Beginner needs advice

Discussion in 'Canada & International' started by budsfanatic, Mar 21, 2015.

1. budsfanatic

budsfanatic New Member

A friend of mine recently took an early retirement from the Canadian Armed Forces. He's asked me several times to get certified so I can go to the range with him. I've decided to take the plunge.
    I've been researching 9mm (cheaper ammo) pistols and have decided on either the SR9 or the 9E. The biggest difference I read about is the material used for the slide, the 9E being carbon steel.
    I would appreciate any input the more experienced shooters may have. Will this make much difference???? What about wear ??

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Carbon steel is just god ol' gun steel. It has no special wear characteristic. I am prejudiced against striker-fired handguns, so wouldn't buy either of them. If you are a new shooter, a hammer-fired gun provides both a 'visual aid' and valuable experience re the thumb safety.

I hope you get some non-prejudiced input. There are a lot of people out there shooting striker-fired handguns.

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

iI have both striker fired pistols and hammer struck. Glock and Rugers are what I use for range and CCW. I have to admit that I am
    subject to being biased. I would rather have the Rugers than the Glock. Don't get me wrong, the Glock is a fine pistol and many of them are being sold, however for trigger control, accuracy and general handling, I am much more comfortable with the Rugers. Just MHO is all!
    Tommy

4. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Either will serve you well. Striker-fired handguns make fine firearms for beginners. Good luck, stay safe and have fun!