best ammo for LC9?

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by spikedriver, Feb 22, 2013.

1. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

My LC9 absolutely hates any bullets over 115 grains. 124s shoot around 6-10 inches at 25 feet (two handed slow aimed fire without a rest.) 147s sometimes will not group a whole mag under a foot. However even cheap 115 gr. loads like UMC jhp will group 3" or less. I'm using Federal Hi-shok for now, and have used Hornady CD, both group about 3-4". I'm concerned about the terminal performance of those loads. Which 115 do you guys prefer for terminal performance with decent accuracy?

2. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

My LC9 shoots about 4 inch groups at 25 feet with most any 115 gr. bullets and 124 gr. don't seem to be noticeably different. For CC use i carry Critical Defense, it performs flawlessly and is vary accurate.

3. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

I'm sure the intrinsic accuracy of the gun is far better than you state. Hard to be accurate with a small, light gun with a long DA style trigger pull. You just have to find what works best in your gun.

Try to find someone with a Ransom Rest to take shooter error out of the equation. If not, focus on a good trigger pull off of a decent bench rest or sand bags. Don

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

The 115 gr bullets are accurate, its just the heavier ones that don't group well. I would use the Hornady CD round but I've heard a lot of talk that it just isn't very consistent with regards to terminal performance. 115 Gold dots don't shoot well at all either, about 8 inch groups at 25 feet, or I would just use those.