best .22 ammo for my rifle

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by paulkalman, Apr 15, 2014.

1. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

Hi guys, I have a new model 60 Marlin.I mostly range shoot at 50 yards and am wondering what type ammo is best, the marlin has a 19" barrel with a 1:14 twist. any help appreciated.

2. mark

mark Member

paulkalman
    Unless you have a secret supplier at this point, you will have to do as the rest of are doing, buy and shoot what you can find. The last few weeks I have been having to shoot Winchester M-22s, as thats all I can find, thats sometimes. Its crap.
    Shooting it in a Ruger sp101 its got the chambers so dirty in way less than 200 rounds the shells will not seat well in the chambers, and become real hard to seat after a few more. More lead in the bore in a shorter time than any other shells I have ever shot. Leaded up the bore in a S&W k-22 in no time. Do seem to work OK in a Colt Woodsman, sort of. Dirty. Tried them in a Bearcat. Fouled the chambers in a hurry. Bad! Did shoot a few in a Browning 1911-22 and they wern't to bad. They for sure don't like revolvers.. May work in your Marlin.
    This is not a rant, its a warning.. I am not new at this, as I shoot 40,000 to 55,000 shells a year through 22 handguns a year. In my spare time I ride motorcycles..

3. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

hi Mark, it was more a question of velocity and bullet type than brand. I was reading an article on length of barrel and twist having the biggest effect on accuracy and was wondering what the right combination for this would be. I would pay even 25 or more cents per round to find out hoping that some day soon ammo supplies would return to normal. Here on the west coast, .22lr seems even harder to get (at least on the forums) than east of the Rockies. sorry I touched a nerve

4. mark

mark Member

paulkalman.
    You didn't touch a nerve. Not one bit. I am just a bit upset about the 22 ammo situation, hard to find, and a lot of poor QC. Thanks in a large part to the hoarders and the scalpers people like you can't enjoy a great day of shooting. I get enough ammo to keep shooting, but I work at it like its a job. I see people looking for ammo that don't hardly ever shoot, but the want it because they see scalper prices, and it makes them want to hoard some..

5. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

The .22s are picky about ammo. I have found the Marlin autos to be not as bad about feeding various brands. When you can find an assortment of ammo brands, try them in your rifle and see what works best. Some are dirty some not. I keep some of everything around to try in different guns I get used. Don't buy many new ones, but the same rules apply for testing ammo brands.

6. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I have shot a lot of different brands of 22 ammo. For target shooting , Federal Auto Match is awesome. From stuff I have read, under 50 yards bulk 22 ammo and match grade ammo are pretty close. 50 yards and over is where match grade ammo shines. Eley ammo is another great target ammo.....but very pricy. For the money its hard to beat Federal Auto Match......

7. Misty1946

Misty1946 New Member

Finally got out to the range several different brands of 22 ammo ,I horded up all winter
    Used about 200 rounds through my new Ruger muddy girl not one problem fired great, same with revolver ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1398475305.163112.jpg

8. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

other than being insanely jealous of your stash, I got my hands on a little remington today and found out for myself what I don't want to use again. What a freaking mess it made of my model 60. It took 3 times as long to get it back where I wanted it. The only other rounds I have been able to get my hands on are blazers and Im going right back to them. good luck good shooting.

9. Misty1946

Misty1946 New Member

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1398482601.611623.jpg

I got a few of them also have to go past gun shop everyday to drop grand kids off at school so pick up my 2 a day limit I have 10-25 round mags that work in my takedown and the muddy girl it don't take long to run through the ammo. Lol. Love both Rugers would not take my money back for them

10. Misty1946

Misty1946 New Member

It's not the customers taking advantage of the 22 ammo used to get blazer 50 rounds in a box $4.00
    Now the same gun shop is selling bulk ammo for the same $4.00 in a ziplock bag. Lol it must be honest the local police run the gun shop ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1398717557.946429.jpg
    I'll still get my limit everyday 4/25 round mags a day is better than none

11. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

baggies of bullets, woo hoo! I would gladly take them in cling wrap if only there were some around at that price.

12. Misty1946

Misty1946 New Member

Don't bother me a bit as long as I can get it I can get 2 bags a day only takes a week to save enough for 1/2 hour at the range if I go slow. Lol

13. DaveDawg

DaveDawg New Member

I shoot a Browning Buckmark , Beretta and a Smith and Wesson 22A1 pistols. All fire well so far with the Remington Golden Bullets and of course the CCI mini mags and stingers. Wolf .22 was crap in the rifles. Someone gave me a couple of hundred of rounds to test and I've thrown most of them away. I had a Sig Mosquito and if fired the minimags great . But that pistol was designed to use the minimags. Haven't tried my 10/22 out yet so I will post how they work in that. All around I think the minimags are the absolute best but as previously listed above ,the hoarders and scalpers are making them hard to find and expensive to buy.

14. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Years ago we used to buy Winchester Wildcats and one of my old boxes (brick of 500) still had the price tag on it and it was $7.95. I have another brick that is marked $9.95. I used to and still do on rare occasions shoot my Remington 541S and it would digest the Wildcats without any problems. I tried the Remington hyper-velocity and it was so sporadic that I got rid of the rest of them. I know some of my ammo is old but the Wildcats still have the gel on them so I am not afraid to still shoot them. I was recently (about a month ago) and some hacker had .22 cal shells for sale for $80.00 for a 500 round brick. Personally I don't think the price of .22's are ever going to be cheap again. Hope he has to eat them.
    Tommy