Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought these grips on eBay a few years ago, $25 shipped.

I saw some for sell that looked very similar, they called them African Rosewood.

Anybody know if that's what these are? There are no markings on the backside.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
The word you're looking for is pretty. Pretty wood grips

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I like how you have the two-tone frame. Custom work?

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Magnum has bragged on that two-tone job before; you just gave him another opening.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I would think Jim would have the best idea of what kind of wood that is. He is a "furniture" guy by making a lot of his own grips and some for others. He would be my "go to" guy.

Tommy

P.S. That looks very much like African mahogany. I used that on building the bed for my Model A Ford pick up. Problem is you can only buy it in very small quantities. I was fortunate as I bought some African mahogany that measured 20" high and 50" long with a thickness of 2''. Today it is impossible to buy that size as they quit foresting the rain forest. For a slab to be that large the tree must be at least 125 yrs. old. However smaller pieces are available.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like how you have the two-tone frame. Custom work?
Magnum has bragged on that two-tone job before; you just gave him another opening.
Finally... Got somebody to ask! :cool: :laugh2:

Years of shooting in our hot humid Summer weather wore most of the finish off the grip frame.
I paid a guy that does Cerakote to blast the remaining black / bluing off of the alloy parts.
My intention was to polish the parts to a mirror finish but I liked the way they looked as is.

What's that you say VT? You want another pic? OK, Here you go... :cheesy:

Attachments

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I dont pretend to be an expert in exotic woods
I am fairly familiar with most native woods and some exotics.

I can tell you , for sure, that your grips are of the Rosewood species, from the color and the grain,as best I can tell from the pic.

Can't tell ya which country of origin precisely, but if I had to guess , I'd put my money on Brazilian Rosewood.

Thats where the most of our Rosewoods come from.

Sample Brazilian Rosewood
rosewood.jpg

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
They look good on that revolver,I like wood grips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts