Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there will be a lot of differing opinions, but what's your favorite? Not for a particular purpose, just your all around favorite.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll start with.....
.357 magnum.
It's versatile (.38)
Its powerful (deer)
It's fun (manageable recoil)
It's accurate.
It's not outrageously expensive (I can reload for as low as $8.50 a box)
I like the..357!

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
For me the best all around cartridge would come in this order

1. .22 cal round
2. .357 magnum (or 38 special if you wish)
3. .45 ACP (only because I load a lot of .45 ACP and it is my defense pistol
4. For rifle I would select 7mm Magnum. I have used this round on mulies and elk and found it to be very proficient.

Tommy

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Aside from 'questions of purpose', I think "all time" creates a distortion. In 1890 the debate would probably be between the 38 and 44 WCF cartridges and the .45 Colt. My favorite is either the .22 LR or the .44 Magnum.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I guess I would say the 22lr because it is inexpensive to shoot and it has taken more critters than any other caliber I have.
OOPS...you said revolver so I would say the 357/38 spl.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
45 Colt Wouldn't still be around after all this time if it wasn't. Loaded stiff will drop anything on this continent, loaded light can take small game and fun to shoot.:p

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
.357 Magnum without a doubt. To the handloader there is an endless supply of bullet types to chose from.

You can make wadcutter plinking loads that feel more like you're shooting a 22.
Or you can load magnums that you would swear will echo for two countys.
And you can load anything in between the two.
All in .357 cases.

For those that don't reload, factory 38 Spl ammo of various types can do nearly the same.
Yep .357 Mag, no doubt about it........

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I can load my favorite any way I want .

It is the most versatile caliber that I handload.
levels from poofy 45lc ...to...458 magnum..:cool:

It is the most fun of any caliber I handload.

My favorite caliber ....45-70 gov,

and yes they do make a revolver that shoots my favorite.:D and it is also fun.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I can load my favorite any way I want .

It is the most versatile caliber that I handload.
levels from poofy 45lc ...to...458 magnum..:cool:

It is the most fun of any caliber I handload.

My favorite caliber ....45-70 gov,

and yes they do make a revolver that shoots my favorite.:D and it is also fun.

Jim
Jim, you own a BFR in .45-70? I mighta known.

I've seen one fired Online - probably YouTube. The standard rifle cartridge factory load sends a lot of burning powder out the muzzle. So much, the guy said, that recoil isn't really all that bad.

:metal2:

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Jim, you own a BFR in .45-70? I mighta known.

I've seen one fired Online - probably YouTube. The standard rifle cartridge factory load sends a lot of burning powder out the muzzle. So much, the guy said, that recoil isn't really all that bad.

:metal2:
I do not own one yet, but I have a good friend that I shoot with , that has one, and your right, the recoil aint as bad as my CVA .50 cal BP, or my S&W 460 magnum.

The BFR 45-70 is top of my want list, (always looking for a bargain)..;)

Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
.357 Magnum without a doubt. To the handloader there is an endless supply of bullet types to chose from.

You can make wadcutter plinking loads that feel more like you're shooting a 22.
Or you can load magnums that you would swear will echo for two countys.
And you can load anything in between the two.
All in .357 cases.

For those that don't reload, factory 38 Spl ammo of various types can do nearly the same.
Yep .357 Mag, no doubt about it........
I keep mine loaded with +P HP 38's easier to control and a fine defensive load,
With a heavy magnum load you can put down anything you are good enough to put the lead in the right place. :D
Gabby

·
Banned
90 Posts
I know there will be a lot of differing opinions, but what's your favorite? Not for a particular purpose, just your all around favorite.
For me it's a toss-up between 357 Magnum, and 44 Magnum. Both are dual chamberings, both are powerful; and, with the proper training, you can learn to shoot a 357 Magnum, both, quickly and accurately.

If speed (rate-of-fire) isn't all that important to you, then, you can still learn how to shoot a 44 Magnum with outstanding accuracy and at considerable distance; but, from within my own personal experience, I'm going to say that genuinely shooting a 44 Magnum at typical (and, sometimes, necessary), 'combat speed' just ain't ever going to happen; and, especially, not if you want to remain accurate and do something like, 'shoot for group' which is a very necessary CQB pistol shooting skill!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 41-magnum. A bit heavier than the 357, and enough lighter recoiling than 44-mag to make it possible to shoot it enough to actually get accurate with it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts