Attended My first Black Friday Sale

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rjtmac, Nov 28, 2015.

1. rjtmac

rjtmac Texan by Birth • Grace

Went to my first Black Friday Sale yesterday. I have avoided them for years like the plague because of all of the horror stories about crowds, early hours and stores only having 1 or 2 of the big draw really discounted items ... but Cabelas had two items I was really interested in on their Black Friday Door Buster Deals sale.

Ruger 10/22 Black Synthetic Rifles ($189.99 ... $60.00 off) and a Heritage Arms Rough Rider Revolver .22lr Single Action Pistol ($99.00 ... $80.00 off). Potential Christmas presents.

They opened at 5:00 a.m. So my wife's cousin and I crawled out of our warm beds and trekked out into the 26° cold and freezing rain at 3:15 a.m. and drove the 55 miles to our local Cabelas Store. Arriving at 4:30 we observed a completely full parking lot. Tents up in front of the store and a line that was 3 and 4 people across and that line extended around the corner of the building and extended to the back of the store. We learned while in line waiting outside people had been there since 5:00 Thursday afternoon and spent the night in the tents we saw. Lots of people had shown up between 1:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m.

Mass amounts of discouragement took over. I had contacted the store on Wednesday to check and verify models. I also inquired as to how many they had on hand because the advertising flyer said "While Supplies Last". They had 32 of the 10/22's and 21 of the Heritage .22 pistols. Of course no reserving early.

So with so many people already there both of us felt there was no possible way any of the guns would be left. We pulled in, parked, grabbed our cold gear and took our place in the back of the line anyway. Waited 30 minutes outside in the sub freezing temperature, the rain and wind. When they opened and we worked our way through the front door there was hardly room to walk among all the people. We headed to the gun counter and took positions on opposite ends. Our plans were to order for each other which ever one of us got served first.

Ater about 20-30 minutes David got waited on. He asked for 16 of the Rough Riders and 8 of the 10/22's. No such luck. We wound up with the 12 pistols they had left and the last 4 10/22's. We really couldn't believe our luck. Not what we had come for but way better than the emptied handed we had resolved ourselves to when seeing the crowd.

While we were in store waiting at the gun counter the store lost electricity. Main power was down way over an hour. Had emergency lighting. Cash registers had to be restarted and that took a while. We had to fill out paper work with phone flash lights while standing in line to check out. Was in the check out line for 3+ hours (employees were completing background checks before letting each customer leave the 2 registers they were using for gun checkouts) - . Entered the store at 5:05 and left the store at 9:45. So all in all it in was 6 hour and 40 minute shopping trip. We had thought we would be in and out by 6:30 at the latest. ... LOL .... Saved $1200.00. Works out to around $180.00 per hour time invested.

I had wanted 12 pistols and 2 rifles. David wanted 4 pistols and 6 Rifles. So we compromised. I got the 12 pistols and he got the Rifles. We were really lucky.

So I got my Christmas shopping done for the daughters, son in laws and grandkids all in one place and a great price.

My first and LAST Black Friday experience. Got great deals and saved a ton of money but just not worth it fighting that crowd and hassle. Really did have a good time visiting with everyone in the lines waiting and that was a plus.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  2. hodge

hodge New Member

I need to say honestly- if I had waited in line, and someone ahead of me bought that many guns, I'd be ticked. With a sale and so many people, there should be limits.

3. rjtmac

Understood. One lady just in front of us took 4 rifles and one guy got 10.

Saw one group of 5 of the pistols to one guy and 3 to a lady who was just beside me at the counter.

They really didn't have a line for order of purchase, just walk up to the counter where ever.

We were just lucky in the time we got waited on. I took only what I needed for Christmas presents. Wouldn't have bought any more even if they were available. David did the same.

There were 3 people who were rather upset. One guy said he was there at 11:00 the night before to be in line. He walked around for 30 minutes after the store opened before he came to the counter. He failed to read the well displayed disclaimer on the ad ... WHILE SUPPLIES LAST ... He yelled at one of the counter workers about misrepresentation and crappy sales techniques. I wanted to tell him he needed to read a little more carefully.

I left without rifles and David left without pistols. We just weren't in line and waited on in time to get all of what we wanted. I would have been disappointed if we had gotten nothing. We made our effort to get there at what we thought was early enough but it wasn't. I saw multi-gun purchases that could have kept me from getting any guns but that would have been the luck of the draw.

It turned out one guy was a relative of Davids. Another was a guy I knew and I talked to him as we were waiting to check out.

The store imposed no limits, we went by the rules and waited our turn so I really don't feel bad about our purchases. It could have just as well been us that left with nothing.

:rolleyes: :rotate: I guess I am just a stone cold shopper. :rotate: :rolleyes: All done in the Christmas spirit of hunting and acquiring gifts.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I had that happen to me at Bass Pro in Mesa, Az. They had 6 1# cans of Bullseye pistol powder priced @ $49.00 per can which is a bargain here because no one can get any powder. I was standing there and holding a can of it and thinking about buying just 1 can. I put it on the shelf and talked to a guy who happened to come down from Flagstaff, Az. He asked me if I was going to buy it. Told him I was thinking about it. He kind of gave me a light push and he and his wife took ALL 6 cans without saying a word. Now the store could have limited the amount you could buy but Bass Pro is not noted for having any kind of policy about amounts of anything. Whom ever can push there way through can take all they want. I can honestly say that now I will never shop at Bass Pro again!

Tommy

5. rjtmac

So am I perceiving from this if you need 12 items for 12 presents you are a bad person for buying 12.

I also gather you are supposed to buy 1, be 11 shy of what you need and make yourself have to look all over to find more and pay about 45% more for each item IF you can find them. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

If I would have come away from this with no purchases I sure wouldn't blame Cabelas or their customers.
    1. Cabelas had so many guns to sell.
    2. They were highly discounted
    3. They had no limit on number to be purchased.
    4. They were to be sold first come first served.
    5. They had a finite number to be sold. (WHILE SUPPLIES LAST)
    6. The guns were there to be sold with no restrictions on who bought them or how many
    How are you supposed to handle a situation like this to be politically, ethically and morally correct ?

6. hodge

hodge New Member

Courtesy trumps need, in my opinion. Ordering online, or purchasing from a retailer at some other time besides Black Friday, etc.- it is acceptable to buy in such bulk. But, when so many people are after the same thing you are, it isn't right to hog it. That is the time to have restraint- to treat others the way you want to be treated.
    Simply put, for you to get what you got, many other people were denied. If you had gotten what you wanted, even more would have walked away empty handed. Obviously, you disagree, and I do respect your opinion. But, you asked, so I am sharing mine.
    Again, I do respect you. I know that people look at things differently, and that few things in life are black and white.

7. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

So, if there were only two left, would it have been ok to buy them both? How about just one, should he leave that one for a more "deserving " buyer? Each item was purchased as a gift for someone in his family, he wasn't planning on hoarding them.
    The only reason so many people were after the same thing was because they were cheaper than normal. Those people that missed out are certainly free to purchase them somewhere else perhaps at a higher price, just as he would be if he walked away.
    In my opinion, as long as you're not hoarding an item for the purpose of excluding others from obtaining it so you can profit from it, go for it.

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I thought about going to a Walmart and buying a TV but decided the black Friday thing was just filled with rude people even to the point of being arrested. I only did a black Friday thing once. I went straight to what I wanted and loaded it on the cart and was out of there. Yes the line went all the way down the shopping center before the doors opened. Would I wait outside or camp out for day to get in first? Oh heck no!
    I see your buying what you needed for presents and that's just to bad for the others because you didn't break any rules. Yea if I was behind you I would be pissed if I had been in line for what you bought out, but oh well sometimes the last cookie gets grabbed up before I can grab it.
    I hope your Heritage revolvers turn out good. I bought a 22lr/22lrmagnum and it shot 4" low and right. Had to bend the snot out of the front blade.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  9. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

If ya snooze ya lose.

10. rjtmac

I will say the Cabelas crowd was very good. Never saw any instance of confrontation or argument. As I stated there was a lot of gun talk ... covering manufactures, caliber comparisons, ammo talk and the general BS of 3 hours of visiting.

The crowd where we were doing our purchasing was a positive to the whole experience...

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Dang Tommy, a few weeks ago I bought two pounds of HP38 from a small local shop for $22.80 per. They had a bunch of it, no Bullseye though.
    Bass Pro is OVER CHARGING!!! It's better if you don't give your money to those types anyway.
    Hang in there, I'm sure powder will become available from some decent sellers soon.

Our Bass Pro sent out a flyer for black Friday advertising Win 22LR 500 count bricks for $34.95 if memory serves correct.
    I'm not about to wait in line to pay ten bucks too much for 22 ammo. I'll let somebody else pay for that fancy store.

12. rjtmac

That little purchasing move instead of buying directly from Cabela's would cost me an extra $20.00 - $30.00 per gun in FFL fees even if I could have bought them at the same price. Of course online purchasing would have saved me sales tax of right at $ 8.00 per gun.

Even figuring in the sales tax vs the online purchase the $144 - $264 saving will pay the engraving cost for the guns.

Unfortunately I do not have unlimited funds and have to be practical in my expenditures. If I had unlimited funds I can say without a doubt the guns would have been purchased close to a month before the Black Friday date somewhere and I would have slept right through the whole experience.

Also if I had unlimited funds the guns would most likely have been branded Colt, S&W or Ruger. LOL

Norma USA Match 22LR Ammunition and Norma Tac-22 - 500 count bricks were available during the sale. $84.99 and $104.99 per brick. Can't remember which price went with which ammo. That stuff has been there for 2 weeks. Nobody is touching it.