Best Scope Recommendation

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by Shelge20, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Shelge20

Shelge20 New Member

I have recently purchased a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .300 rcm. I am looking for a scope recommendation. I currently have a Leupold VX-11 in 2-7x33 magnification. Don't know if this would be adequate for it. I hunt deer in Texas every year. Hunt elk in New Mexico occasionally. Will hopefully make it to Alaska someday soon and let my wife hunt caribou and moose with it. At least that's the future plan for now. Just looking for one all around scope is all. Trying to stay around a $400 dollar price tag also. Any Recommendations???

2. 67stingray

67stingray Member

You might want to look at the Nikon Monarch 3 2.5 X 10 BDC, I've got one on my Remington Model 700 7MM, really like it.

Attached Files:

3. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

TBH, I'm not a fan of huge magnification. For the same quality, lower magnification costs less. How far is the longest shot you honestly think you could make under field conditions? If that's less than 300 yards then your 2x7 should be fine and your VXII is a good quality scope. If you've got the skill for a 400 yard shot then 10x or 12x would be good and I'd look at Vortex scopes. Also I believe Weaver still has some scopes for <$400 that would work. That Nikon Monarch mentioned above has a good reputation also. Redfield has some stuff that sells for about 350, I don't know how well they hold up but I have shot off the bench with them and the optics seemed pretty good.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Shelge20

Shelge20 New Member

Thank you for the input.

5. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

The Redfield scopes are made by Leopold now incase some one is not aware.;)

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

In 1981 I put a Leopold 2.5 - 8 magnification scope on my 25-06.
    Every time I take a shot when deer or hog hunting I want it down on about 2.5 ~ 3 power.
    When it conked out a couple of years ago they replaced it for free.

Now that I enjoy punching paper out to 400+ yd (if I ever have time for that again) and hunt very little, I kinda wish I would've bought the 3.5 - 10 in the beginning.
    I believe it would make a good compromise for both hunting and targets.

67stingray likes his 2.5 - 10 BDC... That sounds like a no compromise set-up to me.

My scope ownership is limited to those two Leopolds and two 2 - 7 Vortex RF scopes so my information about scopes is well, limited.
    Although, I have shot targets with rifles that had 12 magnification scopes, worked for me out at 500.

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

You might laugh but I hunted elk for years with my Remington 700 BDL with a Weaver wide angle 3x9 scope. Most of my shots were under 300 yds. but I did take 1 @ 400yrds using Nosler partition 175 grn. bullet in New Mexico. It was a spine shot from the off hand position. I also had a Zeiss 12X on one of my varmit rifles, Remington 700 BDL .223 cal. Just a suggestion. Really depends on which position you are going to use when it comes to the type of scope you may use. I took 7 elk with this 700 BDL. If you are going to shoot from a rested position, you may want a higher magnification. Usually higher magnification scopes were used on prairie dogs and antelope. Antelope can see 8X better than the human eye so long shots are the norm. Good luck!!!

Tommy

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  8. nick7274

nick7274 New Member

I would check out the Vortex Viper 6.5-20. Excellent scope for the $. You can get the 6.5-20×50 as Cameraland right now for $299 and the 6.5-20×44 at Midway for $329.

9. Shelge20

Shelge20 New Member

Thanks guys. I went with a Bushnell Trophy Extreme 2-15X50. It is illuminated and works well on the lowest illumination setting. Any higher and it's just too bright for me. It also has side parallax adjustments. It had the features I wanted for about $240. It remains to be seen how it'll work in the woods. At the range it performs well. I don't usually care for imported optics's but it has a quality picture. Thanks everyone