Arizona drivers

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tommycourt, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I truly believe that Az has some of the most impolite, discourteous drivers in the nation. The new cars that are sold here don't have any turn signals. I believe they are an optional item. Tail gating is not the same as tailgating at the football and baseball games. You can read their license plate without looking through your review mirror. They are right on top of you! And when an emergency vehicle comes your way with lights flashing and sirens on, you are supposed to pull over to the right side of the road. In Az they need arrows to point to the right side of the road. When the "snowbirds" are here they use the left blinker to know that they are switching lanes-course they could be going over 3 lanes but to them that doesn't matter. What say you? Do you have Az drivers in your state? I love going to the range but the biggest fear I have is not getting shot at the range, it's getting run over going to the range.

Tommy

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

In Washington, people drive incredible sloooowwwwwwwww. It's not even funny. I've been trying to merge onto a 70 mph freeway, and a guy in front of me was trying to merge at 35 mph! People regularly drive 10 under all the time. And this isn't in the winter with 2 inches of ice on the roads, I'm talking dry conditions. It drives me nuts.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Tommy you don't ever want to drive in Boston then.
    I complained about Houston drivers till I was in Boston. Well I am still glad I don't have to commute to Houston anymore. I heard with so many incoming the traffic has even gotten worse. A friend of mine said people seem to think they are in a race as soon as they get behind the wheel. Oh heck no you don't signal....that will cause someone else to jump where you were signaling to go. Merging traffic has no idea what having to yield when merging onto the freeway means. The drivers I really watch are the ones driving with their bright lights on during the daytime. They are actually warning everyone watch out I drive like I am the only person on the road. Safety minded? They don't have a clue. Mirrors? They don't have an idea why cars even have them.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,

I used to go to Houston about once a year. I got on the 610 (?) loop and I about went nuts watching out for all the traffic. We would land our plane on the south side of Houston and have to drive around on the loop to the north end. But besides the speeding, they all seemed like they knew where they were going. Here in Az, some drivers have no idea of which street they want until the get right on it and then they decide to jump lanes. At times I just cringe! BTW- never been to Boston but I will take your word on it.

Tommy

5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

ahhhhhh...

I can tell you boys aint never been to Ky...:):rolleyes:

Most of the people here didn't even see a car till about 5 yrs ago...
    Heck they been wreckin mules and wagons forever.

They honestly think, that line down the middle of the hwy is to straddle to and keep em in the middle , like plowing .

Blinkers , as they call em, are only used at Christmas, cause they are purty.

I did see a guy give a turn signal the other day............his left arm sticking out the window , pointin up, then he turned left.:eek:

Yall come back now....ya hea.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jim

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

LOL. Great stories, folks; Boston really is like that. I have a story involving me, a 'salvaged' Air Force 1½ ton truck, and follow-the-leader. But it takes too long.

Anyway, nobody has mentioned Mexico City. It's like Boston on amphetamines with every driver's hand stuck to the horn button.

7. buster40c

Friend of mine while In Boston told the guy from Boston that if he ever comes to Houston don't even be laying on the horn. The guy said why the heck not. Friend said because you just might get shot.

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yeah, horn rage is a subset of road rage. In Mexico (in the '80s anyway) the horn is pretty much meaningless. Because of extreme overuse.

9. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

You guys should be happy you don't drive in Korea. When I was there in 70-71, as soon as their front bumper past yours they could legally pull over at any time. Biggest vehicle had the right of way. As for this country, in 81 I was sent Temporary Duty to Massachusetts. State Farm said I was covered since it was temporary but if I had been sent permanent I would have been cancelled.:cool:

10. RTAdmin

RTAdmin Administrator Administrator

We have some pretty bad drivers down here but it's really more to do with the terrible layouts of the cities than anything else.

11. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

Boston driving isn't that bad as long as you plan accordingly. Rush hour starts around 5:30 A.M. and lasts until around 7:30 P.M. on most days. There is a lull in the traffic from about 10:00 A.M. to 10:30 A.M. when the entire city goes to Dunkin Donuts. The good thing about our traffic is we get to read all the public service announcements as we crawl by at 10 miles per hour.

Attached Files:

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^^^ That sign is funny.

13. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

My pet peeve, not getting out of the way for emergency vehicles with lights and siren blaring.
    Probably cause my father drove ambulances.
    He told me about how people Would Not Get Out Of The Way while he's trying to get somebody to the hospital .... alive.

On a two lane road, Ambulance meeting me head on, I pull over to the shoulder, Guy behind me passes me at the same time the ambulance meets us.
    Now there's three vehicles on a two lane road and the ambulance has to SLOW for the guy that made it three wide ... on a two lane ... with an ambulance!
    Never saw one do that when it was a police car. Those red and blue lights mean the same thing, cop, ambulance or firetruck.

They need to save a life (or lives) if at all possible. Give em room.

14. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

It ain't even stupidity or arrogance - necessarily. Some folks just need to think ahead: "What do I do when I hear the siren?"

When my job took me to Phoenix, I was usually told at the rental car counter: "When you hear a siren, pull over and stop. You don't, you are likely to get a ticket."

15. buster40c

It is something else when in rush hour traffic and trying to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle. I was stuck in a traffic jam because of a wreck up ahead and a guy in front of me pilled off onto the shoulder emergency lane to see what was going on. About that time came a cop and he wrote the guy a ticket for blocking an emergency lane. Some people are just not to bright.

16. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

Yes, real life is sometimes humorous but at the same time, scary. Somedays it seems like everyone driving in MA failed their driver’s test but got licenses anyway.
    Although I did not take that picture, it is a real PSA that gets displayed all over the MA roadways. They also remind us to wear our seatbelts, not to text while driving, not to drink and drive, pull over for emergency vehicles, renew our registrations, and to drive on the right except when passing. As you can imagine, many drivers ignore all of the warnings.

I can also relate to your pet peeve. I live in a small (but ever growing town) about 30 miles south of Boston as the crow flies and as a member of the call fire department, I am always amazed, angered, and bewildered by the actions of drivers when approached by the responding emergency apparatus.