Anyone try the new precision rifle?

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by sirhc, Jul 20, 2015.

1. sirhc

sirhc New Member

Just curious if there is anyone who took a few shots with this new rifle. I've read and viewed the few online reviews but I'd like to hear what a "regular guy or girl" would think. I have to say I'm interested...

Thanks
    Chris

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have to say, I also am somewhat interested in this new rifle,

and would also like to hear from anyone here that has seen, or shot one.

Jim

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I am too decrepit to be 'regular', and too set in my ways to like 'black rifles'. Ruger could be making a production run on something nice instead.

;)

4. phideaux

You left out "mean " and "ornery"

:D

Jim

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Those were 'assumed'.

6. sirhc

sirhc New Member

Lol, I'd love a few words from a "mean and ornery" reviewer also :). Maybe that would be a more accurate review.

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

There's an NRA sponsored report out on the gun, including extensive long range shooting of the 6.5 Creedmoor version. Apparently some good engineering went into it. Still a 'black rifle' though, no matter how good it shoots.

8. sirhc

sirhc New Member

Thanks Vtillman, I'll check that out. It is a black rifle but my interest is meat oriented. The Moose would never know! :) However, it's a heavy gun for hunting...

9. timbo762

timbo762 New Member

I actually got to look one over at my local shop and it looks very well put together and handled surprisingly well off hand. I liked it and I am now looking for funds to get one.

10. hodge

hodge New Member

Welcome to the forum!

11. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

The wife said no!

12. hodge

hodge New Member

After reading this thread, I went to the Ruger site to look at it- wow! Looks like a well thought out performer that is a great value. It is exciting to see Ruger putting out high-value firearms.

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I think I get a sense of the gun's attractiveness as a long range out-of-the-box-accurate rifle, that doesn't require selling one's daughters into slavery to afford.

:cool:

14. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

I want that 6.5! What a sweet rifle!

15. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

16. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture New Member

I have two. One in 6.5 Creedmoor, and one in 308/7.62. Fit and finish is excellent, at least for black rifles. They are a bit heavy to carry over the mountains for hours, or days chasing game. That is a given with a barrel that tapers from 1 to 0.75-inches.

Both will shoot sub 1/2 moa, if I do my part, and I think they can shoot better than I can hold them.

Plan to hunt wolves with the 6.5. The wolves have figured out humans shoot at them, and that most people cant hit them out past 200-yards, so they hang back at about 300-yards, unless you surprise them. The Creedmoor should be able to reach out 600-yards, and say HELLO!!!

The 308, may get rebarreled to 338 Federal, for Moose. Have to draw a tag though before I do that.

17. msere123

msere123 New Member

I have the precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. Took it out for sight in and was confused. Two shots same hole, next two shots same hole half minute to the right same for the next round. Could the barrel be heating up this fast and cause this or is it just my old ass? Anyone else experiencing this?

18. sirhc

sirhc New Member

"Both will shoot sub 1/2 moa"

Wow, I like the sound of that!
    Chris

19. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

20. phideaux

Any particular reasons?

I been thinking , I might pick one up,

Jim