Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
probably a stupid question, but will an bearcat old model shoot long rifle & shorts? barrel says .22 cal. Just making sure don't want to ruin it.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Welcome to RugerTalk,,

Never owned a Bearcat, so I cant say.

Hopefully someone has an answer.

Jim

·
Registered
547 Posts
I had a four digit one, unfortunately sold it many years ago and I shot long rifles in it. I'm sure shots would work, just clean cylinders.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, you can shoot shorts, and longs, and long rifles.
If you shoot more than a few shorts, clean the chambers good with a bore brush before shooting he longer 22s.
You can't shoot 22 mags in your Bearcat, but the other 22s will all work.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Found this....

AMMUNITION
The RUGER® NEW BEARCAT® revolvers are chambered for the 22 Long Rifle Cartridge, 22 Short, 22 Long and 22 CB caps can also be fired in the Long Rifle cylinder.

Do not attempt to fire .22 magnum.

as has been mentioned , a good cyl chamber cleaning before shooting LR is necessary.

Jim

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Found this....

AMMUNITION
The RUGER® NEW BEARCAT® revolvers are chambered for the 22 Long Rifle Cartridge, 22 Short, 22 Long and 22 CB caps can also be fired in the Long Rifle cylinder.

Do not attempt to fire .22 magnum.

as has been mentioned , a good cyl chamber cleaning before shooting LR is necessary.

Jim
Jim,
If you have an old Bearcat you need to clean it, show us a photo and put it back in the museum after you fire a box of shells. A lot of people don't even remember the Bearcat.
Tommy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks again for replys. Will do on cleaning chambers. Im using the gun for trapping, the shorts I believe will do less damage. thanks again Great forum.

·
Registered
100 Posts
First new handgun was a Bearcat. Was 1966. Have old ones, and newer ones and like then all.
You can now buy a Bearcat with adjustable sights. Waited for years for that to happen. Bought first one I saw. Love it.

Ruger did make a run of Bearcats with both cylinders 22/22Mag like the single sixes. Recalled them because they thought there was a problem shooting 22 mags. They kept the mag cylinders. The ones that didn't get sent back in are now worth a lot more money, I missed that boat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts