Anyone have the new LCP custom?

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by jamain, Apr 22, 2015.

1. jamain

jamain New Member

HI Guys

I just wanted to know who has the new lcp custom and how do you like it?
    im new to Ruger as im a S&W fan I bought a Taurus tcp before Christmas what a big mistake that was I will never own another one so I was looking to
    getting a S&W bodyguard. then yesterday I get a book in the mail with the new lcp custom in it I liked what I seen so im going to be buying one soon.
    just wanted a little input on this pistol

Thank you
    Jeff US ARMY VET;)

2. Iowalefty

Iowalefty New Member

I will be interested in the responses as well. I have been looking at these myself.

3. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

The trigger is improved over the standard LCP. Overall, the LCP has only size in its favor. I own one, but classify it for what is was designed for. Up close personal defense or deep CCW. Even with an "improved" trigger do not expect it to magically turn into a range pistol with the short barrel.

PSA recently had new, non-custom 2nd gen LCPs on sale for $200 + S&H. A bargain. They also had LC9s for $260 delivered, a better value. The LCP is the second smallest gun I have ever owned or shot. It is not inspirational. If you know that before purchasing, then your expectations will be met. I carry my LCP in a gym bag wherever I go.

The customs can be purchased for around $275-$295. I would not pay more or get too impulsive to buy one.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  4. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

I have the regular Elsie Pea and use an Uncle George wallet type holster with it.
    Here's a video on the LCP Custom.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mua6vY1dyak[/ame]

5. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

It looks better in the video. It's not a bad gun and I would probably never sell mine, but I have several others I prefer more overall.

6. jamain

jamain New Member

Hey Nick could you help me out and let me know where Icould
    fine one for 275-295.? I checked my local gun shop he has them
    for 335 out the door I really wanted the body guard but he told
    me the custom was a better pistol

Take Care
    Jeff US ARMY VET

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

In the above video they also have a video comparing the LCP380, the Glock 42, and the Sig P238. The Sig P238 shot best out of the three. granted the Sig costs around $450 to $700 depending where you find one. A friend of mine let me shoot his Sig P238 and I was totally liking it.
    Also the video was not shooting the new custom LCP in the comparison so the new custom probably would have been liked better than the original LCP of old.
    Here is a really nice site for finding best deals on any make gun.
    http://gunwatcher.com/gun/71AE666B8CFC1A/lcp-custom
    I would say if your LGS has it for $335 out the door that is as close to $295 as you can get and with tax that 295 will be dang near $335 out the door. If you found an LCP custom that had to be shipped to you then you have freight and ffl fees added on which would put you more than likely over your LGS price. I would take a trip to your LGS while he still has one.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  8. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Subscribe to Palmetto State Armory's email list and they run sales on Rugers and Sigs. The Ruger prices are the cheapest I have seen on sale.

9. marcinstl

marcinstl New Member

I have never been able to track down the details, if any, of the agreements between Ruger and Kel-Tec for the obvious copying of the K-T P3AT. maybe there was no agreement and Ruger just borrowed the design and then adapted it for Ruger production, sales&marketing. anyway, here's the original--- http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/p-3at/pistol/ the .380 is the big brother of the P-32 (a more soft shooting, easy to manage little pistol. http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/p-32/pistol/
    before you buy, hold the gun, dry fire it or live fire it if possible. many of the small double action feeling triggers on pocket guns are disappointing and don't lead to any more than 0 to 7 foot accuracy.
    (ah, just for grins when your at the gun store ask them if they have an LCRx or a S&W j-frame you can fondle-- ya never know, ya might be a revolver kind of guy.)

10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Ruger also copied the KelTec PF9 when they made the LC9. I read reports the LC9 handles recoil better than the PF9. I owned a PF9 and sold it after getting it repaired due to it completely failed to fire with less than 300 rounds. Seems Ruger bettered the KelTec again.

11. marcinstl

marcinstl New Member

K-T is a small, privately owned company, nowhere near as big as the stockholder owned Ruger. K-T always seems to be struggling with growing pains (larger facility and quality control) also getting their designs into production and to the market. (ever try to buy a PMR30 or a Sub2000?).
    I like the P-32, it's my shirt pocket gun. I'll pass on the .380 and light weight 9mm's, to snappy for me. for the same money I spent on a pre-owned but never fired S&W mdl. 36 (steel, 20oz. j-frame), I could have bought a 13.5 oz. LCRx. when I'm blasting those 158gr. bullets at the target I love the extra 6oz., I can get thru a box of 50. now for some real shooting pleasure grab a P-series Ruger, huh, that's a gun. GP100 would work too.

12. billsglock43

billsglock43 New Member

Jamaine.... I had the bodyguard and it was back at SW 5 times for ft fire. They finally bought it back. Now I have the lcp custom and love it

13. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to RugerTalk Billsglock43,

Thanks for joining.

I encourage you to introduce yourself in Introductions,

Thanks

Jim

14. michLCP

michLCP New Member

I have the the Custom, I love it although I never had the original, sites are much better than P3AT and the trigger is a nice addition, no pinching when firing. Im not sure what the polished guide rod changes but it looks good lol. I added a 13 lb. guide rod spring which seems to improve the recoil a bit and also a custom takedown pin which makes takedown a breeze. It's a nice gun and I'd recommend it for the few extra dollars. Like what's stated above its a up close and personal handgun, sites are nice but it's not a long range gun and I don't think anyone would expect it to be.

15. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to RugerTalk michLCP,

Thanks for joining, and thanks for your first post.

I encourage you to go to Introductions, and tell us a bit about yourself,
    thats tradition.

Thanks

Jim

16. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

first welcome to the forum from the Pacific NW. Next, I don't own one but when I was looking for a ccw 4 months ago a friend loaned me one while he was at the range. The trigger was better than my son-in-laws regular, but, I am an older guy and one mag was all my hands were able to stand. I was never a glock fan but I rented a g42 at the range and it was much better in terms of recoil, and it is what I bought.

17. louchia

louchia Member

I have the 2nd gen LCP that I like very much. The improvements in the custom are the improved sights, stainless guide rod and larger red trigger. I didn't think any or all of those was worth the extra money.
    The LCP, IMHO, is a close up point and shoot gun.
    It's a great summer carry gun. Very concealable and comfortable under lighter close.
    I would get a 7 rnd mag and or pierce mag extensions. I also got a Hogue grip which reduces felt recoil a lot.

18. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

You are taking about an LCP Gen 2 like this one. ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1433531780.220254.jpg
    Yes it is an excellent easy to shoot Summer carry pistol. Great trigger I should add.