Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have an AR556 MPR 16.1” …. I put Magpul BUIS on it because it‘s the closest I can get to old school M16A2 iron sights. And now I’m ready to move to an optic of some sort.

It appears that the Sig Romeo 5 is a really solid entry level option. So, I bought one of those. It’s okay. But it feels like I will move it to my wife’s Diamondback. And then find something that is on par with the AR556 MPR potential.

Interested in recommendations. Especially since all my experience with M16/AR15 platforms is iron sights.

Help a brother!

· Registered
263 Posts
Are you looking for something magnified or not? If you want anything more than a red dot, you could take a look at a bunch of different 1-6x/1-8x LPVO options. Entry level price point is not too bad, and many companies make simple and straightforward BDC reticles.

What didn't you like about the Romeo? That would be important feedback before giving any recommendations on red dots.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you looking for something magnified or not? If you want anything more than a red dot, you could take a look at a bunch of different 1-6x/1-8x LPVO options. Entry level price point is not too bad, and many companies make simple and straightforward BDC reticles.

What didn't you like about the Romeo? That would be important feedback before giving any recommendations on red dots.
I don't think it is that I didn't like anything about the Romeo so much as it was quite basic. Magnification and reticle choices feel like good adds. Basically, other than a single red reticle, I don't see how the Romeo is much different than iron sights. At least if you "grew up" shooting iron sights, which I did starting with an M-16A1.

I really don't think I need/want to drop the $$ that an ACOG requires (although they appear to be a damn fine set of optics). The Ruger really fills the role of general purpose all around gun for me: Home defense, backwoods, bug out, zombie apocalypse. I have other AR-15's, but this one is a go to long gun for me. Given that, if I'm going to move to an optic, it should do more than just be an electronic replacement for iron sights.

· Registered
263 Posts
Understood. I like the ACOG, and it's great to zero and then not mess with, but there are so many more versatile optics out there now. I have used the majority of Primary Arms magnified optics and I like most of them. They offer a 1-8x in FFP and one in SFP that are both sub $500, so by the time you get a decent mount you are still in the $600 price range. I run the 1-8x second focal plane on a 2-gun rifle and have been using it off and on for 4 years now and it has held up and worked well for me. The 1-8x first focal plane lives on one of my wife's ARs and she has been happy with it.

Both have easy-to-use and not overly complicated BDC reticles in them. The other option you could go with is a red dot and a magnifier setup. Personally, I like having an LPVO better, but even the dot and magnifier would be an advantage over just an iron sight replacement.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@0311 thanks! Just the sort of input I was looking for from a real world user. I can read reviews to my heart's content, but they don't tell me about using them in a meaningful way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts