Best .45 1911 you can buy

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, May 26, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I was fooling around on the net and and was looking for the "best 1911 .45 cal" you can buy. Springfield came up, then Kimber, Remington and then the Les Baer's, Browns, and a few other fancy names I had never heard of before. Ruger wasn't even mentioned. For me, I think Ruger has done a good job on the SR1911 series. They have gone back to the 70 series style Colt used to make and at one time I had a 70 National Match which I stupidly sold. I am very satisfied with my Rugers, however I say this: the best handgun that you can buy is the one that YOU can handle the best! And as far as caliber: it's the one that you can handle should the need arise whether if be carry, conceal, or home or self defense. I keep my GP100 in my living room next to my easy chair and my .45's in my bedroom. What do you think??
    Tommy

2. hodge

hodge New Member

There are many levels of 1911's out there, depending on your budget. While I believe that you get what you pay for, sometimes a higher price just gets you a name, and sometimes a budget 1911 offers more than it costs. I'm not in to names- I am all about value and function. I've had a Sig Sauer 1911, and it was a lot of gun for the money. I paid less for my SR; I would say that the Sig felt more refined, but for me, the SR is a better value. If I had it to do over again, I would still buy the SR. That would include the decision to not buy other high end 1911's. I'm not impressed with Kimber, primarily because they only offer a 1 year warranty. For my tastes, they are also overpriced. I love the Ed Brown Kobra Karry, but I'd never buy one- I like a gun that I can afford to damage or lose.
    I see a parallel to sun glasses- whether they are $10 Panama Jack's or $200 Ray Ban's, they both do the same job. I can afford to sit on the Panama Jack's.

I'll say it again. I can afford to buy what I want (within reason), and I chose a Ruger SR1911.

3. Birddogyz

Birddogyz In the army now..

Dollar for dollar, the Springfield RO is the best bang for the buck. Slide to frame fit, National Match SS barrel and bushing, great trigger, up swept beaver tail and hammer up grade.

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

My RO Springfield 1911 is the most accurate handgun I own.
    I agree with BD on his description above.

As much as I love the RO, my next 1911 WILL BE an STI, just cant decide which model yet.

[​IMG]

Jim

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

High dollar doesn't always mean noticeable better quality. I had a Wilson Combat CQB compact and I was so afraid of scratching the dang thing I didn't shoot it much. I didn't shoot it any better than my Kimber Ultra Carry II. I sold it and made $100 to boot.
    From day one picking up my Kimber it has just felt perfect in my hand and it has an awesome trigger like most 1911 have. I don't see myself ever selling it.
    I have heard a lot of good said about the Springer RO.

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    Who are you trying to kid????? You know darn well that if another "great buy" came up, you would have your hands on your wallet so fast that the seller was thinking he was drawing against Wild Bill Hickok. You said you weren't going to spend any more high dollar money and then you run across a Python that you couldn't live without. You ain't fooling me Buster, you have an arsenal hid away and one day I am gonna come down and raid your place with my camera so I can see what a real arsenal looks like. I want to know whether should we be attacked, should I run to your house or Jim's. Probably Jim,s - he will have a bazooka by then..:cryinglaugh:

Tommy

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Hodge,
    I am afraid with my income I will have the Panama Jack's (if on sale) but one day I would sure like to have a high quality pistol. HOWEVER, my pistols are going to be fired. It's like having a Parker 20ga. side by side and just sit and look at in my gun case. There was a time I could afford to have a nice, nice pistol however the last 4 years has taken a toll on my check book due to my wife's health. I am not complaining for I am grateful for what I do have. We just play the cards that God deals to us and make the best of it. Besides, and I truly believe this, I don't think my shooting would be that much better with a high dollar weapon. These eyes and hands are getting old and gnarly and at times they shake, therefore I will be happy with my Rugers and hopefully one day, my son will appreciate them as much as I do. I do appreciate your thinking though, you have a lot of insight!!! My best to you always!
    Tommy

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,
    Send me the money and I will pick out the best one for you!! Scout's honor!!!!:cryinglaugh:
    Tommy

9. phideaux

Tommy,
    Im afraid you would have so much fun, you would end up in the hospital from letting your butt laugh off.

