Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

AR-556 in 350 Legend - about 200 rounds through it. Cleaned carefully before firing. Fired only the Winchester 145 gr FMJ so far. Last time out, noticed a dent or crease in the ejected casings. It is about 3/16" to 1/4" long. not too deep, but a definite "crease" and is about 1/3 of the way up from the base. The "crease" is perpendicular to the axis of the cartridge. I have been savings brass, probably get about 2/3's of what I fire. Looked at previous cases and compared to the latest ones, the "crease" looks a bit worse. There are a few that do not really have it, and I assume were the earliest ones fired. I cannot tell you the orientation of the cartridge in the chamber - just noticed this and have not marked any cases to see where the mark is in relation to the orientation of the cartridge. Will do that next time at the range, but a little concerned. Shoots fine and no ejection or feeding problems noted.

Hopefully you can see via the attached photo - near top of the image.

Ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi,

AR-556 15 in 350 Legend -
Hopefully you can see via the attached photo - near top of the image.

Ideas? Thanks!
I see it, best guess ejector/spring. Give Ruger a call and see what they think, perhaps the best gun service in the industry. No written warranty needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see it, best guess ejector/spring. Give Ruger a call and see what they think, perhaps the best gun service in the industry. No written warranty needed.
Thank you I wondered if it might have something to do with the ejector, but could not figure out why that direction for the mark - but, will call them for sure. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thank you I wondered if it might have something to do with the ejector, but could not figure out why that direction for the mark - but, will call them for sure. Thanks for the response.
Is all of your ejected brass the same way with the indentation, or just some that you picked up?
If it is from the ones you picked up, it could be from where and how they landed.
If it is all expended brass, it could be that you need to carefully and thoroughly inspect the chamber. See what may cause this. Insert a spent case, then eject it slowly while inspecting the method of eject. Visually inspect it to see if the case hits anything on its way out. You may want to have several of the cases and eject them in sequence while visually inspecting them. There is a possibility that the case was dented prior to loading. But in this case I think that when fired the outward pressure in the case would have removed its dent.
As for the mark of an ejector, The claw mark of an ejector would be more to the end of base case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is all of your ejected brass the same way with the indentation, or just some that you picked up?
If it is from the ones you picked up, it could be from where and how they landed.
If it is all expended brass, it could be that you need to carefully and thoroughly inspect the chamber. See what may cause this. Insert a spent case, then eject it slowly while inspecting the method of eject. Visually inspect it to see if the case hits anything on its way out. You may want to have several of the cases and eject them in sequence while visually inspecting them. There is a possibility that the case was dented prior to loading. But in this case I think that when fired the outward pressure in the case would have removed its dent.
As for the mark of an ejector, The claw mark of an ejector would be more to the end of base case.
Thanks
Definitely not from hitting the ground (and they are all from shots I fired) and no unfired cartridges have the mark. Do not recall anything odd in the chamber at last cleaning but will double check and try to replicate with a spent cartridge.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dents like that in brass are usually from the case hitting the shell deflector. Is the brass also ending up at 2 o'clock from where you are shooting? You can do a few different things at this point, but before you start calling customer service try different ammo. I have no 350 experience, however, this is a common thing on 300BLK and 5.556 AR's. It could be just that particular load in your AR, or that brass might be a little bit softer. From the size of the dent in your picture, I would not worry about it.

If that is the ammo you will primarily use and the dents bother you, you could add a heavier buffer or spring, or both. I would still just recommend trying different ammo first. If it happens to every case and on all of the different loads you shoot out of the gun, you might have a gas issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dents like that in brass are usually from the case hitting the shell deflector. Is the brass also ending up at 2 o'clock from where you are shooting? You can do a few different things at this point, but before you start calling customer service try different ammo. I have no 350 experience, however, this is a common thing on 300BLK and 5.556 AR's. It could be just that particular load in your AR, or that brass might be a little bit softer. From the size of the dent in your picture, I would not worry about it.

If that is the ammo you will primarily use and the dents bother you, you could add a heavier buffer or spring, or both. I would still just recommend trying different ammo first. If it happens to every case and on all of the different loads you shoot out of the gun, you might have a gas issues.
Hi, there; Had not thought of that (the deflector). Not sure about where the brass ends up - have (and this is a bit odd for me) only fired the gun at an indoor range so far (I prefer outdoor ranges). They are bouncing off the side of the "booth" so not certain what direction they are taking out of the gun. If cannot get to the outdoor range, will have my son watch where the casings go next time. I do have different ammo I can try, so will do that also. Shooting the FMJs strictly for (relatively) cheap target/practice ammo. I have some of the Winchester 180gr soft points for hunting and will try those out. Thank you for the suggestions...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi, there; Had not thought of that (the deflector). Not sure about where the brass ends up - have (and this is a bit odd for me) only fired the gun at an indoor range so far (I prefer outdoor ranges). They are bouncing off the side of the "booth" so not certain what direction they are taking out of the gun. If cannot get to the outdoor range, will have my son watch where the casings go next time. I do have different ammo I can try, so will do that also. Shooting the FMJs strictly for (relatively) cheap target/practice ammo. I have some of the Winchester 180gr soft points for hunting and will try those out. Thank you for the suggestions...
No problem! Did you have a chance to try those other rounds?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts