AR-556 Handguard Q?

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by RugerNut, Nov 29, 2016.

1. RugerNut

RugerNut Member

2. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I don't own the AR556 but I believe it is designed so all standard AR accessories will work on it. I'm positive the Magpul will because I'm 99% sure I've seen the Ruger with Magpul accessories on it.

3. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

As you probably found out on the other post that was started on another site.
    Yes it will fit. I bought the Magpul for mine put it on then decided to free float mine.

4. jwshootster68

jwshootster68 New Member

I do own an AR556 and did put an aftermarket handguard on it. It's a Troy indudustries 13" vtac alpha rail. However, in saying that it was quite a job to get the old barrel nut off. Not sure how they put them on at the factory but it was super tight.

5. RugerNut

RugerNut Member

What exactly are you referring to? :dunno:

6. jwshootster68

jwshootster68 New Member

I apologize for the confusion. I am new to the forum and got excited when I saw that I could try and help someone. As I found out when doing my handguard on my AR556 any handguard will fit you may just have to put a mil-spec barrel nut on or the proprietary one for that brand. As far as the original barrel nut and fit of handguards I'm not completely sure. Again, I apologize for any confusion.

7. RugerNut

RugerNut Member

JW, you didn't confuse me, or, anyone else that I am aware of. I'm sure you might have helped someone out there in the AR world.
    I knew how to install a drop in hand guard on my AR-556, but, a friend suggested that I watch a video on YT about installing an MAGPUL MOE SL hand guard onto my AR-556.. He stated that it was tricky and the video would help with the install. And, he was correct! (Thanks Charlie :Cooltu: )
    Here is a pic of my AR-556 with a MAGPUL MOE stock and MOE SL hand guard installed.
    [​IMG]

8. jwshootster68

jwshootster68 New Member

That looks pretty slick! When I was looking around for mine I was pushed in another direction. Here is a picture of mine. ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1485702068.791330.jpg

9. RugerNut

RugerNut Member

JW, that's the cats a**! I LIKE IT! But, you NEED a MAGPUL stock. Let me help you spend your money; :D

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=1111&name=Magpul+CTR+Carbine+Stock+-+Mil-Spec

If I had your AR, this stock would be on it. AIM SURPLUS has FREE SHIPPING on A LOT of its inventory. I buy plenty of parts from them.
    :Cooltu:

10. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

The magpul more is a drop in. No need to swap the barrel nut.

11. RugerNut

RugerNut Member

Who is changing their barrel nut for an MOE drop in hand guard? :dunno:

12. jwshootster68

jwshootster68 New Member

That would be me. I missed the part about the drop in. I will try to read better next time.

13. RugerNut

RugerNut Member

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I have selective hearing around my g/f sometimes. Now, that's something to worry about! :eek: