Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old Timer
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ammo would you suggest for a 9 mm used for CCW? Brand, grain, type?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Hornady critical defense and Hornady critical duty are good. Speer gold dot is also good. Try a few and see what your gun likes.

·
Registered
992 Posts
How long is your barrel? Some types of bullet do better with barrels 4" or longer. I use Hornady Critical Defense. Sometimes I will use Winchester SXZ. Some people say that finding out what your local PD or Sheriff's office uses is a good starting point.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I did a short trial of Hornady Critical defense which was on my own with no scientific specifics behind it. It was completely on my own and shot a piece of 1/2" metal to see how the bullet mushroomed and how it looked after firing. I would say that 75% of the 6 rounds I shot were completely mushroomed with good bullet retention and I managed to find the plastic insert that is on the tip on the ground next to the target. Target had a nice light dent in it and the mushroomed bullets seemed to be consistant in their appearance. I didn't weigh the rounds although I should have. Didn't think of it at the time, but it convinced me that it is a good self defense round. I use the Critical Defense as my bullet choice of my EDC. I was shooting at 15 feet.

Tommy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts