Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I am very new to AR's but not Ruger firearms. Was looking at getting a AR556 model 8500. My question is this, when i am not using 5.56 ammo I would like the opportunity of using .22lr by way of a conversion bolt kit. Is it possible?

·
Registered
287 Posts
My question is this, when i am not using 5.56 ammo I would like the opportunity of using .22lr by way of a conversion bolt kit. Is it possible?
Custom built perhaps, don't forget you'll need another barrel, mag well etc. By that time you could of bought another gun or two. I get why you want to do it, can't blame you as they are sticking it to us good out out here on ammo prices. Even .22 ain't what it used to be and I doubt when this deal blows over we will ever see pre pandemic prices again.

Look for a .22 AR chambering and if you ever have to use it in a defensive role spray and pray towards the head area.
Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sure it's possible to convert any AR rifle to .22LR with a conversion bolt kit, but your accuracy will suffer, e.g., the rifling twist in the Ruger AR-556 barrel is 1:8, which is probably about the most versatile rate for most common 5.56 projectiles out of a 16" barrel, whereas for stabilizing common .22LR ammo it's pretty much standardized at 1:16. This means that shooting .22LR out of the AR's 1:8 rifling twist barrel will over stabilize the .22 projectile, and depending on how much .22LR shooting you do, you may eventually clog the AR barrel's gas port with lead particles which could hamper the operation of the rifle when you get back to shooting 5.56...

If you plan on using alot more .22LR than anything else in an AR rifle I suggest that you either buy a dedicated .22LR AR like a S&W M&P15-22, buy a dedicated .22LR upper, or build one using a 16" CMMG kit. A separate dedicated upper will give you the best of both worlds, allowing you to easily swap calibers without issues.

I don't shoot much .22 rifle but I decided to build a dedicated AR .22 pistol as a suppressor host. I purchased a CMMG 4.5" pistol kit (barrel/bolt combination) and an Anderson Sport upper, and plopped it on a Spike's Tactical Crusader lower, then added CMMG mags, a picatinny rail adapter at the rear of the lower, and a SIG brace - it's strangely accurate and runs like a sewing machine:

With its correct 1:16 rifling twist and a dedicated barrel with no gas port to clog I can shoot .22LR all day long and not have any worries outside of the standard rimfire ammo issues such as powder residue and lead buildup.

Best wishes with whatever route you choose to take :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have the CMMG Drop in conversion and it works great .

Reactions: 0311

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sure it's possible to convert any AR rifle to .22LR with a conversion bolt kit, but your accuracy will suffer, e.g., the rifling twist in the Ruger AR-556 barrel is 1:8, which is probably about the most versatile rate for most common 5.56 projectiles out of a 16" barrel, whereas for stabilizing common .22LR ammo it's pretty much standardized at 1:16. This means that shooting .22LR out of the AR's 1:8 rifling twist barrel will over stabilize the .22 projectile, and depending on how much .22LR shooting you do, you may eventually clog the AR barrel's gas port with lead particles which could hamper the operation of the rifle when you get back to shooting 5.56...

If you plan on using alot more .22LR than anything else in an AR rifle I suggest that you either buy a dedicated .22LR AR like a S&W M&P15-22, buy a dedicated .22LR upper, or build one using a 16" CMMG kit. A separate dedicated upper will give you the best of both worlds, allowing you to easily swap calibers without issues.

I don't shoot much .22 rifle but I decided to build a dedicated AR .22 pistol as a suppressor host. I purchased a CMMG 4.5" pistol kit (barrel/bolt combination) and an Anderson Sport upper, and plopped it on a Spike's Tactical Crusader lower, then added CMMG mags, a picatinny rail adapter at the rear of the lower, and a SIG brace - it's strangely accurate and runs like a sewing machine:

With its correct 1:16 rifling twist and a dedicated barrel with no gas port to clog I can shoot .22LR all day long and not have any worries outside of the standard rimfire ammo issues such as powder residue and lead buildup.

Drewbone didn't leave anything to add. There is your answer OP.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Custom built perhaps, don't forget you'll need another barrel, mag well etc.
As usual, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. As DrewBone already covered, there are multiple off-the-shelf options for 5.56->.22LR conversion. There is no need for anything to be "custom built". And how in the world would you change out just an AR's mag well, let alone need to (you don't, of course)? The AR mag well is integral to the lower receiver, which is a single piece of machined aluminum.

·
Registered
430 Posts

I bet that thing is a blast to shoot and plink with ! 😊 I have an AR-15 1:9 twist with the 60 Grain subsonic & my drop in CMMG .22 LR conversion it's a tack driver .

Reactions: williatx12

·
Registered
287 Posts
Suga brother, if you haven't been driven away yet by all the over the top nonsense check this bad-boy out. This is what I mean by a dedicated chambering. And it's affordable, M&P brother by S&W just as good as a Ruger maybe even better.
Did I mention it's affordable.

You'll get close to 1500 fps with the right ammo and it has the correct twist rate.
You might even be able to push out to 2000 fps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Suga brother, if you haven't been driven away yet by all the over the top nonsense check this bad-boy out. This is what I mean by a dedicated chambering. And it's affordable, M&P brother by S&W just as good as a Ruger maybe even better.
Did I mention it's affordable.

You'll get close to 1500 fps with the right ammo and it has the correct twist rate.
You might even be able to push out to 2000 fps.
I’m genuinely curious as to what your setup looks like and what ammo you’re using that allows for 2000 FPS with a .22lr.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm not a .22 shooter, have absolutely no use for it. I'll only shoot what I plan to carry or use for defense. I do understand why most do, it's cheap to shoot and they simply like to shoot, I myself cannot justify it to myself. I never want to get to comfortable shooting a mouse round, cause then the recoil from my 12 gauge will really kick my a--.

The day I can't shoot my 9mm or 12 gauge, I find another hobby, and like the .22 shooter who likes to plink, so do I. (only I plink with 9mm &12 gauge)
To each their own as they say.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not a .22 shooter, have absolutely no use for it. I'll only shoot what I plan to carry or use for defense. I do understand why most do, it's cheap to shoot and they simply like to shoot, I myself cannot justify it to myself. I never want to get to comfortable shooting a mouse round, cause then the recoil from my 12 gauge will really kick my a--.

The day I can't shoot my 9mm or 12 gauge, I find another hobby, and like the .22 shooter who likes to plink, so do I. (only I plink with 9mm &12 gauge)
To each their own as they say.
To each their own is right, however I can say I’ve never heard of anyone becoming so accustomed to shooting small calibers that their experience and comfort with larger calibers diminishes to the point of unpleasant shooting or disappears outright. Discounting .22 as a practical round for purposes other than just plinking would be rooted more in personal preference than any practical reason.

I would recommend trying it more but the selfish part of me thinks prices are already too high and I’d like to keep more available for the rest of us who do enjoy it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Full disclosure here, I did qualify with a.22 for my CCW permit, (it's the only way I could) I conveniently forgot my pocket 9 at home that day. :)
Have fun and enjoy yourself and remember if the need arises spray and pray towards the head area.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Full disclosure here, I did qualify with a.22 for my CCW permit, (it's the only way I could) I conveniently forgot my pocket 9 at home that day. :)
Have fun and enjoy yourself and remember if the need arises spray and pray towards the head area.
Which state burdened you with that qualification?

Spray and pray isn’t recommended for any firearm. Judicious marksmanship under any circumstance, please and thank you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Judicious marksmanship under any circumstance
Can't afford to get good, any thing beyond 30 feet I avoid. (note feet not yards) My 9mm is the get off me gun and the 'plinker' (a.k.a. the beast) handles the rest. When I hit the range they all step aside. I might even make a New York city cop look good. o_O

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can't afford to get good, any thing beyond 30 feet I avoid. (note feet not yards) My 9mm is the get off me gun and the 'plinker' (a.k.a. the beast) handles the rest. When I hit the range they all step aside. I might even make a New York city cop look good. o_O
I’m not sure how to respond to this. Good luck, maybe?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Good, sound tactical advice from the internet right there.
Certainly no expert just common sense. Carry what you like but understand the limitations. It all sounds and looks good on paper but often times it's not based on real reality. Despite what the internet commandos may say. Some say luck is only in horseshoes and hand-grenades how much better than a mouse caliber, who's to say.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts