Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to 2 gunshows in the last 2 weeks. Walked one in San Antonio for half a day. It was really kinda slow. Lotta people, not much trading. Had a table at the Corpus Christi show. Kinda slow too. Gues the gun ban buying frenzy from last year is over. All I got on my stuff was low ball offers, like I always give. Lotta guys walking in with high dollar guns like Kinbers, Glocks, Sigs and even saw a few Colt .45 autos. Guess they were selling safe queens for the tax free weekend sales. That didn't help any either. Not much Wally world stuff coming in like usual. I can do o.k. on those.

Anyway, I finally got a guy on Sat. with a large rifle case full of odd AR parts, Contender barrels, optics, an old,, but like new H&R .22 break topreovlever in nickle finish, and a broke azz Armscor M1600 .22 rifle. Kinda an AR looking thing that is made in the Phillipines. Had afew and they worked well. The guns were originally used by Phillipine resistance fighters and were made in open bolt full atuto. these guns were impported by Squires Bingham/Armscor as the M-1600, an AR look alike. Also make in a folder and in a hunting rifle config. The ones I had wer very reliable and accurate. Apparently there were a few lemons. This guy said it worked once and locked up. He wanted 50 for it and 2 bills for the litle revolver. I told him to get real and take a bill for the revo and 25 bucks for the rifle. He responded with 150 for both. Told him if he kicked in somethng else. He tried a resty Conteder barrel, but I don't do Contenders anymore. So, I piced the AR-10 upper. He ws o.k. with that.

Got a pic of the broke azz rifel here. It is like new cause he said it was in a closet since the eaerly 90s. Guess it has a broke or jammed trigger assembley cuase the bolt works. Trigger is locked up. And got a pic of the AR receiver. No pic of the H&R .22. It was like new and a friend decided he wanted it bad enough to give 2 for it. So, now I have a broke azz .22 rifle to tinker with and an AR-10 upper receiver that I don't know what to do with. Guess I can become an AR assembler as I call them. But I am too lazy and hate to wait. Maybe sell it or use it for a paper weitht. It is a bit old school, an A2 type. An AR parts dealver verified it was a DPMS like the guy said. Maybe worth as much as a bill if someone really wanted it. It's o.k. anyway. I got it and the rifle for less than nothing.

The AR-10 paperweight. It' appears to be in great shape.

Guess I could try assembling a rifle, but I already have an H&K clone in .308 that I can't afford to feed.

Oh yeah, Scored some .22 ammo. Haven''t seen any around here at Wally World in over a year. Got this off a guy that came 200 miles to sell some ammo he hoarded. He found that lealers were selling bricks for 60 bucks and he had been getting more last year. So he was down to 50 bucks and selling nothing. I offered him30 for one brick. He said o.k. if I bought 2. I could live with that. Didn't need that much cause I still have 2 bricks stashed. But what the hell. More is better.

Should have bought the other 2 bricks too, but didn't. Sent my buddy back to get it and he had already sold the other 2.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Hey Pancho,
been wondering where you been hiding.;)

Dont ya know we boys need those project guns to keep us outta trouble.
Tha Armscor will probly make you some decent pocket money, once you pull the trigger assy, unjam it lube it and put it back.:)

Keep me entertained ,by letting us know just how easy fix it was.

Yeah, the days of 3,4,5 times their money on them bricks may now be only 2 times.
I remember those Feds at $15.95 , not too long ago.

Jim

·
Registered
118 Posts
Been buying those bricks of Federals at my local gun shop all this month for 30.00 each.They have been putting out 100 boxes a day and they are doing it for the whole month of August only problem is you are only allowed 1 box per household.So it gives me an excuse to go their more.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Pancho,
been wondering where you been hiding.;)

Dont ya know we boys need those project guns to keep us outta trouble.
Tha Armscor will probly make you some decent pocket money, once you pull the trigger assy, unjam it lube it and put it back.:)

Keep me entertained ,by letting us know just how easy fix it was.

Yeah, the days of 3,4,5 times their money on them bricks may now be only 2 times.
I remember those Feds at $15.95 , not too long ago.

Jim
Got a chance to really look at it last night. It appear that the Firing pin/sear contact is not right. Bolt will not clear the trigger when the firing pin is installed. It just stops @ a half inch from full battery. When the firing pin is removed, the bolt goes all the way in. I will either have to give the trigger a little more slack so the firing pin will release and not drag on it or grind a bit off the bottom of the firing pin. If I grind the pin, I might take off too much and it will not lock back when the bolt is racked. The other way, I will have to pull the whole trigger assembly and a bunch of pins & springs in there.

Time to think a bit on it and find a diagram. Proably in a firearms assembly book I have buried somewhere. It's getting hard as hell to see all the moving parts in there now.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Been buying those bricks of Federals at my local gun shop all this month for 30.00 each.They have been putting out 100 boxes a day and they are doing it for the whole month of August only problem is you are only allowed 1 box per household.So it gives me an excuse to go their more.
There has not been any .22 ammo at the local or area Wally Worlds here for a year. when they did get some, only a few small 50 round boxes. Hadn't seen a brick there for over a year, except the overpriced ones at gunshows.

And there ain't no gunshops around here. Me and a few others would be the only ones that would have ammo and I don't sell it. Had a buddy call for some .22s a week ago and I promised hime a couple of boxes cause we always swap stuff. Can do it now that I got some more.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the solutuon to getting more slack between the sear and firing pin of the Armscor. The firing pin has an overtravel/stop pn that does not do much for the gun. So I just took it out and it gave me the slack I needed. Fired and ejected when it did feed. Now I need to solve the mag feed lip angle problem. Also has alot of slack in the mag well. Been there and done that before.

·
Special Dance Instructor
924 Posts
Sounds like a good "project" gun for the price you paid.
Looks a bit like an M16A2.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O.k. Got'er done. Bolt is working correctly. Tweaked the mag feed lips until the bullets fed at the right angle. The bolt had been riding over rounds and bending hem in half. Bolt would close almost all the way. Closer inspection indicated that the case rims we hitting the firing pin tip on the way up the bolt face. So, apparently the disconnector was not resetting the sear while the trigger was in the "pulled" position. A few tries with the tigger pulled and no ammo in the gun verified that the striker/firing pin was following the bolt down. Not a good thng. It was cocking with the trigger released. Got the old trigger stop pin and Thinned one side of it with my dremel tool. Installed it with the thin side to the trigger. It was just enough so the disconnecor would reset with the trigger pulled.

Worked perfectly. Fired @ 25 rounds through it and not a single jam!!!!!

Next thing was to take the carry handle off. The receiver has a goove for a .22 tip off scope rings. Here is the result. Used some high "see through" rights to get the scope high enough to eye lever. A pic of the gun below a comparson pic to a Mossy 715T that is a nice shooter.

A 10 shot group I fired after a half azz zero in the blazing heat outside. I was seating in the shade. Just the old Fed bulk pack stuff. and off a bench. No bags. Fine tune it later when it cools off. @ 25 yds. No sandbags. Hot as hell. Not a great triffer too.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Pancho,
I like it.

You will make good pocket money on that one.

Glad you got her up and going.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As you can see, Pancho "El Cheapo" is still using the standard 18" pizza boxes for targets. That was my last one. Gotta go get some more pizza.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Yeah I noticed its an 18 inch one.

Yall must love pizza.....18" ? or ya got trouble seeing...:D

Try the 6" personal size.....oh never mind ....I remember your bad eyesight.:cheesy:

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wife and adult kids eat the big pizzas. I just want the boxes for targets. I don't want to pay for real targets.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts