Armed California homeowner capture housebreakers

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by allenr, May 3, 2017.

1. allenr

allenr Member

A California gun owner detected five men outside his house on his property. He sent his wife and kids to hiding, got his handgun and returned to the place where he could see the men. He found them trying to pry open a patio door. He opened the door and fired a warning shot. Two of the perps ran away but he held the other three captive until the LEOs arrived. He also took a cool photo of the BGs lying on the ground with the gun trained on them.

Just imagine what might have happened if he did not have the gun. CA laws do not make gun ownership easy.

You can read the brief story and see the photo here:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/03/us/homeowner-gun-photo-trnd/index.html

2. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Interesting that this location is about 15 minutes down the road from where I currently live, but have not seen it on the news around here?

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

CNN. I wonder if this article was vetted by the network's high momkeymonks. Seems to be "slanted" (i.e. factual) pro-gun.

4. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I stand corrected. I watch this news station and minutes after posting my above post, I saw the news on my television.

Attached Files:

5. voodooridr

voodooridr Member

I'm actually surprised that CNN didn't paint him as the bad guy

6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Well, that's one of the few stories I've heard where it worked out firing a warning shot

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Yeah I am surprised they didn't arrest him for firing a warning shot. Seems he got lucky more ways than one.

8. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Even our policy manual at my old PD said, "Generally, warning shots should not be used", as a way to discourage warning shots, but to protect an officer in the event they are used.

9. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

10. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Being in CA I am very surprised they didn't arrest him for the warning shot.
    Hadn't heard about this Havasu! Thanks for posting it!

11. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Hey girl, Allen posted it, I just commented.

A little side note, the area where this occurred I am familiar with. It is a beautiful area where the home prices start at $1.5 million plus. Most residents are hard working Vietnamese, and they know how to use guns.

12. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

My apologies Allen!!!! Thanks for posting this!

Havasu I didn't know that about the area. Glad there's still a few places left in Soacal!