Beretta CX4

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by greg_r, Sep 15, 2018.

1. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I like my Ruger American Pistols. Like them a lot. Planning on a PC9 to go with them.

I have been shooting a pair of Beretta PX4's lately. I think they are ugly, but i am really liking shooting them. Thinking about buying them, both a duty size and a sub compact, along with a CX4 to satisfy my carbine wants.

The only thing about the Beretta pistols I dont like, other than the looks, is the slide mounted safety. I will replace them with the "G" conversion if I do get them. Turn them into decockers only.

I will need to trade or sell my Ruger Americans to help fund them. Tough decision.

Pancho_Villa and rugertoter like this.
  2. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Are you sure you want to sell off the Americans, just to get the PX4's? I am a huge Beretta fan, and have shot my friends full size PX4, but I sure would not to want to carry it around...be like carrying one of my 92's...super fat carry.

It's easy to be lured by the charms of pistol, but in the end, I usually end up regretting getting rid of a good one for another good one.

3. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

A few things i like in a gun for social work. Primarily I will not have one with a manual safety. I also like DAO. And I do not like a magazine disconnect. Sounds like a revolver dosent it ?
    actually it is, or at least was for a very long time.

In a target or hunting gun I like a single action. My favorites are the 1911, MKII, the Single-6, and Blackhawk / Super Blackhawk.

Actually my preferred EDC is the KAHR. DAO and no safety, or the LCR. Although I have been carrying a Beretta 85FS lately.

The American pistol is sort of a hybrid for me, a cross between my hunting and social prefrences. Single action without a manual safety. I do like mine, but it did take a while for me to get used to single action not being locked. Dont know if I am really 100% comfortable yet.

The PX4 with the low profile G decocker only would also be a compromise. Load it, decock it, and then double action with the compromise being the single action follow up shots.

I dont know what I am going to do. I am going to spend some range time with both the American Pistol and the PX4. I feel kind of like my mother in law is driving off a cliff in my new cadillac. Oh yeah......Oh no.....Oh yeah......Oh no.....

rugertoter likes this.
  4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Beretta?
    One year warranty...

Ruger, Sig, Springfield, etc ?
    Lifetime warranty...

Nuff said.

rugertoter and RussD like this.
  5. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Didn't know about the 1 year warranty. Big negative.

6. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Hmmm...didn't know that either.

7. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

its a deal breaker. Ruger rebuilt my MKII and it was nearly 30 yeasrs old. I do like my Rugers anyways.

rugertoter likes this.
  8. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Yeah, me too. It's not like I am going to abandon a firearms maker, just because they change their warranty policies. Now, if they start changing their quality...that's a different story.

9. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

The real reason I was thinking about getting rid of my Ruger American and replacing it with the Beretta was this.

One of our local police departments is thinking about replacing their GLOCK 45's with the RAP 45. I was talking with one of the officers about why they were still carrying GLOCKs and was told that the Ruger American magazines would come apart when they were dropped.

I decided last night to sacrifice a magazine to test it. I dropped a magazine from shoulder height several times. No problems.

I loaded the magazine with 12 rounds, my RAPc is 9mm, and dropped it several times from shoulder height several times. No problems. The snap caps would move forward in the magazine, as expected, but none even came out. A quick slap of the back of the magazine to the hand would reset the cartridges.

I then tossed the magazines to the ceiling and let them drop to the floor. No problems.

I am going to declare the magazines good to go. At least the 9mm 12 round mags. I dropped the magazine empty from shoulder height 6 times, loaded 6 times, and tossed the loaded ones 6 times. They landed on a laminate wood floor. I am satisfied.

rugertoter likes this.
  10. DParker

DParker Active Member

It sounds like the S&W M&P9 I've been carrying daily for the past 8.5 years.

11. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I like the S&W. Carried a Shield for a bit. My preference in a carry gun is Kahr.

I own the Rugers basically just to have them.

rugertoter likes this.
  12. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Nothing wrong with Kahrs. I have a TP9, and it has never failed me...I like the "dot the I" sight picture.