Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have posted a picture of this rifle before. I did when I first bought it, and stated that it was my first AR15. I knew nothing at all about the AR style of rifle. Never even fired one and I have had guns all my life. They really never even interested me, really just bought this one on a whim, spur of the moment kinda thing.
This AR-556 was really going to teach me how they work and operate. Thought I would just leave it stock. Should have known better. Here is the list of what has been done so far, and it is really complete as I want it to be.
1. Leapers UFG Pro Slim Free Float Hand Guard ( I tried a different one but realized I wanted something Skinnier)
2. Tactical Angled Fore grip (broke my left arm as a youngster and it was not properly set so this is a must have)
3. RA-140 SST 3.5 Lb. Drop In Trigger
4. Fab Defense GL-MAG Stock Black Collapsible Magazine-Carrier Survival + 10
5. Anti-Walk Hammer Trigger Pins
6. A2 Ball .071 Diameter Front Sight Post
7. Extended Frt & Rr TDP,"Enhanced Feature", Detent Pins
8. UTG Low Profile Flip-up BUIS Folding Rear&Front Sight
9.Ambidextrous Dual Loop AR Platform Receiver End Sling Plate
10. Magpul MIAD GEN 1.1 GRIP KIT (with oil bottle)
11. Quick Release PEPR 30mm/1" Cantilever Flat Top Rifle Scope Mount
12. Barska SWAT-AR 1-4x28 Scope
13. Ambidextrous Raptor Charging
I probably will end up buying a better and little more powerful scope. Older eye's
For something that I thought I would never be interested in I have taken such a liking to this rifle. I fits me very well and just a joy to shoot.
If I buy another one I would just build it the way I wanted it from the bigging and save some money, or buy one already built that way. But I am very happy with my Ruger and it has done the job and taught me alot.
Ruger A+

·
Registered
685 Posts
I learned to hate the AR platform back in the 70's when I was in the Marine Corps. I wanted a M14 and could not understand why they didn't adopt the Mini 14.

I continued working on them though until about 7 years ago when I bought one just because I still could. Didn't shoot it much, pretty much stayed in the safe.

Then I scoped it and found I had a sub MOA carbine! All of a sudden the MSR became interesting to me. I built a long barreled one in 223 Wylde for groundhogs. I just finished my second complete build, this one in 300 BLK for hog and deer hunting about 1t0 yards or less. I want another in 25x45 Sharps or .277 Wolverine for deer out to about 400 yards. Plus I just bought a dedicated 9mm stripped lower to build an AR9.

Guess they kind of grew on me.

·
Registered
685 Posts
My latest build. And I agree with you. Build your own. It's cheaper that modifying what you bought, and you most likely will modify it. Plus there is no better way to know your firearm.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
I completely agree.

Building own is way to go. Especially if you are going to use so many custom parts.

I have built 4 now.

One for me, one for nephew, one for niece. I built those for free of course.

But, I also built one for a buddy who gave me a used Nikon Monarch 3 scope for the work. Exterior was all scratched up but functions perfectly.

Will see if I can get a picture of the one I built for my nephew. I had that bad boy pimped out big time :machinegun:

Doc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts