balloon hunting hogs

Discussion in 'Hunting Experiences' started by buster40c, May 25, 2017.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

That sounds like a lot of "hot air" to me Buster!!!!

Yank***************yank******************yank!!

Tommy

3. buster40c

Oh that was so bad it went over like a lead balloon.

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

There are practical aspects of 'ballooning' that could make it difficult to collect the harvest. If this means 'shoot 'em and leave 'em', I'm agin it. Marie Antoinette was falsely rumored to have said "Let them eat cake." I say "Let them eat pork."

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Feral hogs are a Very, very big problem in this part of Texas, and it's getting worse every day.
    That's why Texas made it legal to shoot 'em from helicopters... but the hogs learn fast.
    They take cover when they hear a helicopter. The logic is we could sneak up on them in a balloon.

Many are kinda 'on the fence' over shoot 'em and leave 'em but they're sooo destructive it's necessary.
    Ranchers lose grazing, farmers lose crops, cars get totaled out on the road when a big hog runs out.
    They're everywhere!

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Obviously, I am commenting from the Frozen North where feral pigs don't live. So I may be out of line when I suggest that organized 'harvests' which collect the carcasses for butchering are at least a possibility. It's such a waste of protein.

7. buster40c

Many of the older large hogs their meat is not good to eat. I have eaten piglets and they really didn't have much taste. When field cleaning you have to be very careful and wear protective clothing because they can carry some nasty diseases. Besides that the vultures will do away with a hog in a matter of days. Not to mention the other wild critters that will feast on it. I saw a really big goat that got hit by a car and there wasn't even a bone left in 2 days. Don't take a nap out in the field because the vultures just might devour you. If you have ever seen how a vulture eats an armadillo or many animals you will not sleep with your hind end up in the air.
    The county next to me I believe pays $5 bounty per hog ear.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  8. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

:cheesy:

Tommy's back at it again!

9. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like Ky's deer problem.

It's out of control .

Jim

10. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Alabama has the same problem with deer. Unsuspectingly last year the season was lengthened two weeks. This year it was lengthened 15 days. That gives from October first to January fifteenth.

11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

There's a disease problem lurking there. When beasties get too thick on the ground, disease spreads easily. Varying Hares have a (Tularemia?) cycle alternating between overcrowding and disease outbreaks that reduce their populations drastically. Wondering if Wasting Disease or some other affliction can cause that phenomenon in deer.

12. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Welcome to Texas!