Survivor. It could also be used as a car gun with the nice driving holster Bond Arms sells. I wanted the Snake Slayer IV. I went to the Bond Arms site and found it they had one called the Texan now with 6" barrels!

I thought hard about it, but the Taurus 45/410 was over $200 cheaper. Left me enough to buy the M85 Protector Poly as well after the Taurus rebate. Hope I don't regret my decision.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
It seems to me a derringer with that long of a barrel defeats the purpose of a derringer.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Jerry,

If anything it would make a good toe nail clipper and if I caught a fish that big, it would never get into my boat. I once saw a man in Canada with his wife fishing and he was hollering at her when the boat landed. And he was nasty with her and she never said a word. I asked him POLITELY why he was so upset. He said he had been coming to Canada to fish for musky and today he hooked onto a big one. I told my wife to get the gaff and gaff him when he got near the boat. She pulled out his fillet knife and he thought that is one gutsy woman. She then proceeded to cut the line. She said anything that big and mean was not going to get into the boat with her. After that is was all over except the shouting. True story!

Tommy

·
Registered
992 Posts
I like those derringers and also the little 22 revolvers but knowing my luck my thumb would slip while cocking it and I'd shoot my own toe off...

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
There isn't a trigger guard on many derringers to keep from doing just that.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I always liked the snake slayer. They are so expensive though......

·
Registered
685 Posts
It seems to me a derringer with that long of a barrel defeats the purpose of a derringer.
That it defeats the classic definition of Derringer I agree. Wether or not it defeats the purpose of the Derringer depends on what your purpose is. As noted mine is as a snake gun, something that will throw 1/2 ounce of #9 shot effectively out to about 21 feet. I think the 4.24" and 6" barrels would excell.

The classic definition of the Derringer, that being a small large bore belly gun, is met by the 45 Mini, a 2 1/2" 45 Colt. And the more modern looking Backup which can be had in 45 acp. I don't like the rrimless cartridges in the Bond Arms Derringer though. They have a cut in the barrel that exposes the rim where you can use a fingernail to pluck out the case.

The neat thing is, buy the Snake Slayer and an extra 2 1/2" barrel set and you can swap out barrels to suit your needs with a simple few turns of a allen head bolt.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts