Best 9 mm ammo

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Floorist, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

What ammo would you suggest for a 9 mm used for CCW? Brand, grain, type?

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Hornady critical defense and Hornady critical duty are good. Speer gold dot is also good. Try a few and see what your gun likes.

3. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

How long is your barrel? Some types of bullet do better with barrels 4" or longer. I use Hornady Critical Defense. Sometimes I will use Winchester SXZ. Some people say that finding out what your local PD or Sheriff's office uses is a good starting point.

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Federal HP HST of any bullet weight has had good reviews.

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I did a short trial of Hornady Critical defense which was on my own with no scientific specifics behind it. It was completely on my own and shot a piece of 1/2" metal to see how the bullet mushroomed and how it looked after firing. I would say that 75% of the 6 rounds I shot were completely mushroomed with good bullet retention and I managed to find the plastic insert that is on the tip on the ground next to the target. Target had a nice light dent in it and the mushroomed bullets seemed to be consistant in their appearance. I didn't weigh the rounds although I should have. Didn't think of it at the time, but it convinced me that it is a good self defense round. I use the Critical Defense as my bullet choice of my EDC. I was shooting at 15 feet.

Tommy

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  6. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Member

Speer gold dot, federal hst 124 gr or 124gr + P are my two top choices.