I really do want one of them.... ah....money.:rolleyes::(

Jim

10. buster40c

I was at an LGS and he handed me a Colt Gold Cup and said now shake it. Then he handed me an STI, not sure which model, and he said now shake it. The Colt rattled but the STI was tight as washed long johns. The STI was even a couple hundred less than the Colt.
    Actually I don't have that many guns anymore. I sold off the half or better that I didn't hardly shoot or care about. They were quality guns but I don't keep around what I don't use. Several were like new with only 100 rounds or less through them. Most of my guns now are revolvers.

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Ok Buster,
    Now which one did you buy or did you get both of them. Not being nosy, :cheesy: BUT I gotta know. You know it's hard to pass up a Gold Cup. I would give my left --- to have one again, even if it's noisy cuz I really enjoyed my National Match when I had it. Just send one over and BTW all those bullets you requested for your Python on in the mail!!!!
    Tommy

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Don't have one but..........

I got to handle LOADS of guns at the NRA meeting in Houston a few years ago.

Of all the 1911's I touched, the Kimber Super Carry Ultra+ really did it for me! That thing just fits my hand. Also would be small enough to carry concealed. A Kimber fan standing beside me said I needed a full size and not that lightweight.
    Don't know if he thought it was not durable enough or too hard to shoot accurately or what.

That gun's over my pay grade so I will never know.
    But I've been lusting for one ever since.

Oh yea. The question was, what's the best. I do not have a clue. Maybe it's the one you like best.

13. buster40c

Surprising but I didn't buy either one Tommy. I had bought so many by then my small safe was full.
    My Kimber was the second gun I bought. I bought it at a gun show for $799 and then I bought CT grips for $125 for it. I have $925 in it when one set up like it costs around $1150. When I picked up the gun I just had to have it and I really like the way it shoots. There are a few that think Kimbers suck but I like mine. I really think most 1911 are good guns and the best one is the one you like best.

14. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    Sure can't fault you for that. Sounds like a good buy to me as most of the Kimbers I looked at on the net run about $1100.00-1200.00. I felt the same way when I picked up my full size SR1911. It just felt right in my hands and I have long fingers so it's hard to find a gun I really like. I still would like to get a Vaquero although I don't it's gonna happen. I pretty much depleted my trading stock and the only long guns I have left have a lot of sentiment to them. Trouble with getting old, too old we get fast and too broke we get quick. Oh well, I just play the cards that God deals to me and am grateful for what I do have.
    Tommy

15. ScottyShooter

ScottyShooter New Member

phideaux
    I have the STI Ranger II in 9mm and it is one of my best shooting guns I own. When I first got it I had trouble with the magazine release sticking and I called STI and customer service gladly sent me a replacement. I know you pay a little more for them but I think mine is worth every penny. You won't be disappointed if you decide to get one.

16. buster40c

I have to laugh because so many already have one or more 1911 pistols but still looking what might be their next 1911. I tell you it is an addiction for sure. I should know as I have so many revolvers why do I keep looking at more. If I had a wife my addiction might have been cured a long time ago.

17. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    I don't think you can have too many 1911's. I presently have 4 and would like to have an old WWII 1911 but at the prices they are asking, it's way out of my budget. Besides, I have enough of them to keep me reloading for a long time. Reloading on a single stage and with my old Herters takes a lot of time. And now the cost of reloading is getting worse also. So I will keep what I got and just keep shooting away at paper targets.
    Tommy

18. buster40c

Today I was at the LGS picking up my Python and the salesman was showing a Rock Island 10 mm to a customer. I got talking to the salesman and he told me RI has been making and selling guns for a long time. He said FN had the factory in the Philippines during the war and after the war they just abandoned the factory which is how RI took it over. Interesting and true I guess.
    I asked to see it and it felt pretty good and trigger was way better than I expected. The finish was lackluster but heck that doesn't make the gun shoot any better. The price was $569 I think brand new. I have heard dang near all good about the RI guns.
    BTW I was totally surprised my Python was in better condition than I thought it was going to look. Oh and yeah the trigger is pretty awesome. I will go eat my beans for supper now. I will be eating beans so much I will be reported to the EPA for climate control damage footprint. I don't know what my foot print has to do with my a.... except sometimes my foot print is up my a....

19. phideaux

I have heard nothing but good about those RIA 1911s.

I dont know why I dont have one...:D:rolleyes::D

Maybe Ill walk in on one somewhere thats just beggin me to take it home.:)

Jim