Anyone running Ruger in competitions?

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by ArizonaHeat, Feb 28, 2013.

1. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

I was looking at starting to shoot some IDPA events possibly this summer if not next year for sure.

Was wondering if there was any competitive shooters here, and if anyout there was running a Ruger in any of the various competitive events out there? See any others running them? How are they performing? Would love to hear your experiences...

Currently have the SR40c which is my daily carry, will probably get a full sized SR40 to run with though for the mag capacity ( yeah I know the compact takes the 15 round mags, my hand doesn't like the sleeve )

2. Techpcpro

Techpcpro New Member

Here in NY we can barely run competitions. Use a search engine and type in IDPA or IPSC USPSA and the. Search for your state.

3. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Was born and raised in NY had to suffer through Mario's regime got out before his kid took the throne though luckily. Keep fighting the good fight and overcome those opressive idiots in Albany.

Competition wise I was curious if any members are/were competition shooters, and if so what personal experience(s) they felt like sharing. Especially of running a Ruger in one.

I have already found a club here that does IDPA and a few other organizations. Just a matter of saving for the full size gun and dues for the club and IDPA membership.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  4. redhawk4life

redhawk4life New Member

I would use what u are comfortable with and see if you are truly interested in it. At that time take the step up to a new gun. I use my older gp100 for wheelgun competitions. My newer one just doesnt feel the same, it is probably just mental on my part. Only two words of advice are Practice and Reload.

5. Techpcpro

Techpcpro New Member

There is no need to save up for the full size pistol. In fact those of you in free states are allowed to conceal carry so I would use what you carry. I would think a Glock 19 or a Ruger P85 is something that can be carried all day. Both are die hard pistols and great for IDPA. Also both can be picked up for next to nothing used because they were used by some police forces. We can still get a Glock 19 Generation 2 here for 300-350. Also around here you can get an old Sig 226 DOA for about the same price. All are great and all can get you in at a great price.

Also don't forget about revolvers. You can pick up Security 6's and Model 10's in .38 for dirt cheap and .357's for equally great prices. Speed loaders for revolvers cost about 10-11 dollars form HKS.