Before I shoot GP100 for the first time???

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by Buddha1950, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Buddha1950

Buddha1950 New Member

Just picked up my birthday present last night - GP100 4inch Stainless .357. Read the manual and did a basic cleaning (bore, cylinders, etc) Manual was unclear on lubrication requirements.

Any suggestions on normal lubrication after basic cleaning?

Also, should I do a complete disassemble/reassemble before first shooting or leave to another time after I have some trigger time.

Any tips/hints on normal maintenance would also be appreciated.

2. ScottyShooter

ScottyShooter New Member

Hey Buddha, saw your post, I just picked up my GP100 Blue .357 today. I think I will do what you did and then take it to the range tomorrow. It really doesn't look too bad out of the box, am just going to try .38 ammo first, see what happens. My first revolver bigger than .22(LCR) really looking forward to trying it out. Congrats on yours. Scotty

3. BamaFan

BamaFan New Member

Congratulations (both) of you on your GP100's they arw fine pistol's and built like a tank, you could have just pulled it out of the box, admired it loaded it and shot it wiped it down and put it away and it will ve fine BUT I myself am not like that and clean every gun before I shoot and after I shoot it whether it's 10 bullets or 300 bullets. Especially lead in my revolvers. Lubrication points on mine is mainly on the ejection rod and then i just have a separate cloth that has oil on it I use once I am done cleaning it that I go over it with before I put it away. Post some pictures and a range report!

Attached Files:

4. BamaBrad

BamaBrad New Member

Also something you may or may not want to or end up doing is replacing the front sight. I installed a fiber optic sight on mine and it made a big difference. Couldn't be happier!

5. ScottyShooter

ScottyShooter New Member

Will do, thanks BamaBrad,,,, Roll Tide

Scotty

6. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

While I have a version of the Hogue grip that is on the GP100 on my S&W .500 mags where they work very well, I don't like them on the GP100.

I bought a set of the original style with the wooden grip panels. For me it works much better, perhaps you might want to give it a try. I also think the gun looks vastly better with the original grip. Looks humpbacked and chunky to me with the Hogues.

An earlier poster recommended a fiber optic sight. That's a good option, if you don't want that, Ruger offers a set of plastic inserts in a variety of colors for the front sight.

GP100s are nice guns. Don

7. BamaBrad

BamaBrad New Member

As Don said the houge grips are chunky on these guns and the wood insert grips are (to me) nicer looking I wished they still left the factory with them. I had a set of houge "lamo camo" grips for mine but unfortunately got the email (3 weeks after I paid for them) that they were not in stock and would not be in stock for months, but dang they sure are pretty.

RTR!!!

8. ScottyShooter

ScottyShooter New Member

Fresh back from the range. This is probably my 3rd reload after getting the feel of this gun. Shot SA with .38sp 130 gr FMJ Estate cartridge ammo at 10 yds. Tried some .357 ammo also later to get the feel , recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it would be thanks to the 4in barrel.

Attached Files:

9. BamaBrad

BamaBrad New Member

That's great Scotty, good shootin! Thanks for the range report. I don't think mine has eatin any 38spcl yet but it handles the 357 mags very well.

10. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I've been seriously thinking of the fiber optic.

I painted the backside of my front sight with white "fishing lure" enamel and that is a definite improvement, but the red or green fiber optic would be even better I think......

How does the front site come off? Is the "hole" in the front just a spring loaded pin or something? I haven't researched removal and replacement so was curious.

11. BamaBrad

BamaBrad New Member

Yes that is correct it is held in by pressure from a spring and all you do is depress it and pull out the sight and just "drop in" the new one, I really do love it. Big improvement. Here is a couple pictures of what mine looks like with it.

Attached Files:

12. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

Thanks for the pics BB....Really looks good on the gun. I'm gonna pick one up.:D

13. BamaBrad

BamaBrad New Member

You won't be disappointed. They come with 5 different colored pipes as well, so there is sure to be one to fit your needs.

14. ScottyShooter

ScottyShooter New Member

After looking at yours I went ahead and ordered new HiViz sights for mine too. Noticed while at the range Monday the black site is hard to focus on.

15. BamaBrad

BamaBrad New Member

Good deal! Post up some pictures with which colored pipes you decide to go with. I believe it will make a big difference and you will really enjoy it. It's a very easy install.

16. ScottyShooter

ScottyShooter New Member

Finally got my new sights, decided to go with the red one.

Attached Files:

17. BamaBrad

BamaBrad New Member

Looks good! Hope you enjoy it.

18. 30hott_six

30hott_six New Member

Great gun. Very accurate and very little kick. I love my GP100