Best ruger rovolver

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by blakesaville95, Sep 9, 2016.

1. blakesaville95

blakesaville95 New Member

I turn 21 in two months and i have always been a fan of revolvers. Can someone give me some good gun ideas to start out with? Im a fan of Ruger so im thinking about a sp101 or a gp 100, iv read some good reviews about both

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Both are very good guns. I'm partial to the GP100 myself because it holds one more round than the sp101 and weighs more (read as less recoil). I also think that the GP100 looks better.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well, the SP101 is racier, the GP100 is meaner. ;)

4. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Which ever suits YOU best, fits YOUR hand best and appeals to YOU is the ones that would be "best". Personally, I'm much more of a single action fan and am one that feels starting small and progressing as skills and techniques dictate is best as well.

5. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Those are both fine guns, don't forget the used Security Six may meet your needs better. :D

6. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

CCW would be SP101 in .357 mag.

7. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Ruger doesn't make bad revolvers. Try 'em all if you can. I've never owned one but I've shot the GP and Security six. They are both great. My XFIL carries a 101 in .357 and he loves it. I don't think you can go wrong with any Ruger revolver.

8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

SP101 or GP100? You can't make a bad choice.
    You know you're going to end up with both anyway don't you? :D
    Guns are like that, yes they are. ;)

Like nick said, if you go for the SP101 get it in .357 Magnum.
    You can shoot 38's in it if you want and 357's are lots of fun!

9. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Polish up the internals and swap the springs. Total cost is around $15 plus 1hr. labor which was very interesting. Shoot .38 special as MB mentioned and IMHO is the best value snubnose .357 mag. one can buy.

It is heavy all stainless steel, but well balanced and won't fatigue the shooter quickly. Recoil is just enough to let you know it's there. It shoots like a velvet pillow, my favorite revolver combination to shoot.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      53.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      47 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

SP101...

...or a Super Blackhawk if you really want to scare them... :eek:

[​IMG]

11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

It's a purpose-loaded question, I think. A pocket holster for the SBH would be special purpose.

12. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Charles Bronson would carry the SP101 while Wyatt Earp would carry the Blackhawk.

13. dogkinkead

dogkinkead New Member

If you are buying a gun for target shooting, home defense or hunting, go with the GP100. If you are looking for a carry gun the SP101 is easier to conceal. You can't really go wrong with either, built like tanks, but you will feel a bit more recoil with the SP101.

14. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Don't leave out the single actions though! (Unless it's for CC) a Blackhawk or Vaquero can be lots of fun!
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1473611804.168583.jpg

15. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

16. benhanak

benhanak New Member

or maybe start like i did, super redhawk .44 magnum and go to a gp100 then to a single six..... guns are like beers, have to try them all! [​IMG]

17. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Who says a single action wouldn't be a good carry? :)

Attached Files:

18. conservative

conservative New Member

Greg- r Exactly the question I was going to ask . They are supposedly easier for a new shooter to learn . Only disadvantage I can see is that reloading is a bit more of a trick cause the cylinder does not swing out on most.(correct me if I'm wrong on that)

19. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yes you can carry a single action concealed.

In the beginning.... With barely enough money for ammo.... And low on firearms knowledge....

I rigged up a crude semi-cross draw 'belt loop' holster for my first gun, a 4.5/8" barrel Blackhawk.
    It took a very lose fitting shirt but it could be done. Only advantage, I could get to it while driving.

BTW, I do not recommend the barbaric system I used back then. Better systems are available.

These days I have a leather vertical shoulder holster for my 6.5" Blackhawk. (And more of course).
    It works but it's not a fast draw rig and you better find cover for reloading if you shoot all six.
    Because as noted you have to eject and load them one at a time. :eek: .... No swing out cylinder.

Attached Files:

20. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

When the GP100's first came out I bought 2 of them for $300.00 a piece which was new price. I had the 4" and 6". I kept them both until a buddy of mine talked me out of the 6" which I truly regret. I still have the 4" with the Hogue grips but I don't think I have put 100 rounds through it. As far as your question goes: it depends on what purpose you want the pistol for: home defense, plinking, bullseye shooting etc. I had a security six and that was a fine gun also. I also had the Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum and some of the Blackhawks. I don't think that you can find a bad Ruger pistol from my experience. I have not looked at pricing for quite a while so I can't give you an estimate of cost. Now I just shoot 9mm and .45 cal. and those are all RugerSR1911 (of which I have 4) so you can see how loyal I am to Ruger. Loyalty is built through trust and I trust any Ruger pistol.

Tommy