Anyone have the new Ruger American 9mm or .45 pistols??

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by RedSoxRugers, Jul 12, 2016.

1. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

It seems that every gun magazine that's out these days has the new Ruger American on the cover
    or an article covering one.

Moslty in 9mm...as I've not seen or read one for the .45 yet.

The NINE specimen that I handled locally last month had a nice trigger.

Not SIG striker-fired nice, but better than my old Glocks and my Springers.

At elast that's what it seemd like to me.

Reportedly low recoil and good accuracy.

I'm waiting for the MOD 2 Five inch TACTICAL model to come out in FDE...
    so the Ruger American might be fun to play around with before the TAC
    comes out.

I do know that the American looks kinda odd, but their 9mm fit me quite
    well. at 30 some ounces, I'd not be carrying it, but I don't my MOD 2
    Service Model, either.

Nor would I carry the 5 inch Tactical.

Range or Home Defense would be the modes for the American.

Go Boston,,Go American League!!

2. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I'd probaby buy one but the grip rubbed my thumb too much when I rented one. Seems like a top quality pistol with a good trigger.

3. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I'm trying to justify one. They shoot sweet. I'm getting frugal and practical. I now sell something before buying something. :D

4. DNS

DNS New Member

When is the 5" tactical model supposed to come out?

5. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

Hi, don't really know.

They might offer the 5 inch TAC in gray, before the FDE.

I've never owned a FDE or tan firearm, so it would be my first.

As for me trading for a Ruger American in 9mm at a local shop.

My Minty MOD 2 Sub-compact 9mm with box and mags ect.

I might get $200 for it.

Seems like my years of trading around Glocks and Rugers..
    going to the Springfields has been a mistake as far as
    trade in or resell value.

The same can be said about my XD-S with extra mags and 2 holsters..
    a whopping $300 for trade-in..

I'm used to losing a bit if I do trade with Dealers..and any private sales in this
    state are now vorboten by 2 years or so by the Bloomburgers.

again..just brutal when it comes to resale with the XD-S or MOD 2 pistols.

That said.//out of my XD-S .45, the XD-S 9mm, and the MOD 2 .45
    and SC 9mm.

My XD MOD 2 Service Model has the best trigger out of my 4
    Springer pistols.

The 5 incher is supposed to be even better,,trigger and accuracy wise.
    one expert says its close to a 1911 trigger..if that's even possible?

No doubt.. the Custom Shop would be involved to get that degree
    of a trigger pull?

However, I found that my 4 minutes of fondling the American
    it had a more Glock-like trigger.

Pretty light and crisp trigger for a stock striker-fired 9mm.
    No reall issue with the rest, but not much time at all spent with the
    gun like I would have liked to do.

Not so sure that I will like it if I fire it and it rubs my thumb or
    has other peculiar traits.

If not that one locally, then I'll eventually get one somewhere
    else. Just don't know if I want to lose $200 or more on a gun
    (or 2) to get
    to Ruger polymer perfection.

6. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

Here are some pics. Small backstrap.

[​IMG]
    They say that you can use the supplied wrench to change them out, but
    mine is super tight. The gun fits me better than my XD MOD 2 9mm.

[​IMG]

I'm hoping that it will be a soft, sweet shooting Ruger, and have more trade-in value than
    a XD-S or a MOD 2 if I don't like it for some reason.

My XD-S .45 with extra mags and holsters seems impossible to sell right now.

It seems like people these days look at the XD-S as a pocket gun and
    don't even carry a spare mag.

My aging hands don't care for the lightweight .45s recoil.

On the flipside, the American is big for a 9mm, or at least I think so.

Should be a pussycat to shoot though.

7. Tamlibtoim

Tamlibtoim New Member

I just put another 200 through my American 9 today. Very comfortable gun to shoot for me. I use the large blackstrap on it. My wife even likes the way it shoots, she didn't mention it being to large or rubbing thumbs or knuckles like I keep reading in the magazines. It's my new favorite!

8. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

Report on my new RAP in 9mm

I shot mine for the first time yesterday. I cleaned and put on the backstrap that seemed to suit my trigger and mag drop reach (the small one) I grabbed up 6 different kinds of FMJ and three of JHP and went to the range.
    1. As would be expected, the mags are a little stiff on loading.
    2. No misfires or failure to eject in about 200 rounds.
    3. Seems to like 147gr best in both FMJ and JHP. 147fmj american eagle best with about 2" @ 15 and 10 yards. Federal LE HST normal pressure best overall at about 1.5". 115gr. Fiocchi best at about 2 " .
    4. Corbon 115 gr PDX all copper HP +P and Hornady 124gr +P both shot fine neither uncomfortable.
    5. nice soft shooter, heavy but not uncomfortable for a long range session. Very nice manufacture .
    I am happy with the purchase and if you are looking for a good home defense and sometimes range action shooter this may be the one.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  9. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

Update:

I traded my RAP 9mm ( didn't like the trigger reach with any backstrap)
    and another gun for this beauty.
    [​IMG]
    I'm much happier with the more expensive SR 1911 CMD.

However, even though I found the RAP 9 to be pretty big and
    heavy for a 9mm, I think that weight would be good for a
    home defense .45 ACP pistol.

So, even though I might buy the RAP 9mm Compact, I think that I'll
    sit back and wait for a good deal on a used RAP .45:)

My need for a Ruger LCR in 9mm for around $400 will come first
    in 2017.

I'll hopefully be able to sell my flubbed up SP-101 in Jan or so.

I'm just addicted to the LCR platform and the 9mm cartridge in general.

10. hodge

hodge New Member

That is a beauty- I LOVE mine. Which has been what's held me back from getting the RAP compact- if I had it, I'd still go back to the SR.

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have been looking at this model and the thing that I noticed it is the same weight (within and ounce or 2) of the 1911LW Commander. I really like the 1911 platform however during our summers it does get heavy to wear all day. The one thing I don't like is the trigger blade safety. I had 2 Glocks before and I detested the blade safety on the trigger. One was a 19 and the other was a 26. The 26 safety was so sharp that I took a round file to it to try to flatten it. That didn't work so I lightly tried a dremmel tool but I was afraid to grind too much of it off. I ended up trading them and went to the SR1911's and am much happier. I'll take the extra weight over the disdain I have for the trigger.

Tommy

12. hodge

hodge New Member

While I don't mind the safety triggers, I appreciate my 1911's more than any other platform. I have Glocks, and they are fine, reliable weapons, but my 1911's are pure joy.
    If I were limited to only one gun, it would be my SR1911 LWC in 45, no doubt.

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

"If I were limited to only one gun" I would go on the warpath with it. A good slingshot in a hip pocket, and a 'tactical' pen in a chest pocket. Hillary's menagerie, be ready. One gun, phooey.

14. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Hey Tommy, how do you carry your 1911?

15. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Savage,

I am right handed and carry it in a OWB holster that I had built by a guy in Phoenix. I will say this though, I am thinking of getting a cross draw holster and carry it on my left side. The reason for that is seatbelts. When driving down the road, my seat belt limit my ability to get the pistol out of the holster in a hurry should the occasion arise. Even in my Model A's, I installed seat belts and they also limit the ability to get the pistol out. Those seat belts are lap belts only. On my old Lincoln (1979) it has the across the shoulder belt and it rides right up next to the holster. I want to talk to my holster guy and get his input and recommendations on whether I should and at what would be the best angle of the holster. The holster he made for me fits my SR1911LW extremely well and rides close to my hip. It is also made of real fine calf leather. Out here we had a shooter that was shooting people driving down the streets and freeway also, so that's my reasoning. What do you think and what suggestions would you recommend? Appreciate all replies from whomever reads this thread!!!

Tommy

16. kyhunter

kyhunter Member

Just a thought even though it is a late to post thought but I have shot various MFG striker fired 9, 40 and my own Ruger sr45. I also have a Ruger 1911. IMHO striker fired pistols are often referenced or talked about concerning their trigger pull being very firm. Mine was until Doc helped me get a kit installed to make it better. I may be wrong but seems most strikers have triggers in the 5 to 7 pound range when measured with a gage that eliminates the estimations. What I also seem to observe is when at the range and you let someone borrow a hammer fired pistol 1911 type often these same people shoot better groups. Not great but better than what they were shooting and frequently comment on the nice trigger. For personal defense maybe a pistol with high capacity is what is desired for 7 to 10 yards but from what I observe the heavier trigger pull is the great influence in overall accuracy and confidence. No offense to striker fired guns. Just my observations.
    KY

17. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

who is doc?

18. kyhunter

kyhunter Member

Sorry DrDenby is a nice fellow who on the gunsmithing portion of this site who made a suggestion to help me with a heavy trigger. IMHO heavy triggers are one of the leading reasons for poor accuracy in centerfire pistols. Obviously shooter skills and experience and other factors clearly come into play, but heavy triggers from mfgs are a significant contributor to poor accuracy and disappointment in our shooting results. Hope this helps Sorry for the longer answer. KY

19. wing35

wing35 New Member

I bought a brand new Ruger American Compact Pistol in 9mm and after cleaning and lubing it took it to the range. After almost 200 rounds, I got a failure to fire. Nothing looked wrong at first and I pulled back the slide to look and didn't see a problem, so I dropped the mag, reinserted it and still would not fire (Herter brass ammo). So I then realized that the slide was not fully seated in battery and I was unable to get it to do so. I tried to lock the slide back and it would not lock back. I asked a range worker to help and they couldn't do it either so I had to take it to the onsite gunsmith. He got the slide off and said he thought the recoil spring was jumping up off the guiderod. So I returned the gun to the dealer since it was warranted by Davidsons and they Fedexed me a new gun two days later.

So I took the new gun out to the range after cleaning and lubing it and again shot close to 200 rounds. I did not have the same problem but it did have two times where the empty casing stovepiped. The first time it easily popped out. The second time it was wedged in good with the pressure of the slide and the magazine would not release and I couldn't get the slide back enough to get the casing out. So I grabbed a key out of my pocket and used it to flick the casing out, at which point all worked fine again.

So, I'm not super experienced with pistols like many of you and just wondering g if the stovepipes were "normal" for a breaking in period or were possibly user error of some type or if I have another problem with another new gun?

Report this post Delete post

20. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

reply to you inquiry.

I know it is easy to judge, but I am just trying to help you. The biggest cause of stovepipes (other than poorly loaded reloads) is what is called limp wristing. You have a fairly heavy pistol there and after 200 rounds (or even a hundred) it is easy to do. Clean your pistol, take it to the range and after each 50 shots, sit down and relax for a while. see if there is an improvement. nothing bad on you it is a simple physics issue called inertia. Good luck and good shooting.